Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright with a Logo

Options
  • 03-04-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

My company is using a logo, that I particularly admired due to it being a design on one of Waikiki (Similar to Penny's/Cheaper New Look) t-shirts. I regarded the t-shirt as my favourite due to the design of it, symbolising to me opportunity.

My company currently is using an exact part of the t-shirt as the logo. The design is one of a range of hundreds, or maybe even thousands of t-shirts that Waikiki have. I've attempted to Google for it, but they don't list their t-shirts as they have too many.

I haven't contacted Waikiki, and am unsure as to whether I should. There is no copyright or registered symbol on the t-shirt, however yes it would be correct to say I got the idea of the logo from the t-shirt, and a part of the t-shirt is a near carbon copy to the logo.

Should I carry on and take a chance, contact Waikiki or just use a new logo? I am about to get letterheads printed, and down the line t-shirts and hoodies that feature the logo, so I need a bit of advice as to what to do.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Get a new logo.
    Your current one is stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 conorryanofla

Get a new logo.
    Your current one is stolen.

Contact LC Waikiki it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If they are as big as Penney's or New Look you are definitely better off making a new logo you'll probably be ages waiting for your email to find the right person. If its their designer who has made it then they are going to have copyright on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Copyright on the tshirt? Its the logo that is the concern here and copying it. You are admitting the inspiration for your logo comes from theirs and it is almost a carbon copy of part of it. If you copied the logo then do you really need to ask the question? Come up with a new design.

jimmii wrote: »
    If they are as big as Penney's or New Look you are definitely better off making a new logo you'll probably be ages waiting for your email to find the right person. If its their designer who has made it then they are going to have copyright on it.

Appreciate that. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

They won't sign over copyright. Unless you want to buy it off them, and that will cost tens/hundreds of times more than having a new one designed.

Bite the bullet, get a designer to have a look at it.

They won't sign over copyright. Unless you want to buy it off them, and that will cost tens/hundreds of times more than having a new one designed.

Bite the bullet, get a designer to have a look at it.

I'm having one designed as we speak. I emailed them, would be no harm if I had permission to use their design in the future anyways!

Cheers!

Advertisement