Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Bikes can always be fixed!

I'd be interested to see how you get on re bringing Sprint power up closer to FTP - while not my focus I've not been happy with my Sprint race power at any race I've done. In theory I should definitely be able to hit higher numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

RJM85 wrote: »
    Bikes can always be fixed!

I'd be interested to see how you get on re bringing Sprint power up closer to FTP - while not my focus I've not been happy with my Sprint race power at any race I've done. In theory I should definitely be able to hit higher numbers.

Current FTP (95% multiplier) is 290W. Last Sprint wattage was 250W av. Although dropping back from drafters and a narrow course may have affected it somewhat, and the FTP multiplier may be too high, its still too big a variance.

Remedies to fix- get another bike fit. Can't comment on success until it happens but I think my bars need to be raised. Besides that, work on a smoother pedalling action. As described yesterday, "kick down a door then wipe dogsh1t off your shoe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

The season goal was the ETU Sprint Champs. I trained solidly over the winter, working to a structured coached plan made a huge difference. Weight was about 93kg in October and got it down to around 86kg for the A race so that was progress. However a nasty Achilles injury in February stopped me running for 3 or 4 months. A toe injury in Carlow Sprint was annoying but could have been worse. My first proper race was Lough Cutra- good swim, decent bike, and jog around cautiously at 5min/km pace was still good enough for 3rd in AG so a solid start. The ETU Champs were very hot and very hilly and my lard-ass suffered accordingly.

Onto the second part of the season and the results were a bit more consistent. I started to swim more conservitively and this fed into better bike/run times. CK was my first Oly under 2:20, with a decent run (all things considered). Similar sort of result in wet conditions at DCtri. Then the Lough Key sprint where I had my best race I think, most happy with this performance in the year. Won first in AG (although lowest NS points!) but more importantly was in control during the race. Yesterday's Sprint Champs were set-up to be the high point of the year, but the crash put paid to that. Looking at the results I might have scraped into the top 5 in AG (which would have meant an automatic ETU AG spot). But instead I took my eye off the ball and so no spot (I told myself I would only go if I earned it this year).

That's my second real season in tri in a nutshell. Given the injuries, I'm content with how it went. There is a lot to work on and a lot to learn from for next year, which will be more focussed and more successful. Thanks to Dave for all the hard work he put in to coaching me (often like talking to a brick wall I'm sure), and to anyone who gave advice, tips, or encouragement during the year :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement