Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Bambaata wrote: »
    So did you negative spilt this run too ;-) ??

Hope it goes well Kurt but please take it slowly this time!! Give yourself a chance!! You've made so many gains that it would be a shame for you not to be able to realise them in a race setting!

I actually did negative split... mainly because my Garmin didn't take a lock until after I started running, so I thought my average speed was slower than I was actually running.

Your advice above is very important. The natural tendency when coming back from injury is to push too much too early. Being told to go slow and go easy is golden advice (Joey called me out a few weeks back too), and a lot more useful than well-meaning-but-useless "you're awesome!" encouragement that sometimes is read on injured logs. Please continue to give the same advice. People who are injured, constantly need to hear it, however much we may not want to hear it!

I have Carlow in two weeks- my race will end in T2. Ditto Lough Cutra the following week. The goal is Geneva Sprint in 8 weeks- if I can run the last 5k in 22mins I'll consider that a result. The option of sub 20 is off the table, if I train for that I'd likely not make the start line. Will target later races in the season, as you say it'd be a shame to ruin the swim/bike progress.

Thurs 1:20 turbo

10 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    2x(20 100%, 10 easy)
    (HC > 100rpm)

The HC (first in a lower gear so felt harder)
    100rpm 316W
    102 278
    103 279
    101 269

Both the 20min at FTP were tough- I guess just how FTP is meant to feel. You can sustain it, but it pinches just enough to keep you on the edge... dropping 10W would be a lot more comfortable. Glad they are finished now! First one was 86rpm 287W, second one 85rpm 285W (my FTP is 280W).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you doing other activities that aren't being logged here for the Achilles? By that I mean strengthening, rolling, physical therapist, etc

I know when I'm injured I sometimes spend over 40mins a night on rehab

You're going well on the bike and looking leaner too :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you doing other activities that aren't being logged here for the Achilles? By that I mean strengthening, rolling, physical therapist, etc

I know when I'm injured I sometimes spend over 40mins a night on rehab

You're going well on the bike and looking leaner too :cool:

Stretching exercises done throughout the day, both for the achilles/calf and the neck (chiropractor reckons the heel stems from neck/back misallignment). Also doing isotonic contraction for the neck throughout the day. I do rolling a couple of times a week. (Compression socks, kinseo tape, and cod liver oil tablets for placebo effect).

Yeah I've dropped a bit of weight, under 88kg now, still got a good bit to go yet. I certainly notice the difference even a couple of kg lost make on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Kurt Godel wrote: »

I have Carlow in two weeks- my race will end in T2. Ditto Lough Cutra the following week.

I'll do the run legs for you if you want.

• Advertisement

I'll do the run legs for you if you want.

Thanks for the offer Kate, but I think its a big hassle to change to relay at this stage! But for some relay I'd love to take you up on that offer!

I'll wait and see how the injury responds before 100% deciding on a T2 exit, but will err on caution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I have Carlow in two weeks- my race will end in T2. Ditto Lough Cutra the following week. The goal is Geneva Sprint in 8 weeks- if I can run the last 5k in 22mins I'll consider that a result. The option of sub 20 is off the table, if I train for that I'd likely not make the start line. Will target later races in the season, as you say it'd be a shame to ruin the swim/bike progress.

I'm doing cutra as well, you can use my run time as well if you like..:)

mossym wrote: »
    I'm doing cutra as well, you can use my run time as well if you like..:)

I'll give you my ankle strap in T2. Don't make me wait too long...;)

not at all Kurt. having done the race last year i know the furthest out point of the course, the perfect spot to hang your timing chip off a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Probably keep you just over 40 minutes.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ditto Lough Cutra the following week.

Ya better say hello!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I actually did negative split... mainly because my Garmin didn't take a lock until after I started running, so I thought my average speed was slower than I was actually running.

Your advice above is very important. The natural tendency when coming back from injury is to push too much too early. Being told to go slow and go easy is golden advice (Joey called me out a few weeks back too), and a lot more useful than well-meaning-but-useless "you're awesome!" encouragement that sometimes is read on injured logs. Please continue to give the same advice. People who are injured, constantly need to hear it, however much we may not want to hear it!

I cant say i manage such times any better though, its easy to see it from the outside looking in, not so easy when in the situation. Ive sabotaged almost every A race over the last 4 years so im nobody to speak but hopefully patience is something i have learned myself now. Reckon i was at a tipping point 7-10 days ago and fortunately just did nothing for a few days so dodged a bullet! Here's to many more running km's for you

pm 1,800m swim

400m warm up
    10*50 as (25kick, 25drill, 5s)
    10*100 on 1:30 (didn't make all these!)

Tough set tonight, and to be honest I knew I wouldn't get them, as I did the hard turbo earlier. No matter, I figured I'd do 3 or 4 of the 100's and see how I got on. Six of us in the lane with 5s in between each, I went 4th, but there was no draft at all as the three ahead are speedsters. In that respect I was gunning for a "proper" 400m under 6 mins- my previous 5:49 was done while sucking on toes in front.

First 100 was solid, a too fast 1:16, but meant plenty of rest. The next felt as solid, but came in 1:24. The third was pinching but still came in 1:28. I did the fourth in 1:24, for a 5:54 400m in total (time from start of first to end of fourth). I'm happy with this as it was solid controlled swimming.

I stood out for the 5th and rested, did the next 300m hitting each 1:30, rested 50m, and did another 200m just over 1:30 pace. Had to dash as the kids were waiting, but I'm pretty happy overall with how the swim went. The goal now will be to string 6 or 7 of those <1:30 100's together.

tunney wrote: »
    Probably keep you just over 40 minutes.............

i read it as kurt expected to be waiting in t2 for me to come in off the bike to hand me the chip...

mossym wrote: »
    i read it as kurt expected to be waiting in t2 for me to come in off the bike to hand me the chip...

That's how it was meant... however I think the coach has just told us both something...:D

Fri 3,000m swim

100sw,200p,300sw,400p,500sw
    500p,400sw,300p,200sw,100p

Average pace 1:43, all done at steady/mod pace. Some of my Masters group were doing a faster session in the lane next door, so watching them underwater was an education in itself. Lots of S-shaped pulls being put to good use.

PM 3k run @ 5:18/km pace

I went to put on my calf guard in preparation for this run and for a moment puzzled over which leg is the injured one? Have to take that as a good sign. The run itself was incident free, a very enjoyable jog along the river in the rain. The air of panic subsides after the first minute running, and I kept everything nice and easy.

Sat 2.5k run

Yesterday was very busy workwise, I was lucky to get the swim in between meetings. Today I entered the office in the morning to tidy my desk... next thing I know its after 5pm and I've put a full day into working. Pain in the ass, its got to be done, but it eats into valuable training. I didn't feel like sitting on a turbo for 3 hours, and the young lad had just got a new pair of sneakers and wanted to try them out, so off to the forest for a jog with the kids. About 2.5k done, all slower than 5min pace, and yet again the heel behaved, absolutely no pain or sensation at all.

Sun 3 hour turbo

Lousy weather down here for May- wet, windy, and cold. The choice was made, the wimpy option chosen, turbo numbness for 3 hours.

PM 2.5k easy run

I'm hypercautious of the heel, but the young fella wanted to go running again so I decided to try another short run. There has been zero issues since the last couple of tests, and indeed today was fine too. Each step needs to be hesitant, constantly awaiting the first slightest flinch of pain, but it never came. Good run, and even better to be out running with the son.

Mon 30min run; 3,300m Masters swim

Junior wanted to go for a run again today, so off again to the Railway Walk. My run program is very strict this week, and I had a 30min scheduled, the longest I've run in ages. I'm still hypercautious- even getting up this morning I was concerned there was pain (there's not). Kept the run pace slow (slower than 5min/km), and worried about every step. At one stage I thought it was hurting- it wasn't, its almost like a phantom niggle caused by worry. But the 30mins were done without incident, no pain or any issues, and I could have kept on going (stopped at 30:00 exactly and walked the 200m to the car ;)).

Swim:
    6*150 as (25k, 50drill, 75swim; 10s)
    10*50pb on 1:00
    Main set:
    5*200 on 3:10 (hold 2:40-2:50)
    10*50k, 10s rest
    400m swim down choice

The main set were tough 200's. Coach told us beforehand to get 2 done, then just countdown the last 3,2,1, as a sort of mental trick. I wanted to see what I could do myself, so left enough gap that I never had a draft- however the hold pace was probably beyond me. First came in 2:45, happy with that. Next 2:50, and again I was happy with my control in the water. Third was 2:55, starting to hurt, and I just got in under 3:00 for the last two. I'm pretty happy about that, its a nice session to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Geez! Good swimming Kurt!

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Geez! Good swimming Kurt!

Its all about the fish you surround yourself with! I'm lucky with the group in Arklow, the Coach is Level 3, teaches all ages, and is very good at making sessions and helping swimmers along. He used to swim <50s 100m in his day. He's the glue that binds us all together! Then there's one guy who is a great OW swimmer, who is targeting big races this year. Another guy is a very good Triathlete, ex-biker. Recently a guy joined us who used swim for a high level in England, and is rediscovering his speed (and how!). Then there's me and a couple of others around the same level, and none of us want to fall behind too far!

It's an education to watch and swim with these guys, you push much harder and squeeze more out of yourself swimming with them.

Tue 2,600m swim

200s, 200pb
    5*400 best effort on 7:45
    200 swim down

I was tight for time so lost some kicks and fast 50's, but the main set was the 400's. Case in point from my post above, another guy I know entered the lane next door, he was doing 500's, with a few mins break in between each. However, we were in synch for my second and fourth 400, and I had someone to fight and so was faster. Died on my last 400 though!

5*400 in (6:39, 6:26, 6:33, 6:26, 6:50)

*edit- feck just saw they should have been "best even effort, so should have been a more consistent pace... ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

*edit- feck just saw they should have been "best even effort, so should have been a more consistent pace... ah well.

I think career move owes you a tongue lashing. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think career move owes you a tongue lashing. ;)

Indeed!:D

I got to the pool and couldn't remember if I should do "best effort" or "best even effort"... when in doubt, you've less to fear from the coaches wrath by doing the tougher of the two!

PM 50 min turbo

5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(2:40 90%, 20sec 120%+ )
    5 easy
    HC > 100rpm

Done on the bike machine in the gym, where I seemed to produce more sweat than the combined orifaces and glands of everyone else in the room.

Wed 5k run @ 5:18/km pace

Another test run, the best yet to be honest. There is still some stiffness in the heel upon waking, but there are also a whole load other areas with stiffness too, that require stretching and cracking first thing. Part of being 44 I guess.

Run was along the river, great day to be out and about. There was no pain, no stiffness, nothing to suggest I was carrying an injury. Kept the pace slower than 5min/km, and the HR under 150. I've a Sprint at the weekend, options are to exit at T2, or finish with a 25min run. We'll decide tomorrow, I want to err on the side of caution so I've a fair idea how the conversation will go. It'd be easier though if I did feel some pain; that would make my mind up.

Fri 900m OW swim

Nothing done yesterday, there was a general bug in the house, so we all sat around feeling crap and bate the heads of each other. Better today though and all smiles again :)

I had a will I/won't I back and forth with the coach, regarding Carlow Sprint this weekend. The run won't be much faster than a 25 min jog, if I do it at all, and I've to be disciplined in that respect. Not sure how that will go with raceface on to be honest, but at least it will stop me dead in my tracks if there is the slightest hint of pain. Which there hasn't been for a while, touch wood. I was at the chiropractor this morning and he is very pleased with the progress. So I'll race 2/3 of Carlow anyway, and then see what happens the last 1/3. I've been given a very tough ask for the 2/3!

Tonight some from the club were swimming the route. They went in last Sunday too, and the concensus was the flow has slowed a lot since then. Perfectly flat river, lovely conditions, it was cold but not as cold as I'd have expected. Took a while to acclimatise, but once the ice-cream headache had come and gone, the cold wasn't noticed. I swam up at a relatively leisurely pace, stopping at times to look at the flow, going faster other times. Took me 14 minutes in all to the turn. From there I swam back in one go- took me just over 5 minutes. Its a great place to swim, and its going to be a real spectacle along the bank for observers. I'm came out of the water on a high, and am really looking forward to this race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have some fun with it!! :)

Sun 950m swim

Got down for the Racing 795 triathlon, really psyched up for it. Met at good few from these parts beforehand; first race of the season for many so there was the expected nervousness all around trans... a lot of energy. I got chatting to a girl I swim with, who told me she heard the swim had been changed to a downstream... I was sure she was pulling my leg, but then they had the race briefing. Changed to a 1km downstream... and the obligitory high pitched whoops of delight that greeted the news. The rest I zoned out, chatted to Griff who stressed it wasn't 795's doing. I'd little interest in the race after this news, decided I wouldn't risk the run. To be honest I didn't care about the bike either. Maybe thats a sh*t attitude to have, but I've travelled the country to races over the past few years, and its always the same news, you are waiting to hear at race briefing that the swim has been shortened or made easier or cancelled.

A silent walk to the start, hopped in the river, its cold but not too bad. Wait for the start, go, ... and I could't be arsed. Put in a half hearted effort, no attempt to take good line, or look for a draft, I was numb during the swim. It came, it went, people were bunched together. Getting out I tripped on a fold in the rubber mats, smack onto my face (still in the water though). Walked to trans, noticed blood on my foot. Had a closed look and there was a wide tear across my big toe, where I hit the mat I guess. Dropped out before trans, Griff got the medical guys (thanks Griff!), who cleaned and said I'd need stiches. They brought me to the hospital, doc said I could have stiches and no training for a few weeks, or chance gluing the would and no training for a week. Gimme the glue doc...

Lough Cutra next week is out (wouldn't have travelled anyway after todays TI nonsense, too far for water temp roulette). Have to take a few days off and then reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ah sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The first point is that I am never doing the same tri as you because youre like the unlucky mascot of shortened swims. I have yet to have that happen.

Second, boo hiss to the bad luck of the toe. Unfortunately the nature of being this active means we burst ourselves open or break things from time to time. Thankfully yours is relatively minor. Heal well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement