Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny Roots festival

Options
  • 03-04-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Happened upon this festival last year, really enjoyed the weekend. Going again this year, many others here planning the same? What acts are you looking forward to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yea i'm heading down.
    I've left it late so most of the paid gigs are sold out.
    Going sunday. John Blek is doing a free gig, and the rails are after that (richard thompsons daughter). i'll see what happens after that.
    There's a great atmosphere around the streets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Agreed, will definitely see Kami Thompson, also Daddy Long Legs looks like an amazing session!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Happened upon this festival last year, really enjoyed the weekend. Going again this year, many others here planning the same? What acts are you looking forward to?

dont miss sons of bill and lee bains

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Heading up to this again, 5th year doing so. Best music weekend in the country IMO, consistently great up & coming acts & other more established, fab vibe about the place & full of music heads as opposed to event junkies!

Heading Calexico & Lee Bains III who I expect to be loud, fuzzy & a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭villa2008

Great festival.

Going to see Sons of Bill on the Saturday night. Thinking of going to Lee Bains also on the Saturday night in the Set, anybody know do they wait for one gig to be over before starting another. Its just Sons of Bill is 8pm and Lee Bains is 10pm in different venues.

Any chance anyone has a spare ticket for the Sons of Bill Friday night gig.

• Advertisement

villa2008 wrote: »
    Great festival.

Going to see Sons of Bill on the Saturday night. Thinking of going to Lee Bains also on the Saturday night in the Set, anybody know do they wait for one gig to be over before starting another. Its just Sons of Bill is 8pm and Lee Bains is 10pm in different venues.

Any chance anyone has a spare ticket for the Sons of Bill Friday night gig.

you will be able to catch both gigs on the sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Cale Tyson is the one I look forward to the most.
    Best Small Festival in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MaxwellsHammer

Can't wait for this!

First time going surprisingly after years of failed attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭villa2008

Looking for one ticket for Sons of Bill this Friday, if anybody has a spare ticket.
    Going to the Saturday night Sons of Bill gig also. Great band.

Great little festival. I've seen Drive-By Truckers / Alabama Shakes / Chuck Prophet / Barrence Whitfield over the last 4 years all in the Set which is a great venue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

John Murry and Sons of Bill tonight Fri and Lee Bains and Calexico on Sun for me. Great festival.

• Advertisement

get along to sons of bill tonight if you can. they were excellent last night. john murry also very good. some unexpected covers in his set.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gutted I couldn't get along this year. Great festival and a great vibe about the place, best part aside from the great music is the fact that you don't get the drunk talkers and usual gig twats and the people there are pretty much general music heads full stop.

Next year definitely for me.. Ohh and how ace is John Murry.

Strumms wrote: »
    Gutted I couldn't get along this year. Great festival and a great vibe about the place, best part aside from the great music is the fact that you don't get the drunk talkers and usual gig twats and the people there are pretty much general music heads full stop.

Next year definitely for me.. Ohh and how ace is John Murry.

unfortunately the talkers have now decided to go to the kk roots fest. murry wasnt slow in telling them to shut the f##k up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Worst case of "talkers" in an audience that I ever encountered, was during Steve Earle's set in Longford a few years ago.
    Why pay to be in an audience, and proceed to chat to your mate all the way through?

Anyway, Kilkenny was great this year, even if I missed getting to The Rails and Daddy Long Legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Was at John Murry friday night, brilliant set for 3/4 of it but then the drugs set it and it was a total train wreck. This is my 4th time seeing him and it was really sad for a finish.
    Still loved how he made songs heavier type of rock after an acoustic opening set.
    Heartbreaking leaving though trying to watch him remember the words of mother and frothing at the mouth.

Great venue though and a brilliant night was had afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Was at John Murry friday night, brilliant set for 3/4 of it but then the drugs set it and it was a total train wreck. This is my 4th time seeing him and it was really sad for a finish.
    Still loved how he made songs heavier type of rock after an acoustic opening set.
    Heartbreaking leaving though trying to watch him remember the words of mother and frothing at the mouth.

Great venue though and a brilliant night was had afterwards

Very sad to hear that John is back using drugs, the first time I saw him upstairs in Whelans a few years ago was a total write off with speckles of genius but overall a very sad experience.

I've caught him a few times since and he has been nothing less then genius, including at KK Roots a few years back. I understand he is now living in Kilkenny or has been for a little while now. Really hope he gets his **** together again as he seems like a good guy too as well as a kick ass songwriter.

Was at John Murry friday night, brilliant set for 3/4 of it but then the drugs set it and it was a total train wreck.

Stop taking drugs then, John Murry has. My opinion is that it wasn't drugs that set in, just passion and aggression in performing the songs.

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Stop taking drugs then, John Murry has. My opinion is that it wasn't drugs that set in, just passion and aggression in performing the songs.

well said lewisdhead. dont know where that other poster is coming from. murry has been clean for a while now. prob bewildered why anyone would pay into a gig and then spend the whole time talking. would make me pissed off.

on the plus side it was another great festival. along with murry there were great shows by sons of bill, lee bains , calexico and daddy long legs (who play the grand social this coming fri night)

on the plus side it was another great festival. along with murry there were great shows by sons of bill, lee bains , calexico and daddy long legs (who play the grand social this coming fri night)

Saw all of the above apart from Daddy Long Legs. Great time was had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement