Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wwaterproof or breathable shoes for backpacking?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick question on shoes for backpacking. I bought a pair of Columbia PeakFreak XCRSN shoes during the week. I will be going through warm climates such as central and south america. Are waterprrof shoes the wrong choice for this. I bought them thinking they would do all weather conditions but now I'm wondering if my feet will sweat buckets inside in a waterproof shoe. Would I be better off with a more breathable shoe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I've used similar Columbia shoes whilst hiking and they are excellent.

I'd say two things:

1. I've never used my Columbia runners in the heat. It's always been in Ireland.

2. I've been hiking in South America (Peru, Argentina, Chile, etc.) and used hiking boots. They were the best available at the time, in my opinion, taking into account that trail runners weren't really much of a thing at the time. If I was going hiking in South America again, I'd definitely consider bringing Columbia Peakfreak shoes because they are so much more compact than boots.

I'd bring the Columbia runners. Absolutely. The construction is lighter than leather boots so I would be surprised if the Columbias were not cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really liked the comfort of them and the fact that they aren't too bulky. The heat issue was the only thing worrying me so I'm glad I went for them now. Now just to buy a proper pair of sandals :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It all depends on the climate you'll be in. Peru for instance has at least 3 ( desert at the coast, mountains and jungle)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've hiked, the inca trail in Peru, all over Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil in a a pair of heavy ankle high hiking boots that were on sale in Aldi or Lidl about 4 years ago and didn't have one complaint. (Proving you don't need to spend crazy money on equipment)
    So don't worry about your pair of Columbia they'll be fine you can over think these things and once they're comfortable they'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

hexosan wrote: »
    I've hiked, the inca trail in Peru, all over Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil in a a pair of heavy ankle high hiking boots that were on sale in Aldi or Lidl about 4 years ago and didn't have one complaint. (Proving you don't need to spend crazy money on equipment)
    So don't worry about your pair of Columbia they'll be fine you can over think these things and once they're comfortable they'll do the job.

Thanks for the reply, pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. I feel I'm definitely over thinking some things and as you say, the majority of equipment/gear will do fine :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement