Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy shirts?

• 03-04-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

I have a serious issue when it comes to buying shirts, i can never find any that fit well without requiring tailoring.

i have a 17/17.5" neck, broad shoulders, and a slim waist. large shirts always fit perfectly across the chest but are waaay too tight in the arms and shoulders and its rare that i can button up the top button. Extra large usually fit but are super baggy and need tailoring and still never have the slim look that i like in shirts and STILL usually can't close the top button comfortably.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any brands that tailor to a larger athletic build, i've thought about getting made to measure shirts but they seem to be quite expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I too am tall and broad shoulders; are you talking about formal shirts to wear with a tie? I find TM Lewin slim fit to be pretty good - the shirt isn't bet onto you but at the same time it isn't baggy either. There's a good fit on the shoulder and arms so you aren't restricted with movement either.

The best fitting slim shirt I have is from Louis Copeland, their own brand one, but at €120 a shirt they might be too pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm tall and skinnyish. It may not be of use to you but to me, it eliminates puffy shirts and other problems but slim fit shirts are amazing.. Very fashionable too with a tight fit. I get them from Burton and next

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm tall and skinnyish. It may not be of use to you but to me, it eliminates puffy shirts and other problems but slim fit shirts are amazing.. Very fashionable too with a tight fit. I get them from Burton and next

Hmm, I don't think super fitted shirts are good in an office environment, if that's what we're talking about here. Just "well fitted" always works best.

For casual wear, each to his own; I rather my shirts just fit well rather than be super tight. Don't have to suck in as much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hmm, I don't think super fitted shirts are good in an office environment, if that's what we're talking about here. Just "well fitted" always works best.

For casual wear, each to his own; I rather my shirts just fit well rather than be super tight. Don't have to suck in as much! :)

They're not super fitted. They just aint baggy. You should try one on in various sizes someday and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

My husband has broad shoulders and finds the M&S sartorial slim fit great, nicely fitted, a little bit of room without the bet on look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Next are no use to me, well in saying that i have a couple of their shirts but i have had to get each one tailored. The large fit great around the chest but pinch at the shoulders and arms and the XL is too baggy around the chest.

Nightmare

I've heard good things about M&S but what are the quality actually like? I have them pegged as another Dunnes Stores for some reason

I've heard good things about M&S but what are the quality actually like? I have them pegged as another Dunnes Stores for some reason

Very good. They are pricey - €50 to €60 for a Sartorial shirt - but they may not be slim enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Very good. They are pricey - €50 to €60 for a Sartorial shirt - but they may not be slim enough for you.

I'll have to go in and have a look next time i'm in town, if they stock multiple collar sizes for each fitting they could be a winner. I'm a big fan of club collared shirts and they are the hardest to find in my size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

The sartorial ones are normally buy one get one half price, last few times in the sales I've got them at the sale price and the offer, so have managed to get 2 shirts for €65. They do wash well, far better quality than dunnes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find that buying "slim fit" in a larger size allows my shoulders and neck to be good while it's not too baggy around the stomach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement