Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon

Options
  • 03-04-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a bit of talk about Splatoon on various threads here and there so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in a proper thread for those of us who'll probably end up buying it at launch at the end of May.

Personally I'm keeping my eye on it big time. Just hopin it won't end up being a disappointment.

It has loads of potential and seems like an interesting take on a very stale FPS genre.

Anyway thoughts etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There seems to be a bit of talk about Splatoon on various threads here and there so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in a proper thread for those of us who'll probably end up buying it at launch at the end of May.

Personally I'm keeping my eye on it big time. Just hopin it won't end up being a disappointment.

It has loads of potential and seems like an interesting take on a very stale FPS genre.

Anyway thoughts etc....

I read somewhere online that Nintendo confirmed that it will not have voice chat. This wouldn't have been a big issue for me six months ago. But after putting so much time into Destiny because of the social aspect I can't see myself going back to play a shooter with so no chat among friends.

It really seems like such a backwards decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I read somewhere online that Nintendo confirmed that it will not have voice chat. This wouldn't have been a big issue for me six months ago. But after putting so much time into Destiny because of the social aspect I can't see myself going back to play a shooter with so no chat among friends.

It really seems like such a backwards decision.

As the worst offender in the boards Destiny world I can't really give out about the lack of voice chat but I definately can see how it's not ideal for most.

Hopefully Ninty will make it work without the chat as in make it simple enough and clear enough on the common goal that people will just do what they're meant to if you know what I mean.

If Splatoon catches my attention and addicts me even half as much as Destiny its on a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

It's available cheap(ish) here with delivery to PM

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/videogames0t91cpr51s/nintendowiiu-splatoon

I'm waiting for a few reviews to emerge before ordering, it looks like fun but it's difficult to know if it'll have much of a lifespan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Voice chat doesn't bother me at all, I never really use it anyway. This looks great, very excited for it! I enjoy online shooters but have become very bored by Battlefield/call of duty, but this looks new and fun!

Projared has a few newish videos on YouTube at the minute if anyone's interested.

He seems pretty happy with them. Better than he expected with the hands on preview which is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Have it pre ordered look forward to boards multiplayer battles!

iamtony wrote: »
    Have it pre ordered look forward to boards multiplayer battles!

There's was few good Mario Kart 8 battles so hopefully people get involved here too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't fecking wait for this one.
    And I have a feeling, just a feeling, that we could see Splatoon themed characters and tracks/arenas in Mario Kart 8!
    I must start praying to the gods and do a few sacrifices.... XBoxOne owners, natch

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

This and Zombi U make me want to pick up a Wii. Might still wait for whenever the new Zelda is delayed till though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didn't realise the game thread moved here, anyway.

Splatoon will require just 1.8gb of space on the Wii U hard drive if downloading the game. Pretty impressive compared to a lot of games.

NBA 2K13 apparently required 20gb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bkrangle wrote: »
    It's available cheap(ish) here with delivery to PM

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/videogames0t91cpr51s/nintendowiiu-splatoon

I'm waiting for a few reviews to emerge before ordering, it looks like fun but it's difficult to know if it'll have much of a lifespan

Have it ordered from there.
    Can't wait tbh
    I'm not into gun w@nk multiplayer games, but this looks fantastic, I'm hoping the single player is substantial!
    After that I guess I can bring myself to dominate the rest of the world...
    Good to have a plan I guess....

Seems the test today of the multiplayer servers is going well.
    Reports from the Nintendo forum is that it's a lot of fun to play.
    Three sessions today of online only play scheduled, and we've just had the second, a third to come later on, to be tried with the downloadable demo for tge occasion.
    Unfortunately I'm on duty today and so can't try it out!

20 to its release and I've mine ordered in, can't wait.
    I feel this could be the genesis of a new series of games across Nintendo platforms, no harm expanding the repertoire of the studio.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seems the test today of the multiplayer servers is going well.
    Reports from the Nintendo forum is that it's a lot of fun to play.
    Three sessions today of online only play scheduled, and we've just had the second, a third to come later on, to be tried with the downloadable demo for tge occasion.
    Unfortunately I'm on duty today and so can't try it out!

20 to its release and I've mine ordered in, can't wait.
    I feel this could be the genesis of a new series of games across Nintendo platforms, no harm expanding the repertoire of the studio.

Saw that was happening today alright but won't get near it unfortunately.

glad to hear it's going well.

I for one welcome our new Nintendo overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep, I'm now a believer. I'm not an online player usually but that was just fun today. Matches can turn around so quickly at times.

Before the Direct, I was thinking I may pick it up sometime in the future. Direct convinced me that I wanted it sooner, then today has me looking at prices for release date, which just happens to be the day after pay day

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nintendo truly have a killer app with Splatoon. This game will shift consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This was only revealed at last year's E3 wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think so

Have my copy booked in Smyths, now the hunt for the Inkling Amiibos begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

I still have it running on my Wii u.

was just jumping around some puddles in the tutorial for a few hours after the last test fire hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

This doesn't have voice chat.

Nintendo said they're terrified you might hear something you'd disagree with on the internet.

*shock, horror*.

Nannyism at it's finest.

IGN said it won't last a couple of weeks.

"Lazy and cheap" I believe was the term they used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Nintendo said they're terrified you might hear something you'd disagree with on the internet.

*shock, horror*.

Nannyism at it's finest.

From playing the demo yesterday, the lack of a voice function didnt hinder my experience at all, really you dont need voice chat for a game like splatoon because its not a 100% shoot em up. Its cover the area in as much paint as you can and if you happen to meet someone from the other team kill them. You dont need voice to co ordinate that. If you notice the gamepad features i.e the map, you can view the arena and how much area is painted and where you need to paint, it also give the coardinates of your team mate so your are not gonna be painting the same area by accident. The Map also has another feature wherby if you click a team mates location after respawning you can quickly catapult to them if they need help deep in enemy lines very handy. There was also two other buttons for communicating help and come to me but i didnt use them yet. The lack of voice didnt effect my enjoyment of splatoon at all and having those features were a nice addition. I'm glad there is no voicechat in it. Ill be buying splatoon on release day because i enjoyed it so much yesterday.

From playing the demo yesterday, the lack of a voice function didnt hinder my experience at all, really you dont need voice chat for a game like splatoon because its not a 100% shoot em up. Its cover the area in as much paint as you can and if you happen to meet someone from the other team kill them. You dont need voice to co ordinate that. If you notice the gamepad features i.e the map, you can view the arena and how much area is painted and where you need to paint, it also give the coardinates of your team mate so your are not gonna be painting the same area by accident. The Map also has another feature wherby if you click a team mates location after respawning you can quickly catapult to them if they need help deep in enemy lines very handy. There was also two other buttons for communicating help and come to me but i didnt use them yet. The lack of voice didnt effect my enjoyment of splatoon at all and having those features were a nice addition. I'm glad there is no voicechat in it. Ill be buying splatoon on release day because i enjoyed it so much yesterday.

So you don't believe in giving people, at the very least and regardless of whether or not they use it, the option of voice chat in 2015?

Mr. Amano said as much a few weeks back when pressed on it. His words were that when he played online someone said he wasn't very good. This apparently upset Mr. Amano who then went on to remove it from Splatoon altogether for fear that it might upset his primary demographic which tend to be young.

So you don't believe in giving people, at the very least and regardless of whether or not they use it, the option of voice chat in 2015?

Mr. Amano said as much a few weeks back when pressed on it. His words were that when he played online someone said he wasn't very good. This apparently upset Mr. Amano who then went on to remove it from Splatoon altogether for fear that it might upset his primary demographic which tend to be young.

Never said i was againsted it, just glad it doesnt have it, Splatoon isnt a game that needs voice chat, If it was the early 00's to 10 the lack of a voice chat option in a game might have been players only chance to commucicate over a game, but as you say its 2015, it is commonplace to have devices that are connected to the internet all the time, nearly everyone has access to internet and skype. i cant see why those people who complain about the lack of a voice chat funtion cant communicate via skype instead, its 2015, game chat funtions arent the only way to communicate with other gamers anymore. skype and teamspeak and other communication tools are abundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

*shock, horror*.

Nannyism at it's finest.

You still at this?

Never said i was againsted it, just glad it doesnt have it, Splatoon isnt a game that needs voice chat, If it was the early 00's to 10 the lack of a voice chat option in a game might have been players only chance to commucicate over a game, but as you say its 2015, it is commonplace to have devices that are connected to the internet all the time, nearly everyone has access to internet and skype. i cant see why those people who complain about the lack of a voice chat funtion cant communicate via skype instead, its 2015, game chat funtions arent the only way to communicate with other gamers anymore. skype and teamspeak and other communication tools are abundant.

You cannot be serious. That's like saying, "ah sure Nintendo don't need voicechat - sure it's 2015, you can talk on your phone".

Besides, the problem is Nintendo's policy of nannyism that people are opposed to. Mr. Amano didn't want kids to be upset when someone told them they weren't very good so took voicechat out altogether as a function despite the fact that in 2015 parental controls and universal mute features exist in voicechat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

*shock, horror*.

Nannyism at it's finest.

nah, the main producer said it hurts his feelings when people call him names in games, and they've said more recently that it'll never be in the game.

Unlike the other poster who replied to you, the lack of voice chat had a negative impact on my play.

As I was trying the different weapons, we lost several times.
    The lack of co-ordination being the key point here.
    Also, at one point I did so very very badly, I wanted to apologise to my team mates, I wasn't able to.

You cannot be serious. That's like saying, "ah sure Nintendo don't need voicechat - sure it's 2015, you can talk on your phone".

Besides, the problem is Nintendo's policy of nannyism that people are opposed to. Mr. Amano didn't want kids to be upset when someone told them they weren't very good so took voicechat out altogether as a function despite the fact that in 2015 parental controls and universal mute features exist in voicechat.

No, No im saying Splatoon is a game that doesnt need to voice chat, i didnt say nintendo games dont need voice chat, those two sentences are different. Its true they could have added the mute function and parental controls, but they didnt, it doesnt mean they cant communicate via other methods tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isn't it wonderful that there's a company out there who make the practical and artistic decisions they feel are best for their games, rather than worrying about conforming or the reaction of the ever hyperbolic Internet mob, many of whom are destined to never play the game anyway :)

The cheap and lazy comment comes as a criticism of the omission of voice chat only
    http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/10/dear-nintendo-splatoon-needs-a-voice-chat-option
    Something they clarify in the opening of the article.

The game itself has been playtested by IGN and has received a glowing report
    http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/03/23/splatoon-making-messy-mischief-in-nintendos-new-shooter

So, have you actually played the game?

• Advertisement

I'll voice my opinion if I dislike something just as anyone else on this forum is entitled to do so without verbally abusing others.

I, for example, enjoy games which people on this forum and others have run into the ground. I've accepted those drawbacks and shortcomings, even agreed with many of them, however it doesn't negate my enjoyment from playing them and why would it?

It seems to me that there are certain people that are as sensitive as Mr. Amano in relation to certain games or certain corporations and are quite willing to rush to censor or attack opinions that differ from their own. I just can't understand it for the life of me.

Advertisement