Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Runner required

By the way I'm entered in this Sunday's Tinahely Duathlon (May 3rd 10am start) but the coach will put a gun to my head if I run :D. Anyone fancy being part of a relay? You run 5km, I bike 20km, you run 3km. The run is mostly on nice forest trails. Anyone interested give me a message :)

Tue 3,200m Swim

200sw,200p,100k
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25 easy + 10sec
    10x200 alt sw/p hard on 3:50 (take the recovery)
    4x50 fast on 60

I could not feel the water except to drown today. Guess my arms were still pretty tired from last night- in any case the 10x200 were done hard, even though the pace was nothing great.
    Times were:
    3:05sw
    3:11pb
    3:14sw
    3:20pb
    3:21sw
    3:30pb
    3:26sw
    3:28pb
    3:30sw
    3:36pb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

KG - was thinking about you on my run in this morning. What is your run cadence like?

To my mind your low bike cadence with moderate power indicates a lot of heavy turning of big gears (?) Are you doing much or did you always cycle at this cadence?

Seems to me you would be putting a lot of pressure on your calves and by extension possibly the Achilles. High cadence biking is a way of getting the same power output with less stress on the body by using lighter gears faster.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cadence is something I've only just become aware of- to the best of my knowledge I've always biked low cadence. What you say above makes sense- coach is trying to get me spinning faster for that very reason.

PM 70mins bike

10 easy
    5x(30s build, 30s easy)
    5x(6mins 110%, 4 mins easy)
    5 mins easy

110%=308w

the kids are in the pool so I grabbed the time to do my bike session of sorts, on a gym bike, using its power meter. I've no idea of its calibration, but I found this much harder than on my turbo, so much so that I had to drop the wattage from 315w for the first 6mins, to 295w for the second, and 285w for the last four sets. It was an effort to keep going, took a lot of concentration not to quit, and I was spinning very slowly by design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cadence is something I've only just become aware of- to the best of my knowledge I've always biked low cadence. What you say above makes sense- coach is trying to get me spinning faster for that very reason.

Do you run with a low cadence too? If so there could be extra contact time and extra stress on the lower leg.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Do you run with a low cadence too? If so there could be extra contact time and extra stress on the lower leg.

I guess my running would be defined by long strides rather than higher turnover, but thats a guess- its been so long since I ran! Point taken about the extra stress. Higher running cadence is something that was mentioned and described as lean forward so you almost fall over and your running motion is a sequence of almost falling over.

Runner required

By the way I'm entered in this Sunday's Tinahely Duathlon (May 3rd 10am start) but the coach will put a gun to my head if I run :D. Anyone fancy being part of a relay? You run 5km, I bike 20km, you run 3km. The run is mostly on nice forest trails. Anyone interested give me a message :)

Speaking of running, I have filled this spot, the answer was staring me in the face all along. My, they grow up so fast!:)

Speaking of running, I have filled this spot, the answer was staring me in the face all along. My, they grow up so fast!:)

Excellent - now that's a race to look forward to!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

One of the little mathematicians?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    One of the little mathematicians?

Hopefully I can swing one of them doing the 5k, and the other doing the 3k. Haven't told them yet :), but it would be the perfect way to do a local race.

Kind of sobering that it never occurred to me before this morning. Enjoy 'em while they're little Dave, they don't stay little forever!

Hopefully I can swing one of them doing the 5k, and the other doing the 3k. Haven't told them yet :), but it would be the perfect way to do a local race.

Kind of sobering that it never occurred to me before this morning. Enjoy 'em while they're little Dave, they don't stay little forever!

I know. Day before yesterday Aoibhe snuck down after bed time. Cuddled up beside me and instead of asking "Can we watch cartoons?" asked "Any snooker on Daddy?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    I know. Day before yesterday Aoibhe snuck down after bed time. Cuddled up beside me and instead of asking "Can we watch cartoons?" asked "Any snooker on Daddy?"

ah the old if i watch what daddy wants to watch he'll let me stay up a bit with him trick.

glad to know I'm not the only father who falls for that:)

Wed 60 mins turbo

20 easy
    15x(1 spin, 1 easy)
    10 easy
    spin is > 95rpm

The 15*1min were between 94-104rpm, 235-296W. Generally getting better as it went on, so pleased enough.

mossym wrote: »
    ah the old if i watch what daddy wants to watch he'll let me stay up a bit with him trick.

glad to know I'm not the only father who falls for that:)

I don't watch snooker. I dislike it. I suggested cycling "No Daddy, snooker"

Thurs 1:15 turbo

5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    3x(15 100%, 5 easy)

HC were:
    103rpm, 294W
    101, 271
    101, 266
    102, 264

3*15min:
    86rpm, 285W
    81, 282
    74, 282

3*15 were very tough, although its notable that I had a much higher cadence than usual. I guess the recent spinning has fed into that. Can't say I especially liked the faster cadence, although its telling that when I dropped gears and cadence for the last one, I was still spinning at a much faster rate than usual.

Do you turbo at lunch or in the mornings? Nice to be able to get them done early in the day :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Do you turbo at lunch or in the mornings? Nice to be able to get them done early in the day :cool:

I'm lucky in that I work from the home office most days mainly, and just hop on the turbo upstairs when I have free time. Yes its good that its done and dusted but the flip side is I know the swim coach has some sadistic deckwork and planks waiting for us later...

pm 3,000m Masters swim and deck

200m warm up
    6*50 as 25k, 25 catchup, 10s
    3*25 on 40
    20 pressups, 20 squats
    3*50 on 55
    20 situps, 20 squats, 90s plank
    3*75 on 1:15
    20 pressups, 20 squats
    3*100 on 1:30
    20 situps, 20 squats, 90s plank
    3*125 on 2:00
    20 pressups, 20 squats
    3*150 on 2:30
    20 situps, 20 squats, 20 pressups, 20 squats, 90s plank
    5*100 on 1:45
    300m hypoxic
    100m swim down

The blood drained from my face when I saw the wall of writing on the Whiteboard... easier not to read it through, just do one line at a time. Fine until we finished the first set down the other end on the pool...:) The hardest were the 3*100, and we hit them all. For some reason I expected the set to mirror downwards, but it got longer. My body was tired for the deckwork, couldn't hold the planks for a full 90. I guess that hard turbo earlier is still in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That is a carefully constructed program of torture :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

6*50 as 25k,

Is that kicking done without a board kurt?

How do you find the plank of the Achilles? Put any pressure on it having your foot stretched for it?

That is a carefully constructed program of torture :eek:
    Speaking of torture, look what I found on someone's log ;)www.Plankathon.com
    joey100 wrote: »
    Is that kicking done without a board kurt?

How do you find the plank of the Achilles? Put any pressure on it having your foot stretched for it?

Yeah all kicking done without board. First time I've kicked properly in a while, legs felt strong.

No pressure on the achilles from the planks. In fact its feeling a lot better. I'm hoping to see some tentative jogs on the program next week... (but will avoid if "pain of death" is mentioned again ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Speaking of torture, look what I found on someone's log ;)www.Plankathon.com

That's only baby stuff ;)

Fri 60 min turbo
    20 easy
    15x(1 spin, 1 easy)
    10 easy
    spin is > 95rpm

Same session as last Monday. The 15*1min came in between 97-104rpm, and 267-285W. I'm able to control the cadence a lot more now.

pm 3,100m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    5x400 alt sw/p on 7:15
    4x50 fast on 60
    8x25 fast on 40
    200 choice easy

There's a very angry guy at our pool who is always causing trouble. He really likes "his" lane and will do anything to swim in it. Ofter we Masters are in it, and he'll enter and start swimming, just for badness. He can't swim very well either, so tends to get annoyed when people pass him. One week he got so annoyed that he rented that lane next week- just to stop us from using it! By the way, there would be very few others in the pool at this time, and plenty of other lanes more suited to his ability...

Anyway, lately he's taken to just entering the lane unannounced, swimming in the opposite direction, and trying to hit the person swimming towards him... not very effective from a very small man in his sixties with the arms of a little girl... Tonight I was swimming alone in a lane, doing my 400's, and he entered unbeknownst to me, deliberately swimming opposite to me... crash... I kept going (its the third time this has happened), swam back down...crash... kept swimming, he waited for me at a wall, I went to turn, he shot off...crash...

I told him if he did it again I'd consider it assault and report him, at which point he called over an exasperated lifeguard and started raving at him. What do you do when someone much smaller and weaker is going out of their way to smash into you in a pool? He actually left the lane next door when one other joined, just to get into the lane I was in. 6 people in the pool in total at the time! Answers on a postcard please...

Anyway, one of the 400sw was interrupted, but most came in steady 6:30. The fast 50's were under 40s, and the 25's... well I got to vent during them, so they were in 16-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Strange behaviour and well handled. Maybe your coach hired this guy to do this to test your staying power and temperament ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

flatblackspike.jpg

Your only solution. It's a bit daft of him. I'd nearly report it to the pool management and have them threaten to ban him for that sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

There's a very angry guy at our pool who is always causing trouble. He really likes "his" lane and will do anything to swim in it.

Like you, the poor guy just wants his own way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Like you, the poor guy just wants his own way :p

I used to get this in the kcr. Same guys would be attracted too the lane with best swimmers even if less in the other lanes. Resulted in heated arguments!

I swim in swan Leisur now. Whist more people they are respectful of rules of the lane. If it gets tech the lifeguard will intervene and direct slower swimmers to different lanes. He will give out to us for passing mid lane but probably being fair overall.

Nothing you can do with some people though makes no sense and no enjoyment for anyone.

• Advertisement

Fisting drill. .....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement