Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to figure out how they work with regard splat zones and timers. I'm up to Level C now. Good way to get XP up as well, assuming you win. Haven't seen anyone higher than C yet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Those Ranked battles look awesome, think I'll buy this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've only clawed my way to level 7 so far - are ranked battles more shootery than decoratory? Is the best way to control a zone to keep the other team respawning and ensure they don't have a nearby comrade to superjump onto?

Pretty much, yeah. Eliminate them then make sure they can't get back to the zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm up to lv9 now and starting to get decent stuff from the water protester in the alley :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There is a seriously tactical game under the hood of ranked.

Up to L14 with 3-star gear which I have just started levelling up.

Loving every minute of it. Eve if I have 15 mis to spare, you can turn the Wii U on, play 3 ranked games, have a great laugh, level up stuff, buy stuff and turn the machine off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fewer connection problems now but I am still getting times when the paint isn't showing on surfaces.
    Feck my connection!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Loving every minute of it. Eve if I have 15 mis to spare, you can turn the Wii U on, play 3 ranked games, have a great laugh, level up stuff, buy stuff and turn the machine off.

That's a lie! You can't just play 3 games. :pac:

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That's a lie! You can't just play 3 games. :pac:

Fixing my post...
    There is a seriously tactical game under the hood of ranked.

Up to L14 with 3-star gear which I have just started levelling up.

Loving every minute of it. Even if I have 15 mis to spare, you can turn the Wii U on, play 3 ranked games, have a great laugh, level up stuff, buy stuff and turn the machine off, then turn the machine back on for one more game, then cancel what you have going on for the next 6 hours and squeeeeeeee like a child on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Got this today. Played one quick game there. Lots of fun.

Very very glad motion control could be turned off.

For a split second I was like ah now come on Nintendo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Got this today. Played one quick game there. Lots of fun.

Very very glad motion control could be turned off.

For a split second I was like ah now come on Nintendo!!

I can only say try to persevere with it; it make aiming far more acurate than with the stick alone. Make sure to be free with the y button to reset the camera if you find yourself holding the controller left or right and just use it for the vertical axis in conjunction with horizontal movement via the stick. Trust me, it's well worth it

smokingman wrote: »
    I can only say try to persevere with it; it make aiming far more acurate than with the stick alone. Make sure to be free with the y button to reset the camera if you find yourself holding the controller left or right and just use it for the vertical axis in conjunction with horizontal movement via the stick. Trust me, it's well worth it

I don't know, I might give it a go but I tend to prefer old style controls tbh. Maybe I'm just stuck in my old ways.

One thing I am genuinely annoyed at is no off screen play.

I know folk will argue that you get your map etc which can add to gameplay but for me I love off screen option and have played most of my Wii U gaming that way so far reclined on my sofa.

If it could be done with Mario Kart 8, why not this?

I don't know, I might give it a go but I tend to prefer old style controls tbh. Maybe I'm just stuck in my old ways.

One thing I am genuinely annoyed at is no off screen play.

I know folk will argue that you get your map etc which can add to gameplay but for me I love off screen option and have played most of my Wii U gaming that way so far reclined on my sofa.

If it could be done with Mario Kart 8, why not this?

I think it's the best use of the second screen in a long time. Provides information and gameplay options as you say, but its the fact you can react so quickly to the data in this game. Seven seconds left, ward to an area that is in contention because a team mate needs help. Kill opponent and get enough ink down to win by 0.4% :D.

As for motion controls, I think the sticks on the Wii U are a little weird for shooter aiming. Also I like to be able to keep my thump on both the jump and dive buttons at the same time. Motion control opens that up.

I think it's the best use of the second screen in a long time. Provides information and gameplay options as you say, but its the fact you can react so quickly to the data in this game. Seven seconds left, ward to an area that is in contention because a team mate needs help. Kill opponent and get enough ink down to win by 0.4% :D.

As for motion controls, I think the sticks on the Wii U are a little weird for shooter aiming. Also I like to be able to keep my thump on both the jump and dive buttons at the same time. Motion control opens that up.

I'm not convinced they couldn't have a small map option on the screen.
    I'm sure it is better to play on the telly but I just wonder was it just laziness from the developer not to include this as an option.
    As far as I'm aware it takes a bit of extra time to put the function in so some game developers just don't bother.
    Lego City undercover for example didn't have off screen play but had a map instead which was grand but again an off screen play option would have been most welcome.

And as for the motion control I'll give it a go but as I say a little old school in my gaming so prefer sticks.

Although I can see where you're coming from being able to have acces to other buttons more easily.

I think it was a conscious decision to focus on the dual screen config that XBox can't do and Sony can't do out of the box.

Single Player could easily be done Off-TV.
    Multiplayer could be done if you could pull up a map with the press of a button - there are at least 3 free, and having + or - give you a map in Off TV mode with options being a secondary menu would do the job either.

I don't know about you but I don't really use the map when I'm alive except in the last minute or so, and that's sporadic. It's mostly for super jumps and occasionally if my squid sense is tingling I'll look to see if there's a fat line of enemy ink appearing right behind me to show I'm being chased by a roller.

Maybe in August, once they've made their point about how great the game is and raked in any hardware sales they're going to get off it's back.

Lego City - I think TT said they left it out for budgetary reasons - it's not as simple as pressing a button marked Off TV before compiling, it requires a certain amount of work to optimise the experience and test it. If it had sold in sufficient quantities at launch they might have patched it in. Certainly it could have done with it without interfering with the game experience, and the later Lego games bear that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Cancelled my pre-order on this the day before launch cause I wouldn't get much time to play it over the summer.
    Glad it's going so well for most. Will hope to pick it up around the time they have launched some DLC and maybe sorted some connectivity patches.

Banjo wrote: »
    I think it was a conscious decision to focus on the dual screen config that XBox can't do and Sony can't do out of the box.

Single Player could easily be done Off-TV.
    Multiplayer could be done if you could pull up a map with the press of a button - there are at least 3 free, and having + or - give you a map in Off TV mode with options being a secondary menu would do the job either.

I don't know about you but I don't really use the map when I'm alive except in the last minute or so, and that's sporadic. It's mostly for super jumps and occasionally if my squid sense is tingling I'll look to see if there's a fat line of enemy ink appearing right behind me to show I'm being chased by a roller.

Maybe in August, once they've made their point about how great the game is and raked in any hardware sales they're going to get off it's back.

Lego City - I think TT said they left it out for budgetary reasons - it's not as simple as pressing a button marked Off TV before compiling, it requires a certain amount of work to optimise the experience and test it. If it had sold in sufficient quantities at launch they might have patched it in. Certainly it could have done with it without interfering with the game experience, and the later Lego games bear that out.

Unique selling point? I don't know about that. I've seen the adverts and it's not really being flaunted as a usp imo.

As for it being integral to see the map on the pad I don't know yet as I've only played it a small amount funnily enough due to having to stop playing as the missus wanted to watch telly meaning I played the ps4 on the Vita.

Checked my log last night and with the Testfire, I've about 22 hours altogether played. I'm sure not as much as others, but it's a lot for me to play, especially on a multiplayer game

Unique selling point? I don't know about that. I've seen the adverts and it's not really being flaunted as a usp imo.

I'm not saying it's being pushed as a USP in marketing, but there was a lot of talk about emphasising how the Gamepad enhances the gaming experience coming out of Ninty over the last year. I think they may have been pushed at a design phase to make it as indispensable a feature as possible as part of trying to shove the "It's not a Wii add-on" thing down our throats. Except that if you try to market the game based on it's 2 screen approach, slapping the WiiU brand around, it makes it look like a Wii add-on :D

No Off TV is killing me, although it's also shown me how much on-TV time I could have had over the last 2 years if I'd just asked, and maybe I should have played more Lego City and Zombi U than I have.

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's being pushed as a USP in marketing, but there was a lot of talk about emphasising how the Gamepad enhances the gaming experience coming out of Ninty over the last year. I think they may have been pushed at a design phase to make it as indispensable a feature as possible as part of trying to shove the "It's not a Wii add-on" thing down our throats. Except that if you try to market the game based on it's 2 screen approach, slapping the WiiU brand around, it makes it look like a Wii add-on :D

No Off TV is killing me, although it's also shown me how much on-TV time I could have had over the last 2 years if I'd just asked, and maybe I should have played more Lego City and Zombi U than I have.

The advertising in general for the system has been piss poor from the start which is a real shame but damage is done now.
    Most people still think it's a Wii.

I agree on Lego City and Zombie U.

I played a good bit of Lego City as it was the game that was budled with my console but id definitely have played more if they had added off screen play.

As for Zombie U it's pretty much the same deal although worse as I haven't even opened the box yet.
    I want to be able to give it a proper 5 hr seasion and get properly immersed in it.

My playing these days is more off and on which is another reason the game pad or mobile playing in general suits me best.

The guys over on the Destiny forum called me the Silent Gaurdian as I play on the Vita mostly which always makes me laugh.

On that Cormac your missing out with Splatoon. It's a lot of fun no off screen play aside.

I'm even tempted to buy a couple of the amiibo yolks.
    Love the squid thing you turn into.

Edit.... Just looked at Argos for the amiibo and its €17.99 !!!

No thanks

• Advertisement

No thanks

Be great if we had the option, but sold out in argos everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

On that Cormac your missing out with Splatoon. It's a lot of fun no off screen play aside

Trust me, I'm DESPERATLY accustomed to missing out on must play games unfortunately :pac:
    I'm even tempted to buy a couple of the amiibo yolks.
    Love the squid thing you turn into.

No thanks
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Be great if we had the option, but sold out in argos everywhere

Well as usual Jim has a few good points to make on the subject

Yeah the lack of availability of these bits of plastic is madness by Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong it's bought them publicity but they could be taking in more money by producing more at this point.

I'd have paid €13 or so euro but €18 is too high never mind what the eBay prices are.

It's a shame cause they're kind of cool. Just not €18 cool

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I played a few games last night and thought it was really fun...but I can't see myself playing it a whole lot without couch co op which could have been great.

Jim did have some good points. But I kind of forgot what they were when he went all easy rider/2001 at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

blag wrote: »
    I played a few games last night and thought it was really fun...but I can't see myself playing it a whole lot without couch co op which could have been great.

Fingers crossed it will be added in at some stage in the future.

I've just read that the only ink counted in turf war is what's visible on the map! Inking walls and stuff is a waste of time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New weapon on the way, Ink Brush!

iamtony wrote: »
    I've just read that the only ink counted in turf war is what's visible on the map! Inking walls and stuff is a waste of time!

And since realising this I've been top of my team twice and second once even though we lost, but it still feels good being the best loser:-)

• Advertisement

I can't remember who supernova is on here I get confused between a few of you but anytime I try to connect to your game I loose my connection and have to start again. It doesn't happen on anyone else.

Advertisement