Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DN1050 refurbished at Sony Outlet UK

Options
  • 03-04-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

£299 at https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Hi-fi/Hi-Fi-component

Sony Outlet store UK seems to be getting more and more stock of these well reviewed as well recommended av receivers. This model was reviewed as the best av receiver of 2015 in it's class. RicherSounds has it listed for £399.

http://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1050/review

When ordering from Sony Outlet store, their shipping is a bit vague - they say they will ship to Republic of Ireland, but their address form is hard set to Great Britain and you can't change that. Two weeks ago I ordered a Sony STR-DN850 with Irish address, paid with paypal and it was delivered in two days with UK Mail / Nightline. Being a refurb, it came in a generic box which looked pretty bad, but everything seems to be find and in working order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

positron wrote: »
    £299 at https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Hi-fi/Hi-Fi-component

Sony Outlet store UK seems to be getting more and more stock of these well reviewed as well recommended av receivers. This model was reviewed as the best av receiver of 2015 in it's class. RicherSounds has it listed for £399.

http://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1050/review

When ordering from Sony Outlet store, their shipping is a bit vague - they say they will ship to Republic of Ireland, but their address form is hard set to Great Britain and you can't change that. Two weeks ago I ordered a Sony STR-DN850 with Irish address, paid with paypal and it was delivered in two days with UK Mail / Nightline. Being a refurb, it came in a generic box which looked pretty bad, but everything seems to be find and in working order.

Cheers positron that is good deal and great amp. You pleased with your one and how was shipping?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have the 1040 amp, beast, very happy with it....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Spent ages having a look at this, reviews etc but its out of stock now. Cheers anyway OP.

Good value on the French amazon site: http://www.curiua.com/dp/B00HRW0HRA @ e469, which is about e60 more than the cost of it refurbished. By all accounts a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

MAJJ wrote:
    Cheers positron that is good deal and great amp. You pleased with your one and how was shipping?

Yes, very happy with the sound I am getting from the 850. The 7 year old Yamaha it replaced was probably not set up correctly, and while it was good for gaming etc, it wasn't very good for low volume movie watching. 850 after the auto-tune was way more enjoyable straight away. Support for wired & wireless network is great too, TuneIn content online eyc. SongPal app is a bit meh, but I haven't fully figured out how to use it yet.

Shipping was free, although like I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure if it would be delivered outside UK. My address read something like ..., Drogheda, EIRE, Great Britain. They ship with UK Mail and their partner in Ireland is Nightline. A lot of horror stories about UK Mail on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Spent ages having a look at this, reviews etc but its out of stock now. Cheers anyway OP.

They seems to keep restocking it every couple days or weeks, and gets sold out within hours. I used a Chrome extension to monitor the 'high-fi' page and get an immediate notification when it changes.

Amazon price looks good, I would have preferred to buy off Amazon than Sony Outlet had I known. My shopping skills are letting me down...

• Advertisement

Amazon price looks good, I would have preferred to buy off Amazon than Sony Outlet had I known. My shopping skills are letting me down...

Ah its prob e70 cheaper as the refurb with Sony when you consider shipping. 1 year warranty, Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

Sorry for not totally understanding what this does but can you plug it into or bluetooth to a TV? I bought a smart Tv but sound quality is poor. A lot of people are recommending soundbars but would one of these be better?

peege wrote: »
    Sorry for not totally understanding what this does but can you plug it into or bluetooth to a TV? I bought a smart Tv but sound quality is poor. A lot of people are recommending soundbars but would one of these be better?

You connect hdmi between your tv and av receiver. Connect speakers to receiver. You can also bluetooth music from devices to it.

I'm gonna use one to connect laptop, blueray player, now tv box, some kind of network hard drive set up, tv box, projector. All hdmi, sound through the speakers.

They seems to keep restocking it every couple days or weeks, and gets sold out within hours. I used a Chrome extension to monitor the 'high-fi' page and get an immediate notification when it changes.

Nice one positron, I took your advise on the chrome extension, worked a treat. Delivery a bit awkward to set up, I used parcel Motel even though their website says they deliver to Ireland? Anyway a few quid extra for over sized packaging is fine, it's still a great price and I see the amazon.fr is gone up. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Might be a good idea to add 'av receiver' to the thread title for those of us who don't know the Sony part numbers by heart :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement