Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marbella

• 03-04-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I'm heading over to Marbella on Tuesday and hiring a bike for a few spins. I'm just wondering if the A7 road is cyclable? It looks on google maps like a fairly busy dual carriageway with very little space for a bike but also seems to be the only way from Elviria (where I'm staying) to Ojen/Ronda areas. If anyone has any information about this it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

its cyclable but it is a fast dangerous road and is also used by buses who have a little pull in area at the stops. There are little back roads in most of those urbanisations that lead to other areas but youd kill yourself trying to find your way around them and they are hilly aswell. Some one on here was down there last year and said they drove or got a lift to the La Canada shopping centre and cycled off from there.

dont for get your bullet proof vest if your heading to Harmons for a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I had thought of using my garmin to try and navigate around the back roads but I don't know if it will just bring me back onto the A7. Don't fancy taking my chances on it! The bullet proof vest sounds even worse!

the back roads are like little warrens and youd really need to know where your going plus you,ll be knackerd by the time you get to them as roads that link are a good climb away from the A7

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/body-bullet-ridden-gangster-shot-nine-4178462

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

There a cycling club that meets in Estepona. Worth mailing first if you intend going out with them, I have heard they are a friendly bunch.

http://www.unionciclistavirgendelcarmen.es/#9

Locals call don't call the A7 the Highway of Death for nothing. Its difficult enough to drive on never mind cycle. I have however seen some hardy souls cycling on it from time to time, not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Team sky

I am also heading that direction in summeri would like too know of sum cycling clubs in the area as well..I looked at 1 above and it's all in Spanish. I think if you go too la calla and head up too the hills around there only thing is bring plenty of water and food not many stop offs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I've been on the AP7 and A7 (toll free) from Malaga to Gibraltar. I would not recommend either roads for cyclists although I would be telling a lie if I told you I had not seen any locals on the A7.

I would deem it extremely dangerous to be on either of these roads cycling, they are like the M50 without as many Irish drivers. On the AP7, vehicles often reach speeds of 140-150 km per hour and often only slow down at well known checkpoints. Likewise for the A7, a lot of vehicles speed above the limit to about 120km per hour.

The roads behind these are extremely hilly and also quite dangerous, particularly at the bends - often with the roads constricting to room for only single passage.

As for alternatives on where to cycle, I would stick with national roads carretera nacional (N - XXX).

Im away for a few days but i,ll check with a contact down there when i get back if he knows clubs or suitable roads/directions down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

I'm heading over to Marbella on Tuesday and hiring a bike for a few spins. I'm just wondering if the A7 road is cyclable? It looks on google maps like a fairly busy dual carriageway with very little space for a bike but also seems to be the only way from Elviria (where I'm staying) to Ojen/Ronda areas. If anyone has any information about this it would be appreciated.

Im heading over at the end of the month and will be renting a bike.
    Can you report back if you find any good routes worth checking out.
    Cheers,

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Advertisement