Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going bald

• 03-04-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

I'm 34 and show no signs of going bald, but as I see more and more of my friends lose their hair it's definitely something that I worry about, to the point that I have researched FUE and FUT as well as Rogaine and Propecia medical treatment.

I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your hair, I see celebs like Joe Rogan who apparently has had 3 transplant surgeries and still has had to shave his head and now is left with a massive scar on the back of his head.

I live a very stress free life and I notice that most of they guys who I've seen lose their hair are on the go 24/7 and barely get 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Is it possible that this new hectic lifestyle we all lead now has some effect of premature balding. I think bad diet and bad lifestyle definitely plays a part.

If you have lost your hair, please share your story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Started showing signs of receding / thinning hair years ago in my late twenties. Shaved the head down to no. 1 and still do it to this day. Grand job.

Always got great sleeps and no major stress. Hereditary I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Would like to hear about people who used the likes of propecia or went under the knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It's genetic. Absolutely nothing to do with lifestyle or health or diet. 25% of men are balding by 30. 50% of men are balding by 50, those who aren't by then will keep most likely. You sound like you've nothing to fear. Glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

kjl wrote: »
    If you have lost your hair, please share your story.

I left it around here somewhere... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I left it around here somewhere... :(

Lemme know if you spot any with "Reginald T" written on it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

34 too and not losing a bit. Going grey rapidly though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Grew my hair long a couple of years ago just in case my hair recedes like other relatives.
    Thankfully it looks like I have escaped it though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

My advice would be not to spend your time looking for things to worry about.. especially if you have no reason to yet.. with respect :-)

Baldness runs on your mothers side of the family.. I have heard. So if your mothers brothers still have their hair, your chances are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPf5tD-WI5TkI_CHXGEpXg4kOpZ-e9DCxzfFdTvVkVHcAHNErE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

inb4 someone says bruce willis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Every time I get it cut it just grows back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

My advice would be not to spend your time looking for things to worry about.. especially if you have no reason to yet.. with respect :-)

Baldness runs on your mothers side of the family.. I have heard. So if your mothers brothers still have their hair, your chances are good.

Old wives tale I think. Both side of your family play into it.

OP is 34 (34!!!!), not going bald but worried he might? If that's the sum of your worries, I wish I had your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPf5tD-WI5TkI_CHXGEpXg4kOpZ-e9DCxzfFdTvVkVHcAHNErE

Nothing like a good old come-over:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

34?? OMG, I don't plan on living that long. Losing hair is probably the least of your concerns. Old people love givin' out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm so HARD it hurts.

I'm so worried it will get bigger and harder what should I do.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Old wives tale I think. Both side of your family play into it.

OP is 34 (34!!!!), not going bald but worried he might? If that's the sum of your worries, I wish I had your life

I won't lie, I don't have a lot of things to worry about, but I might be a little vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Never worried about it. It would save money on shampoo and shorten the length of my average shower time too, saving on the water bills? I guess I'd have to believe in the small positives. I'd be right ugly without my hair and I'm not overly attractive now so I'd cling to positives hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

34?? OMG, I don't plan on living that long. Losing hair is probably the least of your concerns. Old people love givin' out.

Less of that now, 34 is a spring chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Well if it's any consolation- from a female perspective, a lot, if not most, of us don't care really. Certainly isn't anything I or any of my friends would ever list as a turn-off. In fact in many cases I think it can look really well on a man. Just make sure to keep whatever hair you have left cut tight.

I'd certainly find bald far more attractive than long hair on a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Girls love bald guys.

And by girls I mean grannies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I'm so HARD it hurts.

Come again?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Glue on your pubes trimmings to the bald patches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I have researched FUE and FUT as well as Rogaine and Propecia medical treatment.

If your girlfriend was buying expensive creams to make her breasts get bigger you'd have a sensitive conversation with her about it and tell her not waste her money on snake oils, but you love her anyway.

If it's gonna go it's gonna go. 34 isn't bad, the bigger deal you make of it now the harder it will be to accept when you're really old.

Accepting change gracefully is a good attribute to develop. You'll need it when stairs become harder to climb and young people become an irritation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If you are going bald accept it. Do not pay for transplants or trying comb overs. Why advertise that you are insecure about your hair? You fool nobody.
    Just have the barber cut your hair shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If your girlfriend was buying expensive creams to make her breasts get bigger you'd have a sensitive conversation with her about it and tell her not waste her money on snake oils, but you love her anyway.

If you wanted to swing an AH arguement in your favour, this is word for word exactly the wrong example to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

biko wrote: »
    Girls love bald guys.

And by girls I mean grannies.

Excuse me you young whippersnapper, I'm partial to a bald guy and I am no granny! Now where are my slippers...

*adjusts bifocals and dentures*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

My 13 month nephew has way more hair than me. I find it funny.

Those hair transplant ads are rediculous. But in fairness the likes of James Nesbitt and Patrick Kieltys jobs look decent but expensive.

Just shave it and be done with it is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Have all your scalp surgically removed right down to the bone or better yet have yourself decapitated, nobody will be any the wiser.

Or just deal with it, you're not the first man to go bald and you won't be the last. Welcome to adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Stop worrying about something that's not happening, you said yourself in the op that you're 34 and showing no signs of balding.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

orestes wrote: »
    If you wanted to swing an AH arguement in your favour, this is word for word exactly the wrong example to use.

The creams are just a conversation starter for the boob job, you've got to get in there fast and nip that in the bud.

There's nothing better than the real thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anyone going bald should man the hell up and just deal with it. Shave your head and be glad that you don't have to worry about maintaining it other than giving it a once over with a clippers every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I'm so HARD it hurts.

Have you been bitten by a Brazilian wondering spider.
    You do know you've only a couple of hours to live.go make use of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

hadepsx wrote: »
    Have you been bitten by a Brazilian wondering spider.
    You do know you've only a couple of hours to live.go make use of it

Whooosh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Started loosing it at 22 or thereabouts, then one hot summer just got the whole lot shaved. Now only have to use a wash cloth on my head. Occasionally wear a flat cap but only when out with the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oh wow really? My mothers 4 brothers all have really thick hair and they're in their forties! My dad and his two brothers all have thinning hair though. Hope you're right then so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Grew my hair long a couple of years ago just in case my hair recedes like other relatives.
    What were you planning on doing? having a fucking combover?
    As cringeworthy looking as women with obvious dye jobs. I never understood the apparent shame people have in the natural aging process. Do these people lie about the age of their children? at what age does the deceit begin?

Ruu wrote: »
    Occasionally wear a flat cap but only when out with the hunt.

Women don't like it when you call them that. :(

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

some pretty tedious replies ITT. to some people it's a bigger deal going bald than others. depends how attached you are to your hair, whether you have big prominent ears or a weird-shaped face, how confident or not you are etc.
    i like having hair and i'd be equally aghast if i thought i was losing it. this doesn't mean i have nothing else to worry about or that i haven't negotiated adulthood. for a male your hair is one of the few aspects that can completely change the way you look for better or worse. maybe when you pass your early 20's you're supposed to stop giving a **** about the way you look. either way if your philosophy is 'saves me the hassle of having to wash it' then yeah, it probably wasn't much of a loss

Stop worrying about something that's not happening, you said yourself in the op that you're 34 and showing no signs of balding.

Ok, I'll tell you why I am worried.

My brother started losing it in his mid 20's (he's 41 now, still has a bit), my dad lose a good bit but again still has a little. Now my mothers brother is in his 60's now and hasn't lose any. My dad's father was pretty bald.

I am hoping I got it from my hairline from my mum's side of the family, but you never know. My brother has been very stressed his entire life alway putting himself under pressure so I don't know if this causes premature balding or not.

I am very confident person but a lot of that is due to the fact that I am quite attractive and I really felt if I lose my hair I won't be. I have a very round head and think I would look terrible if I went bald.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If someone found a cure to baldness or a breakthrough in that stem cell for hair transplant stuff I can't imagine how much money they'd make. Even some women would make use of it lol, would be weird if we ended up with absolutely no more bald people and just had a society full of adults with their 12 year old hairlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Was bald by 21, worst thing ever at the time, almost soul destroying. Like all things you get over it and I genuinely couldn't care less now, don't even think about it. It seems bad and kind of is at the time but once the process is over and you've shaved your head eventually you, and everyone around you, forget about it. I never tried any kind of treatment, though.
    I've actually more luck with women post baldness too. Maybe it suits me better or something. I initially thought I was a freakish looking.

I am very confident person but a lot of that is due to the fact that I am quite attractive and I really felt if I lose my hair I won't be. I have a very round head and think I would look terrible if I went bald.

I think a pint with you would be my idea of hell.

Don't take it as an insult, you may be a very nice man, I am just saying that you are different to me. It's a real "first world problems" topic IMO. I have a few friends who would think themselves attractive, that bit I get. None of them agonise over getting older, losing hair, getting wrinkles etc. I guess they are all secure and comfortable with themselves, they don't need the "mirror mirror" routine for self assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Back in the eighties I started using "Wash and Go" well it should be renamed Wash & Went, completely bald now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Started to notice I was going bald at 32, just a small bit on the top of my head but over the last 2 years it has started to disappear from the front as well.

It got me down a bit at first but now I shave it to number 2 level and although it took me a while to get used to the look I quite like it now.

People can spent a lot of money on hair transplants but that was never an option for me as I couldn't afford it and it just delays the inevitable in the long run.

However telling people to "deal with it" isn't really what they want to hear either, some men can get very depressed over it.

However telling people to "deal with it" isn't really what they want to hear either, some men can get very depressed over it.

It's not real depression though, is it?

It's more something that gets them down, but hey Jersey Shore and Top Gun are on tv later.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

Think the OP is worried over nothing, particularly in modern society, where shaved heads are quite trendy. I actually think some men look cuter without hair.
    Baldness is certainly hereditary, but I have noticed that stress can exacerbate it, although I have no evidence to back up that claim, just from what I've seen. I've actually seen men regain hair by reducing stress, so there must be some connection.

I think a pint with you would be my idea of hell.

Don't take it as an insult, you may be a very nice man, I am just saying that you are different to me. It's a real "first world problems" topic IMO. I have a few friends who would think themselves attractive, that bit I get. None of them agonise over getting older, losing hair, getting wrinkles etc. I guess they are all secure and comfortable with themselves, they don't need the "mirror mirror" routine for self assurance.
    I'm assuming you're a man? And the friends you speak of as well? All my female friends are petrified of getting wrinkles and getting older, and with good reason too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not real depression though, is it?

It's more something that gets them down, but hey Jersey Shore and Top Gun are on tv later.

As I said it affects people differently, it didn't depress me personally but I read somewhere that it can other people.

NI24 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're a man? And the friends you speak of as well? All my female friends are petrified of getting wrinkles and getting older, and with good reason too.

Sorry, I should say I fully appreciate that it is more serious issue for women and I wouldn't trivialise that. I was really talking about men, and men who need to get a grip.

Sorry, I should say I fully appreciate that it is more serious issue for women and I wouldn't trivialise that. I was really talking about men, and men who need to get a grip.

Yeah no problem and I would agree with you with respect to men's looks although I wouldn't be quite so harsh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement