Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Tue 45min turbo; 10k easy run 4:46/km

Turbo: started doing SufferFest Hunted but the ipad died after 15 mins so the rest was just a spin trying to keep cadence high. I think the Oz-rings make for a lower cadence, as I was in the highest gear and just could not spin faster than 90-100 rpm. 232W average, with 80rpm av.

Run was 10k in the forest, chatting to some of the lads. One was on his first run since IM Zurich, so a bit of a test, with no stiffness or ill effects. The fact that I kept up with him shows he ran it easy ;) A good fresh night for running going out, but bug-infested face-windscreen splatter coming back.

Wed 30 min run; 2,400m swim

Run:
    10 easy
    5x(1min race pace, 1min easy)
    10 easy
    Data is lost in the Great Garmin Ether, but a decent run. First 10 mins was slow pace (5:30/km), and some nice paces for the 1mins. Picked it up for the last 10mins (still felt like an easy pace), for 6.3k for the 30mins.

Swim:
    300sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 side balance, 25 sw + 10sec
    4x50 fast on 60
    10x100 as sw/p as 25 fast, 75 steady + 15s
    8x25 sprint on 40
    200 choice easy
    This was done quite late, didn't get into the pool until after 20:30. The side balance... I can see their use but I struggle to breath during them. Might bring a centre snorkle next time, I'd say that would add to their worth.
    The fast 50's were decent, all in about 38.
    The 100's I forgot to alternate so all done without pb... in 1:33-1:36.
    The 8 sprints were nice, hitting 16-18 for each 25.

I'm doing the Pink'n'Gold Sprint in Cavan this Sunday, very much not as a goal race, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thurs 45 min turbo

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(3 goal race pace, 2 easy)
    5 easy 10 easy

Did this in my "mobile office" (watching the phone) so was a bit distracted, and missed out the builds. The 5*3 at goal were (242,281,273,277,281W), and again I was trying to keep the cadence high (85-91rpm).

Sat 30 mins ride

10 easy
    5x(1 goal race pace, 1easy)
    5 easy

A wasp flew into my helmet as I was coming downhill close to home. Felt him squirm, felt him buzz, felt him sting. Ouchie.

sun pink and gold sprint, cavan.

Oh god my poor head. We went to a party last night, promised myself I'd only have one or two drinks and leave early... famous last words, it was a very good party with lots of chat and dancing and fun... and a free bar... after many beers, and several cocktails called "dixie normus", my wife told me it was after 1 AM, maybe I should think about going home, didn't I have a tri in the morning?

So up at 6:30 for a very hungover drive to cavan. The race itself was very well organised, especially so for a low key event. Very good turnout all round. Got Regged, used the facilities many times, set up the bike and headed to the start.

The swim was in a flat lake and I was struggling to stay with the leaders from the off. Think I finally sobered up about at the turn point, and looked for feet to bring me home. All the whole telling myself I could drop out at T1. .. (no chance!)

T1 was slow, I tried a few different things (put shoes on and ran to mount line; swam with number belt). Shoes I would not do again.
    , belt I would.

Bike was on a great smooth surface. The myth about cavan and potholes is busted! I had the gamin on the bike ready and I found the data useful. Was passed by 3 ir 4 but got one back. I had a good bike, will be interested in the numbers later.

T2 a little slow (forgot talc in shoes)

Run was solid enough, I pushed it as much as I had on the day. Reckon this was the most effected by my partying, but I'm happy enough with it. Might have pushed harder the last km another day.

Overall I'm glad I came, sprint tris are massive hangover cures ;)

• Advertisement

Mon 70min hilly hike
    Legs and body felt good, so I hit up around a local hill, my old stomping ground. It felt great to be able to run around it again, hill running is magical.

Tue 45 min turbo
    10 easy
    5x(3 goal race pace, 2 easy) (280, 279, 283, 283, 284)
    5 easy

Wed 3,200m swim
    300sw,3x100B+B + 15s
    200sw,2x100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s
    4x50 fast on 60
    300 hypoxic

Thurs Nothing, day off.

Fri 20 min turbo, 12 min run

20 minutes as
    10 easy
    5x(1 race wattage, 1 easy) (255W-288W av)
    Run off the bike:
    4 easy
    4x(30sec race pace, 30 sec easy)
    4 easy

My eye was more on the cadence than anything else, trying to keep it 80+rpm (and the Power will follow). Run felt good- form etc has been getting better this past while. Amazing how you can feel by dropping a bit of lard.

I had some pooltime scheduled, but discovered in the changing room my togs were left at home. Ah well it wasn't going to be a big session, what with the Caroline Kearney race tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

good luck kurt, give it hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ooooo.....good luck tomorrow!!!!!

Sat Caroline Kearney Oly 2:19:49

I loved this Tri the first time I did it, its very well organised and a good course. In fact I'd say its the best Tri in Ireland. Midland Tri Club really go all out, clear directions, marshalls everywhere, and a burger and beer afterwards. Kudos to them. Its a bit of a hike down for me but well worth it. Loads and loads of friendly faces at registration, and I exchanged excuses with several from here. We are walking wounded going by the list of niggles, ailments, lack of training, etc. Totally different vibe once the race is done though!

My plan was to go solid rather than balls out for the swim, hard-ish but not killer bike, and give it what I had for the run.

Swim: 22.09
    I started wide and kept out of trouble to the first bouy. Wasn't really finding feet (in fact was providing feet) but content to be doing so. There was a pack ahead that opened a gap- a goal should be to stay with this lead pack for the first half of the swim at least. Round the first bouy (almost got drowned) and plod on to the second. We were where we were at this stage, no-one was making ground. A few started to drop off, but there were a lot of bodies. Round the second bouy and the bend for home. I found good feet here and stayed on them. Exited the water feeling fresh; it was a hard swim but nothing to knock the stuffing out, so in that respect I was looking forward to see what energy that would give to the bike. As I was exiting the water Joey100 was right behind me, he said hi and I'm sure he was trying to hold back a huge grin;) Great to see, I told him to push on that today would be a great day for him. Have to say my jaw dropped the other day when I read in his log he did fast 60's under 50sec, but its obvious the swim ability has grown, and not just for sprints. He went on to have a great race, well done!

T1: 1:00
    Wore my Garmin for the swim, took it off intending it go on the bike but forgot it and threw down on my wetsuit. Otherwise no issues.

Bike: 1:12:31
    Straight out of Trans I saw BTH stopped. Hard luck man, sh*tty to travel and get stopped by a puncture (?). Anyway, you won the phyrric victory of beating me into T1, and that was the real race :) I was trying to get my feet into my Bont shoes but no go. Nothing for it but to stop and put 'em on. Lost a minute or two; think I will go back to my trusty Look shoes for Tris as the feel just fall into them. I was passed by a good few on the first 15km, which is kind of undulating. In retrospect I should have hammered this section more (no Garmin to give guidance but thats not a valid excuse). I put the foot down a bit for the second half and was motoring a little better. Nonetheless, I need to suffer more on the bike, I lose a lot of places and thats not good enough.

T2: 0:50
    No issues, shoes went on easy, lots of talc in them.

Run: 43:17
    Having had limited run training this year, my goal was to aim for 4:20 pace and keep it under that. From the start, I was moving faster than most around me. I took a couple of lads in the first 2km, and generally reeled in targets for the remainder (a few in turn passed me). 2nd km was 4:09 which was a tad too quick... slowed a bit after that. I was hurting on the run, but its a good hurt that you know you can just about sustain. More to the point I had no calf/achilles issues, and thats more important. Pace slowed a little when we went onto trail, but I was still passing more than passed me. From km7 to finish I tried hard to reel in two lads a good bit ahead. Each km I made ground, but not much, and I was looking for any excuse to let 'em off and jog home. However, another guy ran past me so I latched onto his pace. He beat me in the end, but not before taking me past the other two in a 4:12 final km. Thats the fastest 10k I've run in a good while, tri or otherwise, so I'm happy with it.

Just managed to finish under 2:20, which is a first for an Oly, so I'm happy with the race overall. Good vibe after, chatting to quite a few before heading back home. Best race in Ireland; can't wait for next year, the goal has to be under 2:15 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Kurt, I seen your blue suit in the bunch and reckoned it was you so knew I was moving well. Also knew it was better to sit in than try and go past you!

Really enjoyable race and a great atmosphere. That Ireland suit seemed to work well for you today, I'll be expecting to see it at a lot more races now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As you've since learned, it was a disintegrating pedal and not a puncture. I'd have preferred a puncture. Good work today, and you're right, it's all about the swim :)

Sun Wicklow SC - Healy / O'Kane Races - Wicklow Harbour

This race was local enough and a handy way to stretch the body after the CK Tri. Wicklow Harbour & Environs looked fantastic, loads of families out and about, kids on the BMX and skate parks, the sun even made an appearance so I think we officially had our Irish Summer 2015 for a few hours today. I even bumped into a fit and eager looking Mr. Cawley who was out walking the dog. I'd say that do gets more exercise than any pooch in Ireland :)

I was given a tough 6min handicap for the c1,500m race, which is really no indicator of my ability. That's fine though, I like these races in that you get to observe the speedsters who pass you (and hopefully note a couple of things about their technique), and you get to have targets yourself. I swam off with two others and we kept company around the harbour before they opened a slight gap. After that, it was a long lonely swim to the second bouy, before those behind started catching up. The speed of some of the high-handicaps is astounding. Around the next bouy and a scrum of swimmers crashed into me, I held my own for a while and grabbed feet for as long as I could stand the pace. Round the final bouy (got elbowed in the eye, part and parcel of these races!), and all that was left was an up and down around the Harbour wall. At this stage I had made ground on earlier starters and was picking off quite a few. Round the bend for home and I upped the pace to take as many as I could, came in 94th place. That means nothing, what matters is a good hard swim lesson at a pace I'd not usually do. Garmin (forgot to switch off at end) gives about 1,700m distance with 1:35/100m moving pace.

Tell me about this handicap thing. How is it determined and/or who determines it? Is a winner crowned? And if so, is it based on their time (how is their time computed - with or without handicap?) or based on who reaches shore first?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tell me about this handicap thing. How is it determined and/or who determines it? Is a winner crowned? And if so, is it based on their time (how is their time computed - with or without handicap?) or based on who reaches shore first?

ahahahaahahaha....:D

You turn up for your first race, and give the handicapper (the lad with the computer) some sort of ability guidance (I told him I was 6min 400m in pool). And he plucks a figure out of the air and gives you a tough-ish handicap. Its designed to stop sandbaggers turning up and winning their first race (in fact you can't win your maiden race even if you come in first, and you handicap will get tougher for Race 2).

So if you do badly you will get an easier handicap, if you do well you get a tougher one. Your handicap is minutes added to "Go", so today I went 6 minutes after the "start" of the race. To add to the mix, there are "pre-go's" who set off assigned minutes before "Go"... I once asked why their start time couldn't just be consdered "Go", and everyone's handicap lengthened according... I was shot filthy looks and hissed at to shut up and don't meddle about matters I know nothing of;) Its a bit of an arcane science:D

In practice their are sandbaggers who do the (minimum) 6 pre-qualifier races very slowly, to bring down their handicap, and then hope to triumph in a trophy event like the Liffey Swim. As a triathlete I'm more than happy to take part in these races for the fun and sport, and I leave all sense of Maths and figures with my swim bag. They are great fun, a lovely bunch of people, and age nor size has no barrier to ability. Swimming free without the wetsuit is the best feeling, in choppier conditions than you would ever see in a Tri. They are great benefit to Tri swims too, in that tactics, sighting, drafting etc all can be honed during them, without the stress of a Tri race.

"Winner" is first home by the way, and all the glory that goes with that :)

So....do they rely on you to give them accurate information on your ability to determine your handicap each time you swim? (obviously they would have to for your maiden race) Or do they have a file on each swimmer with their history of past races to better determine the handicap? (how fascinating this is....and that means the faster swimmers don't get the clean water!!!)

So....do they rely on you to give them accurate information on your ability to determine your handicap each time you swim? (obviously they would have to for your maiden race) Or do they have a file on each swimmer with their history of past races to better determine the handicap? (how fascinating this is....and that means the faster swimmers don't get the clean water!!!)

Yup, in practice you could turn up and say you only know breaststroke, be given a gentle handicap, then blitz the race. The handicapper will assign you a handicap for every race you enter, on the day. Its based on his quick perusal of your results to date. I'm sure you could argue it (I've seen it hotly debated) but as I'm a newbie to OW racing I'm happy to take whatever I'm given. My handicap has remained around 6mins despite consistently finishing around position 100 or so.

Faster swimmers have to overtake slower swimmers- I was mauled by a couple of packs today!

There is a website that will rank you based on your time position, and most of the faster guys will discuss this stat afterwards. http://www.howdidyouswim.com/

Interesting concept! But do the winners really "feel" like winners since the handicap thingy is somewhat subjective with the potential for human error?? And what a cool link you posted!!! I'm not sure I'd like being handicapped using such an unscientific method....but I suppose it's some fun if you go into it knowing how imperfect the system can be and not take it too seriously!

Mon 20min easy run; 2,750m swim
    Run:
    My legs felt a bit stiff on the run, a result of pushing in the race on Saturday. I'll take that, as there was no calf/achilles pain at all. Struggled a bit to get under 5min/km pace at the start, but it soon came once I loosened up.

Swim:
    450sw easy (1:42 pace)
    2x200p steady with 15s (3:10, 3:13)
    4x100sw mod with 15s (all 1:34)
    8x50 alt fast/easy (fast 44,43,43,43)
    4x100p mod with 15s (1:36, 1:33, 1:35, 1:35)
    2x200sw steady with 15s (3:19, 3:15)
    300 hypoxic set

Again, the legs were a bit stiff and were sinking a little. I focussed on maintaining streamline form, stretching ahead for a glide and catch, rotating the shoulders well, and (towards the end) kicking from my hip. Think I've started to kick from the knee, something else to work on. Good to be back in the pool again :)

Tue 55min turbo; 70min hill run

Turbo:
    10 easy
    3x(10 weeks wattage + 10 watts, 5 easy)
    10 mins were 264, 266, 255. Played around with saddle, which has felt uncomfortable in racing position. Think its better now, the last 255 was done as each min sitting up/down, and down on the bars gave much higher power. Numb balls on the bike is my problem, I had the saddle tilted too far forward recently, had it too straight for CK, but hopefully its in the goldilocks zone now.

Run: Ballycumber loop (about 12k)
    A few lads from the club were going out, it was a fab evening... my first proper hill run in a long time, and it felt tough! But also fun, and most importantly zero achilles/calf issues. The run over the Wicklow Way is a nice soft grassy trail, before a slog of a climb up to Ballycumber; then a nice dry bog run along the summit, before a grassy downhill. Great views from up there, enjoyed this run.

• Advertisement

You should consider getting a proper bike fit - would be well worth your money, not to mention saving the family jewels. ;) I'm sure there are lots of good bike-fitters out there, including the folks at Base2Race.

You should consider getting a proper bike fit - would be well worth your money, not to mention saving the family jewels. ;) I'm sure there are lots of good bike-fitters out there, including the folks at Base2Race.

Yeah I had a bike fit on the previous bike, and adjusted this bike to the same numbers. But its mm's of adjusting we're talking about, and you're right I'd probably be advised to take this bike back to my guy.

Wed 40min tethered swim

4*2:30sw EZ +15s
    4*1:00pb steady +10s
    4*0:50k hard +10s
    4*2:30b&b +15s
    4*0:50sw as 20s hard, 30 easy +15s
    2 min easy backstroke

First time in the tethered pool for a session in a while, it was a decent way of fitting in training today.

FRI
    Down in Kerry for the weekend, it's a long drive but worth it. Did an easy 1km swim in the brine to stretch out the drive, water was cold but refreshing. I swam out towards an orange bouy, stopped when I nearly crashed into a black bouy I hadn't noticed before, strange it had wispy seaweed sticking from its sides, an what was that shiny jewel in its side. I stared at it for 30 seconds before the realisation dawned I was observing (and being observed by) a seal, not 3 meters away. It was a very surreal moment, and we then started playing dive and come up again and stare. Great game.

SAT
    up early, I wanted to do my annual swim to Knights town harbour and back, about 5.5km in total. I had a tide with me going down, and so averaged 1.34/100m pace not killing myself at all. Coming back was a lot harder, 2.04/100m pace. The wetsuit was starting to chafe as well, but I finished strong enough.

SUN
    10k run to Knights town, up the hill to the middle road to Chapeltown and loop back home. My running is a lot easier since I lost a bit of weight, and the achilles is playing ball these days too. Stereo off at 5min pace, picked it up a little along the flat, dropped back to 5min kms going up the hills before finishing strongly with 4:16, 4:12, 4:10; 4:04. Effort was steady rather than pushing it hard. Happy with the run, and of course the views around Valentia make the time pass easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

That's tasty pace for steady!

I am so jealous you got to swim and play peek-a-boo with a seal!

RJM85 wrote: »
    That's tasty pace for steady!

Ah km 7 and 8 were mostly downhill, and a HRM might not have agreed that kms 9 and 10 were "steady" ;)

Sun PM 2km swim
    The two kids went out in a kayak and canoe respectively, with me swimming out as reverse support. The 13 year old naturally wanted his freedom and took off across the bay, the 11 year old naturally wanted to do anything her brother could do, so took off after him. The bay was flat as a mirror and no traffic so I wasn't too concerned, but I ended up swimming longer in skins than I expected, and the water was pretty cold. I didn't notice it while swimming, but was shivering for 20 mins afterwards.

Tue 8.38k hill run in 1:07

Did another recce of Annagh Hill today, exploring paths old and new. Lots of variety up there, and the views were clear and distant.

Right, the countdown to DCT has begun. I want my best race performance this year, and that means a boring report- no stuck wetsuit zippers, no problems getting bike shoes on, and give it socks on the run. With that in mind I'm going to prepare as much as I can;

Swim: Goggles can be knocked in river scrums, so need to mind that. Sighting isn't too bad for this race, although the centre pontoon can snake a bit. My new ZeroD Vanguard arrived today, it seems to fit well and will be put through its paces in the OW tomorrow.

Bike: I remoulded my Bont bike shoes tonight, the last time I did it the oven setting was too low (I set our oven to 70˚F rather than 70˚C... there are numbers but no units on the damn thing!). They seem better now and I practiced on/off a few times on the turbo, and all seems well. The bike itself just needs some minor saddle adjusting, which I will test on the road tomorrow.

Run: My NB minimus shoes are easy to put on, great to run in, but they have followed this crazy new trend of having holes designed in the soles. Great for pebbles or twigs to get stuck in, and the DCTri is an offroad trail course. Reckon I'll chance them.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

I wouldn't worry too much about the holes in the bottoms of the shoes kurt, course might be cross country-ish but it's compacted earth. My race shoes, saucony A5, have holes in the bottom too, never been a problem in Dublin, Beast of the east is another story!

Be interesting to hear how you get on in the new suit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement