If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K TVs

Options
  • 03-04-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be moving into a new house in a couple of months and I think we're going to buy a 4K TV. We're thinking in or around 50" depending on the price. I like the look of this guy but I don't know if we can spend quite that much. Is there much difference between that and the 48" model? Looking for any other suggestions you might have. If the price is right, having seen you help numerous people on here before, I think I'd rather do business with you than any of the usual big chains here in Galway. We probably won't be purchasing until closer to moving, do you think there'll be much new stock in the meantime? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

May I ask, what's the actual point for a 4K TV ?
    I personally don't expect to have that 4k signal will reach my home anytime soon. Like, in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    I personally don't expect to have that 4k signal will reach my home anytime soon. Like, in decades.
    I guess you have a point there. Future proofing would be a start I guess and Netflix currently has 4K content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

Is there 4k content on blurays or download files? YouTube has 4k? Where is the content? I'm looking to upgrade in the next year so in interested. 50 inch minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

emo72 wrote: »
    Is there 4k content on blurays or download files? YouTube has 4k? Where is the content? I'm looking to upgrade in the next year so in interested. 50 inch minimum.
    Apparently you can buy 4K BluRays, never realised this myself.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

L'prof wrote: »
    I'm going to be moving into a new house in a couple of months and I think we're going to buy a 4K TV. We're thinking in or around 50" depending on the price. I like the look of this guy but I don't know if we can spend quite that much. Is there much difference between that and the 48" model? Looking for any other suggestions you might have. If the price is right, having seen you help numerous people on here before, I think I'd rather do business with you than any of the usual big chains here in Galway. We probably won't be purchasing until closer to moving, do you think there'll be much new stock in the meantime? Thanks in advance.
    Hi L'prof.

The 50AX802 is a great 4K screen. Panasonic have been producing some fantastic 4K sets this year.
    50AX802 currently priced at £1299.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200485-viera-tx50ax802b.aspx

The difference between the 55AX802 and the 48AX630 would be:
    The 630 is 1200Hz to the 802's 2000Hz.
    The 802 has duel tuners. Both Freeview HD and Freesat HD.
    802 has 4 HDMIs over the 3 on the 630.
    The 802 can stream netflix 4K the 630 can not.
    The 802 has a built in camera for Skype etc and has gesture control. The 630 does not.
    802 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses the 630 with none.

The 630 is currently priced at £799.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200884-viera-tx48ax630b.aspx

The NEW Panasonic range has already started to filter through so the current lines will start to get thin on the ground.
    TX50CX680 priced at £1199.00 (Pre Order)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx50cx680b/pana-tx50cx680b

Let me know what you think.

• Advertisement

Hi Seamus1964.

The point in 4K is like any other advance in technology, it takes 1080p and makes it much better.

Rather than me type up all about 4K, are a few little links explaining a bit about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

At the moment 4k is streamed by Netflix and Amazon prime have also started it. (Very good internet connection required).
    Broadcast of 4k content may be sometime off but the panel that a 4K screen uses is better than a standard 1080p full HD one.
    This in turn produces a more crisper, detailed image.

4K Blu Ray will be ht e next thing with many manufactures hoping to have 4k players on the market by Christmas. 
    The quality in 4K compared to 1080p is massive. We have some 4k demos here at our store and the image/Video quality is breath taking.

I would say it will not be long until 4K gaming also comes on the scene.

Hi Emo72.

At the moment content is limited.

It can be obtained via Netflix and Amazon prime at present.

A lot of the Blu ray players out there will upscale to 4K, while its good its still not as good as native 4K content.

When checking online I see lots of 4K movies out there but I would say these are remaster in 4K and not shot using 4K cameras. So in theory not producing a true 4K picture. Also with no 4K players or discs large enough to hold the information just yet they can not be proper 4K

This little snippet taken from Bluray.com
    [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]"4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 × 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB. "[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps a little.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Any questions please let me know.[/font]
    emo72 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciaran Clark

Just spotted this on the Argos site. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Philips 58PUS6809 58In 4K Ultra HD Freeview HD 3D Smart TV. for 1299 euro's[/font]

Theres gotta be a reason its so cheap. I was hoping to find out on here is it worth it.

I know theres hardly anything out there in 4k but I've been meaning to get a bigger tv(from 40 - 58) for the last 2 Xmas's and then this one comes along in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Ciaran,

do you want Kenny from Richersounds to tell you if TV that Argos selling is worth buying ?

(slap in the face)

Ciaran,

do you want Kenny from Richersounds to tell you if TV that Argos selling is worth buying ?

(slap in the face)
    I want him to tell me why I shouldn't buy it, to tell me the reasons why its so cheap. I'm off to Harvey Norman now to have a look at the 58 inchers(I've never seen a 4k tv in action before) and ask a few questions there too.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

...seems like a reasonable deal to me - unfortunately I'm not familiar with the TV though .... ( its £729 on argos UK - the exchange rate seems a bit quirky)..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

...seems like a reasonable deal to me - unfortunately I'm not familiar with the TV though .... ( its £729 on argos UK - the exchange rate seems a bit quirky)..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sorry for posting on a richersounds thread lol. I just searched 4k on boards.ie yesterday and left my message, not paying much attention.
    I've decided against getting it. If it was the run up to a big football tournament or Xmas I'd probably snap this one up but after doing a bit of research about this model, its got a few future proof problems, the big one being its not HDMI 2.0 compatible and I'd be screwed when the Sky4K box comes out. And besides I'd probably go blind with a monster like this in my semi-detach sitting room. Cheers.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sorry for posting on a richersounds thread lol. I just searched 4k on boards.ie yesterday and left my message, not paying much attention.
    I've decided against getting it. If it was the run up to a big football tournament or Xmas I'd probably snap this one up but after doing a bit of research about this model, its got a few future proof problems, the big one being its not HDMI 2.0 compatible and I'd be screwed when the Sky4K box comes out. And besides I'd probably go blind with a monster like this in my semi-detach sitting room. Cheers.
    Hey Ciaran.

No problem.

Have a look over both our websites both .co.uk and .ie and if anything catches your eye drop us a post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.