Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think anyone is pioneering the idea of constructive criticism of a game or a developer or a publisher for that matter.
    Problem is to see someone try so hard to generate controversy with their posts, repeatedly.

Its great that everyone has an opinion and gets equal opportunity to voice it here.
    But its not so great when people persistently seem to bang the same drum again and again seemingly to try to, I don't know, change everyone's mind?

We get it, you find the lack if voice support in Splatoon a fault.
    But you decide that it then means that Nintendo as a whole are crap and backward, well you won't find too many people to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just watching GT's full Playthrough Fridays and they stopped it for an hour to play Splatoon.

Looks like a load of fun. Would definitely be all over it if I had a WiiU. Love that their is a mini game between matches and I just like the finish screen.

What exactly aren't they launching with the game though. I did find it curious as it sounded pretty substantial and I don't get why they didn't just delay it since this is currently the only big game for WiiU this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

£29 on Amazon.... Nintendo are killing the competition with these launch prices.
    Missed the play yesterday, thought it was 9-10 for some reason, whoops.
    Gonna pick it up based on the feedback here and of course the great price.
    Probably will have the missus play it more than me as she's getting used to shooters and it'll be suitable for us to have her 'off-mic' in this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Music stuck in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another global testfire event on Saturday May 24th.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-global-testfire-returning-on-may-24/

Just one hour this time - 11pm on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Another global testfire event on Saturday May 24th.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-global-testfire-returning-on-may-24/

Just one hour this time - 11pm on Saturday night.

Oh wait
    I'm off then, thought I was working!
    Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well someone at Nintendo f***ed up, I can actually make this one :D

Knew downloading the Testfire even though I missed the other day would pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So this is dropping on Friday if I'm not mistaken.

Everyone ready for splatooning?

I'm kinda torn as the 2nd dlc for Destiny dropped last week and I haven't even got to play that yet.

Definitely picking Splatoon up though as it looks like great craic

So this is dropping on Friday if I'm not mistaken.

Everyone ready for splatooning?

I'm kinda torn as the 2nd dlc for Destiny dropped last week and I haven't even got to play that yet.

Definitely picking Splatoon up though as it looks like great craic

I have it pre-ordered on Amazon, albeit with Super Saver delivery so should be Splatooning sometime in July i'd say :P

Cormac... wrote: »
    I have it pre-ordered on Amazon, albeit with Super Saver delivery so should be Splatooning sometime in July i'd say :P

We'll have to put boardsie group together like we did with Mario Kart 8.

I wonder how many Destiny players will give Splatoon a chance.

• Advertisement

We'll have to put boardsie group together like we did with Mario Kart 8.

I wonder how many Destiny players will give Splatoon a chance.

Sure they'll all be on here moaning about Lag Switches and Spawn Locking if we did :pac:

I'm more getting Splatoon as a means to transition my OH into FPS's :P
    She's quiet aware of this tactic of mine and I make no bones about hiding it.

This looks like just the right amount of fun for casual players, kind of like how PVZ Garden Warfare has been explained to me

Sure they'll all be on here moaning about Lag Switches and Spawn Locking if we did :pac:

I'm more getting Splatoon as a means to transition my OH into FPS's :P
    She's quiet aware of this tactic of mine and I make no bones about hiding it.

This looks like just the right amount of fun for casual players, kind of like how PVZ Garden Warfare has been explained to me

Yeah I got the wife to play Mario Kart and Mario on the Wii U so far so I think you're onto something!

Not sure what she'll make of Splatoon as there's no recognisable characters but the colour might entice her in.

Hopefully Splatoon is lag free. Destiny can be painful at times in fairness because of it. Had to quit a raid about 2 weeks ago cause it was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So reviews due to go up today. Unfortunately I think the main thing against it will be the content coming later, which will result in 8's or 7.5's.

I'm getting it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So reviews due to go up today. Unfortunately I think the main thing against it will be the content coming later, which will result in 8's or 7.5's.

I'm getting it anyway

People should've tried the testfire if they wanted to know to buy it or not.

Maybe they'll do more in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I never got to take part in the testfires, but itching to get my hands on this, looks like ridiculous fun!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This could be the next big Nintendo franchise. And that is huge in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Really positive review up from Kill Screen

Refreshingly, there's no actual score on the review itself but Metacritic have converted it into an 82 (does the Metacritic do that or the reviewers do a score to get on Metacritic?).
    I also noted that Kill Screen reviews are on average 7 points lower than other reviewers on Metacritic. So potentially we could be seeing scores in the 8 or 9 out of 10 region.

Pure speculation of course and based on no evidence whatsoever :)

Edit: Ignore my ignorance and partial blindness, didn't see that score in the midst of Splatoon's technicolour madness.

God that review is wordy :rolleyes:
    We might be able to see it as a pastiche of gameplay conventions (in the same way that everything written after, say, The Epic of Gilgamesh is also a pastiche of past forms), but I think that’s too reductive

:rolleyes:

Absolutely no real focus on the content or gameplay.

Would it have killed his superior brain to let us all know if the combat flowed well or if the map design was well thought out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reviews aren't box ticking exercises, they're personal responses to a game. Kill Screen as a publication understands that better than any other site I've come across (hence it has become my favourite gaming criticism site), and their reviewers are trusted enough to take the angle they feel is appropriate and the result are reviews and features that are more articulate, analytical and insightful than your average site. They treat games like worthwhile culture that justify more intellectually engaged discussion, not just products or systems to be broken down and assigned paragraphs for every general area of the game.

Plenty of more standard form reviews will be along shortly to complement / contrast with the one above. Yes, Kill Screen's reviews are 'wordy', but that's wonderful, and may they never change. Publications of their ilk are in short supply. And hey, we all find the writers or sites that offer the sorts of criticism we appreciate as individuals - diversity of form is only a good thing.

They've pulled that review. Review embargo is up at 3pm, so I expect they got a nice friendly email from Nintendo's legal team. :)

Edit: Changed link. Looks like a temp link. http://killscreendaily.com/articles/indescribable-weirdness-xxx/

• Advertisement

God that review is wordy

Wot Johnny said... also it be good websit, helps me reed gooder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Sim city syndrome?

Funny they act responsibly for a Nintendo game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Basic reviews tell its the best shooter of current gen, but its lacking content... hmmm

They need to introduce some sort of DLC Map Packs.... Maybe even bundle them together.... so you could get a pass to access them.... maybe just get a new pass every season or so... would be fair enough

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/splatoon

I hate the site as much as the next guy, but it's a good overview of review summaries. 21 reviews that are 75+

They need to introduce some sort of DLC Map Packs.... Maybe even bundle them together.... so you could get a pass to access them.... maybe just get a new pass every season or so... would be fair enough

No need. They're releasing content (for free) during the summer. New modes and new maps.

No need. They're releasing content (for free) during the summer. New modes and new maps.

It was a joke :P

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Sim city syndrome?

Funny they act responsibly for a Nintendo game.

I think the difference is that, unlike EA, Nintendo have earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt. Also Sim City was simply broken as an entity on release, all these reviewers seem to be doing is recognising that full servers are required to properly evaluate the game.

• Advertisement

Cormac.. wrote:
    It was a joke :p

Long day dude, sorry. :)

Advertisement