Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going bald

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shur why use any cosmetics/grooming products so if it's so woefully sad of women who have flecks of grey/white hair to dye their roots.

Exactly. There's no harm in a woman wearing a bit of make up or dying her hair or whatever if she feels better because she feels she looks better. My wife was going grey in her 20's, now she rocks a fantastic plum colour and she's happy and more confident in herself when she puts on a bit of make-up.

My mother had severe alopecia and lost all her hair, there was no way she would have gone out bald, so she paid a small fortune for a good wig. It's definitely much easier generally speaking for a man sporting the bald look than it is for a woman.

I've seen some women that can rock the bald look, but they truly are exceptional to the general perception that bald is not a good look for a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

rubadub wrote: »
    did someone claim that? must have missed that post...

75-80 year old women with jet black hair like teenage goths look more freakish than the goths.

I am surprised there is not more overall shunning of all cosmetics by people though.

Genuinely, why does that surprise you? Most people want to look what they feel is their best, and increasing numbers of men are starting to use cosmetic products to maintain their looks and present themselves at their best?

Many men shave their faces in the morning, myself included, male grooming isn't exactly a new concept either. I for one anyway could never see myself sporting the 'au naturel' look. Tried it a couple of times alright, but I just didn't feel I looked my best. I just looked tired and scruffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

did someone claim that? must have missed that post...
    When they went to the chemist and were realised they should pick up a bottle of cop-on, rather than dye.
    Of course women in their 70s/80s are going to look strange with their hair dyed jet-black, but women in their 30s with hints of grey/white here and there just want to make their hair one tone. I think completely white/grey hair looks fantastic on women, but not greys/whites here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kjl wrote: »
    I'm 34 and show no signs of going bald, but as I see more and more of my friends lose their hair it's definitely something that I worry about, to the point that I have researched FUE and FUT as well as Rogaine and Propecia medical treatment.

I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your hair, I see celebs like Joe Rogan who apparently has had 3 transplant surgeries and still has had to shave his head and now is left with a massive scar on the back of his head.

I live a very stress free life and I notice that most of they guys who I've seen lose their hair are on the go 24/7 and barely get 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Is it possible that this new hectic lifestyle we all lead now has some effect of premature balding. I think bad diet and bad lifestyle definitely plays a part.

If you have lost your hair, please share your story.

I dunno. Some men just look so much sexier without hair; they have this look about them that just works. Maybe its confidence within themselves, but it certainly looks the part anyways imo.

I put highlights in my hair recently, but think the nextime it will be a full-on overall colour. Just Because...

No-one knows what tomorrow will bring. You may have no other choice but to shave, cut, lose your hair through chemo God forbid.

If you have hair, enjoy it. If you don't have hair, then find that confidence within yourself to keeping putting on that smile and feel proud in how you do look. You'll live a far happier life for it.

I think it works anyways, carried with confidence i.e.

You op you said you've no signs of going bald. Really though, even when you do - so what?! Hopefully you'll be living a happy & healthy life and something like that won't be top on your priority-list of issues.

It's all about yourself though and how you feel inside. Just maybe you can dig deep within yourself and find the necessary to not have an issue like this affect you in this way.

Just my tuppence in here,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had long-ish hair in my late 30s, but it wasn't growing evenly, so it started looking silly. I've seen guys who look OK with long hair straight back from the "widow's peak", but while I have some hair on top, it's thin and barely growing any more. So it's now short all over, minimum maintenance. No way would I consider implants etc - they are always obvious (c.f. Wayne Rooney).

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I used propecia, for two years and all my hair grew back. I stopped taking it and it thinned again. I just shave it off now, doesn't really bother me either way now I'm 33. Just look after your diet and exercise well. To be honest when my hair started falling out first (at 25) it was harrowing as I thought I'd never get a woman again. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'd stay away from Propecia/Finasteride it has some very nasty side effects some of which can be permanent.

The medical Independent ran a story about its side effects earlier in the year.

medicalindependent.ie/58263/post_finasteride_syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A combover or going around with a ponytail like BP Fallon when bald on top was never a good idea.

Advertisement