Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash Gordon approaching? Open fire! All weapons!

• 03-04-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

For the first post I'll write a little about my running history!

I began last July after quitting a thirty a day smoking habit. It took me a while to grow to love running as my lungs were in such a dire way from years of abuse, but now there's very little else that I'd rather be doing! Since I started running I've also had spells where I train in boxing, and I intend to start lifting weights very soon...

There's a few different runs that I consider to be my running achievements so far:

Off the Laois HM - 1:39:32... I was desperate to run this in under 100 minutes and I did!
    SLOT 5KM - 20:51... the wind over the few weeks prior to this really messed with my training!
    Longest distance - 25KM in 2:10:21... it's amazing to go from struggling through 1KM to running 25KM in six months!

Goals:
    My immediate goal is to run 5KM in 19:59 or less, there's a race at the start of May which I'm preparing to tackle this! Once I complete this goal I'll start focusing on training to run a 10KM in 39:59 or less, if I could get this by the end of the year I'd be ecstatic, but there's no rush with these goals. I'll likely also run a few HM over the next while just for the enjoyment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck Sam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Flash_Ah_Ahhh

3rd of April...

Ran 8KM in 39:11...
    The first 1.5KM took about 6 minutes (this is what I consider race pace) which was my only goal in this session. After this I took the rest of the run easy, I've been eating terribly for WEEKS and this needs to be curbed (I must be weighing about 86KG+)! For the last 4KM I was running against very strong winds, it really slowed me down. I hate running in the wind. There was one very steep tough hill that was tackled... AND CONQUERED WITH SPEED!

4th of April...

Ran 13KM in 1:09:42...
    I took the first KM easy, as a warm up, and then I KM's 2 and 3 in a combined time of 7:46 which absolutely blew me away (race pace, hopefully!). After this I had an easy KM and then I ran 3KM on a trail where I had to be super careful of not getting injured. Then I ran a KM in 3:55, part of which was on flat road, about .3 was down a steep hill and part on a trail (absolutely stupid idea ha!). Then back for another 3KM of slow trail running before finding the road again. There were three noticeably difficult hills that I battled.

Good run, very happy with it. But next time I go out with the intention of running at race pace it'll be best that I don't run a further 10KM after, it really increases the likeliness of getting hurt!

6th of April...

Ran 26KM in 2:24:22...
    This was completely random and stupid.
    I mean the 13KM from two days ago was the longest I had gone in quite sometime. The last real long distance I ran was at the VERY beginning of February (and I hadn't ran long in two months prior to this because of injury!) when I ran a late night half while listening to Taylor Swift (don't ask, don't ever ask...)...

Either way... happy to have ran a new DISTANCE PERSONAL BEST!

I set out REALLY easy and kept it easy for the whole run. Though eventually easy becomes hard, and hard becomes setting high scores playing Tetris at its highest speed. The weather was incredible for this sort of run, and I covered so much areas I'v never ran to before. At one point I got lost and somehow ran back roads for maybe 5KM to cover what should have been a half KM!

At one stage I stopped into a pub for a half pint of water :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck Sam :)

How'd ya know my name? Ha :D
    I checked out your thread and it is excellent!

10th of April...
    Ran 5KM in 24:56...
    This was quite the disastrous run. I went out with the intention of warming up over 2KM and then attempting to run 3KM in 12 minutes (hopeful race pace). Ended up spending 3KM running easy to get to where I want to start running from, after .5KM of fast running I turned a corner and BOOM... wind! The wind would have been in my face for my entire attempt at running fast and I gave up after the first KM, ran a slow one and walked a bit home. Anyways, that one fast KM was done in 3:47...

I'm still in recovery mode after Mondays stupidly long run, so maybe I'll tackle a fast 3KM on Sunday morning!

Ahhh, quick note, done about 100 squats, same amount of push ups and a few planks on Tuesday...

• Advertisement

11th of April...
    10KM in 44:56...
    WHOAZAA! This is a new PR, I am delighted. It was so feckin' tough, I almost gave up about ten times over the last two KM.
    I honestly wouldn't have made it if Starships by Nicki Minaj didn't come on for the last KM, the terribleness of such cheese pushed me through (I swear for the most part I have a great taste in music but this is my running jam!).

Advertisement