Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

2 levels, 1 game mode and I'm having more fun with this than a number of recent shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    2 levels, 1 game mode and I'm having more fun with this than a number of recent shooters.

Me too. Speeding along in the ink as a squid and jumping out of a wall behind someone, all guns blazing, is a thing of beauty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, a lot of fun had this afternoon with this.
    Myself in single player mode and playing against my son, and I gallantly on the third party WiiU controller!

I did find during my one and only online game that the connection dropped, and I'm using a hard connection to the WiiU rather than wireless.
    So that's a bit disappointing.

But aside from that it is gorgeous and a lot of fun.
    Can't wait to see what else they do with this franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How's everyone getting on with Single Player? I'm just starting the third area.
    Have all scrolls so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm enjoying it a lot. Nintendo definitely got the basic mechanics and look down - there's a satisfyingly viscous feel to the paint as it covers the battlefield. It feels accessible, fair, and cleverly balanced, and the short game length of escalating intensity certainly works very well (love the increased urgency of the music in particular during the final push).

Only played four or five single player levels, and it's definitely more than just a cheap and cheerful add on - plenty of imaginative mechanics and design to liven things up.

What I'm not convinced by yet is how long the spell will last. Truth be told turf war is already feeling like it has revealed a significant chunk of its depth and surprises (I'm on level 5-6). It's a game best played in relatively short bursts, as I think the limitations will become more apparent the more you play (especially in quick succession). Would rather the maps were on constant rotation as well TBH, instead of two at a time, and it's a shame a lot of content is locked behind the leveling system. Would be surprised if it had the same sticking power as something like Titanfall for me, but there's plenty to love nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on with Single Player? I'm just starting the third area.

just started the fourth area now, dont have all the scrolls tho. Was going from area to area by foot, then i realised you can super jump to them instead if you completed a stage on that level. Doh! :P

just started the fourth area now, dont have all the scrolls tho. Was going from area to area by foot, then i realised you can super jump to them instead if you completed a stage on that level. Doh! :P

I find for the scrolls what I do is
    Since can see pretty much the entire level from wherever I am, I look around from one place at all other platforms for a box that looks like it's not on the path to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The no off TV things really sucks I'm stuck here with the fambo watching Tom & Jerry movie.

I don't see why they can't do it I hope they patch it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game really needs to let two local players fight as a team online, perhaps with another local team up.
    But its brilliant fun so far.
    Mario will be along with FLUDD any minute to clean it all up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

I love the menu, everything is always there on the touch screen.

Great use of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Man these limited ink challenges are a pain, i cleared the level and was trying to free the zap fish and ran out of ink freeing him.

Single player finished with all scrolls
    Interesting story from them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll keep my thoughts short and sweet.

Splatoon as a franchise will do for shooters what Mario Kart did for racers.

It's a reason to buy a Wii U.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So much good stuff!
    Can't wait!

Dying to see what the NES Zappers will be like; could be the equivalent to a magnum I'm guessing.

I have a couple of Nes Zappers, so I can play Duck Hunt, Gumshoe and Wild Gunman.
    I must do some practice for the guns arrival in game!

There has to be a SSB/MK8 cross over with Splatoon, has to be.
    Probably a 3DS game in the works as well.

Just listening to the
    Squid Sisters
    song from the last level

Think the disruptors are the least useful of the subweapons so far, unless I'm just using them badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jennifer lee

Been having lots of fun playing this. First time I've ever played a shooter where I'm not always the worst person playing. When I first started playing I preferred the roller but I'm really enjoying the Splattershot Jr and the shield is really helpful for those tricky situations surrounded by enemies. I really like how using the shield beside an ally gives them the shield too, Time it right and it really gives your team the edge to push forward and cover a lot of the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

smokingman wrote:
    Dying to see what the NES Zappers will be like; could be the equivalent to a magnum I'm guessing.
    I can see it now...
    "I know what you're thinking. Did he squirt 6 litres or only 5? Well, in all the excitement I kinda forgot myself. But being that this is the N-Zap89, the most powerful ink delivery system based on a popular gaming interface in the world an'll probably pigment your head clean off, you gotta ask yourself one.... Whaddyamean the round is over?"

+1 for local co-op of some kind. My kids love the game but are terrified of the Octarians - They need to be able to run around painting stuff while Daddy pulverises the pulpos, until they get their inklust up and start fighting back.

I've only played Splattershot so far, I did far better with the default starter gun than I did when I switched to "better" options. If the Disruptor is the one that stops you turning into a squid, it can be devastating but I can't use it right. You need to hit someone who's low on ink and then you're effectively removing them from the game for a while. It's more fun to paint the world around them and leave them in it unable to move or fight back (apparently, as was done to me) than to kill them and let them respawn with a full tank. Well, kill them when it wears off. I guess you could look on their back to see how full their tank looks, or just follow someone who's not regularly switching between forms? Easier said than done I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

New Micro Direct hit America today, big news for Splatoon is Ranked Battles, the Zapper weapon and a new map are arriving this evening (probably in the morning as it says 7pm Pacific Time).

Splatoon news starts at 7:47 in this vid

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Port Mackerel looks great... the first map where the high ground is really going to become important.

Ffs!
    Playing Splatoon for the last hour and had about 5 full matches and 5 that have ended with communication errors!
    And there is nothing wrong with my connection!
    Come on Nintendo!
    I love you and all but this is really testing our relationship!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Can two people play online together locally in this (splitscreen like MK8)?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Mr E wrote: »
    Nope, afraid not.

Cheers, might still get it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's a real shame that a game that's so much of a whoop-out-loud joy to play has to be played in silence. I understand why they chopped voice chat but still... Local co-op for Turf Wars and/or the single player campaign would make this pure magic. It's not like you need the map to be always-on, 2 screens is a luxury, not a necessity - a simple button press to overlay it would do.

I'd also like to see some sort of "Mentor" mode that let you play online in some sort of non-competitive co-operative splatfest with other likeminded pairs to assist gamer parents in indoctrinating their own little squidlings into the faith. Ninty have never done much first-party-wise to shake off the Kiddy label that they earned with bloodles Mortal Kombat, maybe it's time they embraced it and said "hell yes, it's for kids. And it's for parents of kids. And it's for parents who want to play with their kids. And then when the kids go to bed, it's for Adults who want to rip eachothers arms off and scream obscenties at teenage americans while knifing them and hurling their corpse off a sniper perch". Maybe I'm asking too much...

Mr E wrote: »
    Port Mackerel looks great... the first map where the high ground is really going to become important.

It is alright. There's bulldozers that you can ink the sides and get up on and they're the perfect spot for picking enemies off from. Pretty hectic level too, absolutely non stop action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So how are folks faring in Ranked Battles? Ive only been into 2 and managed 2 Knockouts (enemy got no points). Splats zones is a bit more vicious as you fight for the point, though I think breaking it up to multiple points or the zone switches might level the field a bit more.

Advertisement