Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

jpg

So...this is a thing. Seems it was a shipmnet bound for the GAME UK distribution center, dunno if it will affect any other stores (was it just dropping off there before delivering to other stores? Was it a shipment of Nintendo stock solely for GAME?)

In other news, expect a ton of Squid Amiibos to crop up on eBay tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

^ Do you want to explain yourself here CiDeRmAn? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

James74 wrote: »
    I think the difference is that, unlike EA, Nintendo have earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt. Also Sim City was simply broken as an entity on release, all these reviewers seem to be doing is recognising that full servers are required to properly evaluate the game.

You can't play the game without 8 players in the lobby.

And that's a negative, since you can't press the home button, or exit a lobby once in.

You have to pull the power from the console or hold down the power button on the console to exit a lobby.
    BTW, source of that is engadget's stream on twitch where two of their staff couldn't connect to one another for over 20 minutes, and they sat in a lobby with 1 slot remaining before pulling the plug as the only way of exiting. They then played some singleplayer.

Stupid. And when the game dies off in 6 months or so, it'll be horrible.

That said, Nintendo have showed that Splatoon's online is pretty solid with the testfires. I think it's silly to hold off judgement for this game, when others have gotten a pass with the review servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You can't play the game without 8 players in the lobby.

And that's a negative, since you can't press the home button, or exit a lobby once in.

You have to pull the power from the console or hold down the power button on the console to exit a lobby.

Fair point, that is completely dumb and I hope it is patched out.
    I still maintain that Nintendo have earned a bit of leeway to get the game reviews based on full public servers. And as stupid as it is, that lobby issue is not on the same level as the EA cluster**** that was the release of Sim City.

James74 wrote: »
    Fair point, that is completely dumb and I hope it is patched out.
    I still maintain that Nintendo have earned a bit of leeway to get the game reviews based on full public servers. And as stupid as it is, that lobby issue is not on the same level as the EA cluster**** that was the release of Sim City.

It's nothing to do with the game.

When you go online, the wii u(does the 3ds?) disables the home button. I imagine this is so you don't press home in mario kart and make a game last longer than it would had you be forced to play.

Makes no sense in a lobby, has been the same way with other games. Monster Hunter 3U for Example.
    It's less annoying in other games because it requires less players, and the countdown actually does something. In splatoon the countdown simply resets and it waits for 8 players.
    Lack of an exit button is probably because Nintendo don't know how to online yet, if voice chat wasn't enough. Please DeNA, fix it.

• Advertisement

Yep, already agreed with you on that issue...
    Where we possibly disagreed was you comparing the reviewers giving Nintendo a pass on review scores until they see how the game fairs on public servers, to the unplayable in any way release of Sim City.

My position is not that the reviews should be glowing no matter what, just that Nintendo have earned that small bit of leeway to get the game reviewed based on how it performs after release. If the game has problems after release then the reviews should quite rightly reflect that.

is it leeway when a review is a big decider for a lot of people?

No, it's a negative thing that they don't give their opinion on it until people have it already.
    That's why they got a review copy of the game. To advertise it if it's good, and judge it from how it plays.

They can't give ea the same leeway. EA would refuse them a copy of their next game, and a million dollars.

I'll take an accurate review a few days late, rather than some early clickbait opinion based on an incomplete picture of what the game actually plays like in the wild. It is the public's prerogative whether or not to buy the game early without getting information from whatever review sites they happen to frequent.

Yes, it is a well known and reviled tactic to embargo reviews to games that a publisher thinks is not up to standard, but (and at the risk of repeating myself for the third time), specifically due to the long history of quality, fun, generally stable and complete (on release) games that Nintendo have earned for themselves over many years, I personally am willing to allow them am amount of leeway while they get the game out and operational. In my opinion EA is the complete polar opposite, with it now being a happy surprise if an EA published game actually functions as expected (or at all) on release.

And again, I am certainly not saying that reviews (either early or late) for Splatoon should automatically be positive "just because"... if there is issues with the game than I want to know, but if it's going to take a few more days to get an accurate review then so be it. If other folks want to buy before I get there, then thanks to them for testing it out for me.

btw, if EA were throwing out a million squids for a review would that not make them even more open to cynicism and criticism from us little folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It's not really a Nintendo thing though. Both sites have withheld reviews for a number of games recently where online is a significant element.

Eurogamer even outright stated this would be their policy going forward when they revised their review system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭superMarco

Pre order from smyths... no email yet.. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cormac... wrote: »
    ^ Do you want to explain yourself here CiDeRmAn? :pac:

Mwa ha ha ha!
    My fiendish plot is unfurled and I shall lay waste to you Nintendo fanboys!
    With the preorder addresses I know where you live and shall plunder your collections and leave only Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg in my wake.....
    Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!

But, seriously, wasn't me.
    Honest....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And on a brighter note....

Time magazine have given Splatoon 5/5
    Better than Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros according to their reviewer.
    http://time.com/3896082/splatoon-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Better than Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros according to their reviewer

Balderdash!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Boulderdash remake confirmed?

So singleplayer or multiplayer first? I may try multi for a bit before going and digging into the single player

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cormac... wrote: »
    Balderdash!

Here's Eurogamer's early impressions; link.

Single player: Compelling.
    Multi-player: Repetitive.

I'm not that interested in it right now but maybe closer to Christmas it'll be a more attractive purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Couldn't be bothered going to a shop to get this so ordered online from Amazon. Saves a few euro too.

Delivery 2nd to 4th June so not too bad.

Was gonna buy of hdwow but didn't want to wait a month or two for it to arrive even though €36 was tempting.

Got text and mail from Smyths to say it was ready for collection. Was downtown anyway so called in only to be told it can't be picked up until tomorrow. As a wise group of lads once said

Asked if they got any of the Amiibo in but nope, just the games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nintendo are clearly dipping their toes here and I would expect alot of free DLC in the coming months.

I'm actually not too pushed by the lack of online modes becuase it's such a unique concept that the GAMEPLAY brings the variety. :D

Will pick this up later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any of you that downloaded the "Global Testfire" to trial Splatoon, you get €5 off the e-shop price!
    I bought and downloaded it this morning before heading off to work, that €35 pricetag certainly beating the bricks-and-mortar prices!

Just got it and up to level 4. Think highest I've seen so far is 15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just picked it up for 40.99 in Argos. Seems to be 49.99 elsewhere. Reminds me of the great new games price war of 2007 or so that may or may not have contributed to HMV going out of business. Ah, good times.

What's that green box on the right hand side of the lobby screen? Mine currently says "Toasty +1.0"

I just received an email from Parcel Motel of my lovely copy of Splatoon!
    Should have it in the am.
    Assuming they don't forward it to Inismór in error in the meantime!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What's that green box on the right hand side of the lobby screen? Mine currently says "Toasty +1.0"

Your win-count. Talk to the sleeping cat (Judd) in Inkopolus at the end of the day (can do at any time) to get some gold for your win-streak.

I got I berieve, 1050ish? last night for 2 hours of mainly loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just picked it up for 40.99 in Argos. Seems to be 49.99 elsewhere. Reminds me of the great new games price war of 2007 or so that may or may not have contributed to HMV going out of business. Ah, good times.

Damn it. Didn't think of Argos. Paid pretty much the same on Amazon though approx €40 when converted. Stupid weak Euro.

Ah well be delivered next week.

Going to Argos would have been a pain anyway you know with the driving and getting out my car and walking to the shop and paying money to the person behind the till and waiting for my number....... and getting back in my car and driving home again, etc..

Part of thinks I should have just downloaded it but I do like a hard copy.

Only problem there is now I'll have to get off my seat take out Mario Kart, etc..

Ugh sooooooooooooo lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ugh sooooooooooooo lazy.

v8UdF.gif

Was there meant to be an update when starting? Thought I read that somewhere. I didn't get one anyway.

Had a few issues connecting earlier, probably about the time people in this part of the world were getting home from work and people in America were joining.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was there meant to be an update when starting? Thought I read that somewhere. I didn't get one anyway.

Had a few issues connecting earlier, probably about the time people in this part of the world were getting home from work and people in America were joining.

Pre-loaders (americans who can pre-order from the eshop) get an update to unlock the game.

Everyone else gets an update with new modes and stuff in either August or October, I've heard both now so not sure anymore.

Advertisement