Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone was found, now what?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys, super sorry if this is in the wrong section but couldn't find a section for mobile and insurance. A number of weeks ago I lost my phone and reported it lost to the garda.

Anyway, I had insurance on the phone and they replaced it with a beat up piece of **** refurbished phone that wasn't even the same colour as the original. Have literally had nothing but issues with the phone they sent me out, when I told them about the issues they said to send it back in and if they could find something wrong with it they would replace it. I couldn't send it back in at the time as my phone is my lifeline to business.

I know someone else who had done this without recourse and said every time they heard of someone doing that they would send the phone back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Anyway to cut a long story short, I have my old phone back, some woman found it in Dublin Airport an evening i was picking up my girlfriend. She had taken it away with her and got back yesterday and delivered it to my door, I was smart enough to have a cover on the phone with a white piece of paper in the back with my name, address and telephone number on it.

My question is, if i re-activate my old phone will the insurance know? I don't fancy sending them back the one they sent me as they were a bunch of complete arseholes on the phone and I have since left them due to their company "policies." I don't want to mention the name of the company as I'm not sure if i'm allowed but would like to know if my old phone is turned on will they know? I want to keep the other as a backup.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Do you know if you or the company themselves Blacklisted the phone to the Network? Usually it comes down to the individual who loses the phone to get the phone blacklisted. If this is the case, the phone is worthless AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

I understand your views on the company but, in simple terms, you lost something and you were compensated for it. Now that you have it back, you're not entitled to the replacement. The insurance company may have blocked the phone via the network but you can be sure if they find out you have the phone they will pursue you to recover the compensation and may even accuse you of attempting to defraud them. My advice to you is to make sure your own phone works and to stick their piece of junk back in the post to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to the mobiles forum

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LHPHB

I had to blacklist the phone with the network, they just asked me did i do it? I know what you mean Crunch, just weighing up my options. They were incredibly difficult to deal with and questioned everything atleast three times when putting in the claim, I was shocked at the phone they sent me, was a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You shouldn't have accepted the beat up replacement in the first place. It may not be too late to complain about this. Seems ridiculous policy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 LHPHB

You shouldn't have accepted the beat up replacement in the first place. It may not be too late to complain about this. Seems ridiculous policy...

Hi Alan,

You would not believe the audacity of the people I was dealing with in this company. They had some of the worst customer service imaginable. The initial problems with the phone was that the sensor that shuts the phone to black while you put it up to your ear was broken, so half way through a phone call it would dial numbers, put people on hold, and even hang up.

When I called them, they said they would have to send someone out to pick up the phone, bring it in to see what was wrong with it and they said they couldn't tell me how long this process would take. As stated, my phone is a vital part of my day to day business and I didn't have a backup so I just had to accept my fate. I had asked them why I should have to suffer becasue they sent me a shoddy phone that had to be fixed? They said sorry there is nothing we can do, I said take this one back and send me a replacement, they said thats not company policy and that was the only option.

They were incredibly rude and didn't want to know, so I cancelled my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If your phone was blacklisted then you won't be able to use it. Have you even tried? Blacklisting just means it won't work not that it sends distress signals to the insurance company.

If your phone is so central to your business then a cheap spare phone and transfer of sims would allow you to deal with the insurance issues with the replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

LHPHB wrote: »
    I had to blacklist the phone with the network, they just asked me did i do it?

Did you report the phone lost to your network? Did you try the sim card in your old phone?

Same thing happened me, phone was lost and 2 weeks later a local farmer handed it to me. I phoned o2 (who my insurance was with) they just said keep the new phone and they unblocked the old one. Couldn't believe it.

Advertisement