Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Alarm

Options
  • 03-04-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Our cooker has an ducted extractor fan which goes from the kitchen, through another room, to the exterior of the house. That is, the cooker hood does not go directly to the exterior wall. In this other room, there is a 10inch waste pipe (boxed in) which connects the cooker hood to the exterior. I'm nearly certain that their isn't any duct pipe within this waste pipe. The smoke alarm is beside this pipe and always goes off when we have the extractor fan turned on.

I guess I'm wondering if the smoke is alarm is going off because of smoke or heat? Are smoke alarms actually heat alarms? And would you think insulated flexible duct pipe would do the trick fixing it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

any pics?
    does it go off even when no cooking going on?
    10 " waste pipe on a kitchen fan, Id say there is virtually nothing going out to the wall and that this duct is lined with grease

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

any pics?
    does it go off even when no cooking going on?
    10 " waste pipe on a kitchen fan, Id say there is virtually nothing going out to the wall and that this duct is lined with grease

No pics. I think exactly the same thing. You reckon the extensible pipe duct would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

Our cooker has an ducted extractor fan which goes from the kitchen, through another room, to the exterior of the house. That is, the cooker hood does not go directly to the exterior wall. In this other room, there is a 10inch waste pipe (boxed in) which connects the cooker hood to the exterior. I'm nearly certain that their isn't any duct pipe within this waste pipe. The smoke alarm is beside this pipe and always goes off when we have the extractor fan turned on.

I guess I'm wondering if the smoke is alarm is going off because of smoke or heat? Are smoke alarms actually heat alarms? And would you think insulated flexible duct pipe would do the trick fixing it.

Thanks
    Smoke detectors detect actual smoke in the detector. Heat detectors detect actual heat. Heat detectors are usually installed in kitchens because of nuisance activation of smoke detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Bruthal wrote: »
    Smoke detectors detect actual smoke in the detector. Heat detectors detect actual heat. Heat detectors are usually installed in kitchens because of nuisance activation of smoke detectors.

Thanks Bruthal - do you think flexible insulated duct pipe might do the trick?

Advertisement