Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So sorry - was a crap day all around for you - and you seem to have horrible luck entering events that get their swim shortened. UGH!! And BOO! But your situation reminds me of something I have been told over and over again by various people regarding what may happen on the day of an IronMan race (or any race day, for that matter) - only worry about what you can control. I know it must get old to you to have your favorite/best leg altered almost every race you enter, but maybe try and just go with it. Say feck it....and have some fun with what you are handed. 1k downstream?? Why not think of yourself as a hydro-rocket and try and spit yourself out the stream first? Enjoy the speed of the water assisting you along...see how frickin' fast you can go, and think of the bragging rights you'll have with your time. (no one needs to know you swam at a 59:xx sec/100 meter pace with "stream assistance" ;))

But if you're still really not happy with adjusting and adapting to the swim being shortened/altered/canceled, then is there is a way to research the race's history in this regard? Sort of like when you book a flight on an airplane - you can find out their "on time" history and rating. ?? Any way, don't get too down. Keep it all in perspective. Ultimately we do this for enjoyment...and the good news is there are three disciplines in triathlon - it's not just a swim, but hopefully a swim, bike and run. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you mean i spent a day up at cutra finding a branch to hang your timing chip off for nothing? next time you'll be carrying the bloody thing yourself

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully that glued cut in your toe won't give you much hassle and you'll be back doing what you obviously love soon again!!

I am not 100% sure what exactly are you located, but seeming that swimming is your thing, would you not consider doing swimming only events, where there is a qualifying requirement to participate, so the likelihood of the event being cancelled/ shortened or course change is smaller than in Try??? I know there is plenty of events here in the south (most of them do not require a qualifying event but I haven't seen anything cancelled and people cheering because of it...if you entered it's because 1. you want to do it, 2. you and those around you know you can do it!) and lots in Dublin and thereabouts...just food for though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bad luck P.

Long OW season ahead though, by September this race will be a distant memory as you set PB after PB on the Leinster calendar so I wouldn't worry too much.

The aquathons should give you a bit of relief too - maybe branch out and come join us for the Howth series as well as the Bray series this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Kurt

i get your disappointment on the swimming in terms of it being your strongest leg and all of that but not why you let that change your whole attitude towards the race. there was plenty to be gained from swimming that leg hard even if you didnt finish the whole thing, its the fast swim wave in a NS race, you get to compete with guys of your ability, get practice at being surrounded by other swimmers just as good as you, drafting, lines etc, its all the same just quicker. I took a lot from it and when i have my A race in two weeks i will be better for it hopefully.

sorry to hear of your foot troubles

MD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

@ ToTriOrNot and Mojo
    I will do the Leinster series of OW races again this summer for sure. They are brilliant fun, as much competition as you want, and are a real test against the elements. Loved them last year, and will likely do more Sea races than Tri races for that reason.

@MD1983
    You are (literally!) suggesting I just go with the flow for these Tri events, and I totally get where you are coming from. I don't want to be the cranky bugger always complaining about races that others have enjoyed. However, I'm just so fed up of decent swims being changed because of back markers. The swim yesterday wasn't a race, it was an easy scramble downstream, with little variance in overall times according to ability. So not much benefit to someone who trains for the swim, and no benefit for my recce work in the previous days. It's just happened too often to me, and I'm fed up of quietly appeasing it. I know its a lousy attitude to have, and I couldn't but help get into race mode towards the end of the swim, chasing groups down, swimming wider to look for better current... too little too late.
    As above, I'll target OW races for now, I'm doing sport for challenge and enjoyment, and at least you can turn up and swim to the best of your abilities in a challenging race. Then do the ETU Tri where the swim will be guaranteed, and maybe do a couple of later season Tris where its more likely the advertised swim will go ahead.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    So not much benefit to someone who trains for the swim

But...it's a TRIathlon. ;) (you know I love you!)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    But...it's a TRIathlon. ;) (you know I love you!)

Exactly. Its not a duathlon preceeded by a slightly wet costume change. I put in effort for bike/run training too. We have lakes and rivers and seas all round Ireland, conditions are largely predictable, it shouldn't have been any surprise to anyone prepared that the Barrow tends to flow slightly downstream.

*Edit* by the way (not directed at anyone at all), I've probably said all I want to say on the matter. Its hopefully clear where I'm coming from, and likewise I appreciate that people who are telling me to go with what will be on race day, have a very valid point too. Lets leave the analysis at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How many times has this happened you Kurt - the shortened or cancelled swim?

How's the toe?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How many times has this happened you Kurt - the shortened or cancelled swim?

How's the toe?

Way too often for my liking! :D But I'll shut up about it.

Toe is okay I guess, have to keep it elevated and watch out for infection. Think that elevation caused an almighty calf cramp last night, I woke up nearly puked with the pain!

Back training in a few days, touch wood. On the flip side I'm getting a lot of office work done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds nasty....looks nasty too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

It looked lovely at the time, like raw steak. All I could think was Leptospirosis............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Fri 50 mins turbo

I did 50 mins turbo, felt good, toe would be too sore to run but no
    issues on the bike at all.

215W av for the 50:00
    including
    5 min @ 275W
    5 min easy
    5 min @ 302W

I'd say I can run again next week. Will have to keep an eye on coming back too fast.
    Weighed in at 87.1kg after the turbo, so that at least is something going in the right direction.

P is for Positivity; thank you Carol, you're the best reason to be on this forum :)

Sat 30 k bike

Easy, with backpack and chair, in between marshalling for the WWrelay. Great to see this race again.

Sun Lough Cutra Oly 2:35:28

After the WWR I was having a few beers at home and feeling sorry for myself (missing out on racing), so I switched to tea, and made plans to drive early and do Lough Cutra, I was entered in it anyway. So I packed all the gear, hit the sack early, and headed off at 4:30 for a blearly-eyed drive. I really like this race, their set-up and organisation is second to none. Got regged, watched the Gauntlet HIM race start, and went and racked the bike, all very hassle-free. When changing I realised I'd left the trisuit behind (along with Garmin, elastics, and who knows what else). Luckily I had a spare so was good to go. The trans area at Cutra is brilliant, it opens/closes to suit the waves, and works very well. Had a chat to Mossy here, where we but gave out pre-race excuses!

Swim 29:09
    I had to laugh when they were proudly announcing the water temps as 13˚C :) Fine for a ITU 750m, but the HIM 1,900 had just left, and we were to swim 1,500! To be fair, no-one drowned, it was cold but that goes as soon as you start moving, they just gone on with it rather than fretting over water temps for wetsuited swimmers. Reckon they were using BTF temp rules, which make a lot more sense in this part of the world! Lake was very calm. I positioned to stay out of trouble, and just hit the water hard (along with everyone else). After last weeks disappointment I wanted a good swim, and was determined to work hard. There was one or two speedsters who took off, but otherwise there was a good group around. It was a long swim to the end bouy, and people were gradually dropping off. I never got on feet for long, instead just pushing on and keeping a good eye on who was around me.
    At the turnaround I kicked hard to make the turn just ahead of a pack, and began the long swim for home. The course was long in my opinion (and that of others afterwards), but I was in control of my swim back. Mostly I was swimming into water myself, with just one set of feet available, but he was zigzagging. I made sure to keep the bouys on my right but they had drifted a bit from a straight line, and others were cutting them to stay straight, the bastards. So I made it my goal to get back in front of the cutters and beat them, and thats what I did. Think I exited about 6th in my wave, very happy with the swim.

T1 1:45
    Slow, as I had to delicately but a sock over the busted toe, so lost some time here.

Bike 1:17:57
    Got past the mount line and couldn't get my feet in (no elastics), so had to take the shoes off the bike, put them on the feet, and clip in. More lost time... Once I got going it was solid. Picked off a couple from my wave (I think, there was so much going on it was hard to tell) and just went a solid aero for the first 7km. Different story on the backroads! I had a lad on a roadie who sailed by me here, and I'd catch him back on the flat. This ding-dong continued for a while, before I managed to cut a lead on the straight from Gort to Cutra. Another lap, much the same story, except very congested. I was happy with the bike, its about 4:30 faster than last year.

T2 1:03
    A lad stopped at the dismount line, started running, and his shoe went flying. As he retrieved it, I went past and started running down. Turns out it was zico, and we had a brief few words running down into trans. I put on the shoes and entered into the great unknown...

Run 45:32
    Coach had told me the one condition on racing today was that I stopped at the first sign of any calf or toe pain. So I figured this run would be slow, any benefit would come from finding out if I could run at all (haven't run 10k or more since Feb). Zico took off ahead, I watched and tried to learn something from his gait, but I don't remember anything now, ah well! 1km, 2km... no Garmin, but I figured I was jogging about 5min/km. The achilles was playing ball, so I just kept at the same pace. Once or twice I tried to up the pace a little but the achilles made it known that the pace had been upped (no pain, just a slight extra strain on it). So nothing much to say except I did one lap, I did another, and it was a jog. I was aware my swim and bike were solid, so it felt like I was giving away places on the run. Nothing else for it though. The finish line came, I was very happy overall with how the race went, and with how my achilles acted.

Overall- 46th place, 3rd M45. Looking at the results, 5 mins faster on the run would have bought me 20 places. But I can't really complain, I had a good day. Swim was great, bike was solid, run was completed. There was a great atmosphere around, bands playing, kids races, good crowd, knowledgable MC... they really put on a good race. I left early though as I'd a long drive ahead. Pity, as I never got to meet AKW and pgibbo, sorry lads! I was past Limerick on the road home when a teammate told me I had won a AG prize... the prize I don't care about, but it would have been nice to get a photo on the podium. It would have been a story to tell my kids, and I could have got a copy framed with me as an AG winner. That would have been tunney's Xmas present sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done on your podium finish :)

You could have made your own podium when you got home, got your trisuit on, grabbed a DCM medal and taken a selfie. Tunney would never have known. Too late now though ;)

Well now....I guess P is for podium. ;) Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Catching up on the log Kurt. Started back at the Big Toe incident and to this happier point. Well done. A good swim sure boosted your mood and 45 for the run all things considered was a good return. Kudos on the AG podium too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

That's some good running off little run training Kurt. How's the toe and Achilles today? You manage to get through the whole swim without the toe being whacked by someone drafting you?

joey100 wrote: »
    That's some good running off little run training Kurt. How's the toe and Achilles today? You manage to get through the whole swim without the toe being whacked by someone drafting you?

Run was probably closer to 9k than 10k, but yeah I was happy enough to get around. The achilles feels great today, much better than it has in ages, actually. So I'm most happy with that. If I didn't have any coach I'd take that as a green light to up the run distance/intensity, but that ain't going to be happening this week!

I had someone on my feet most of the way around, but the few slaps on the foot every so often didn't seem any bother. Toe was a bit sore and inflamed yesterday, mainly down to running in a shoe and the pressure that would have given to the wound. No blood though, so I seemed to get through it without any ill effects.

Mon 1,000m Masters swim

400m warm up
    400mTT in 5:50
    200 swim down

I've been pretty stiff today- thats to be expected. However, the achilles and calf feel better and looser than they have in a long long time. The toe is a bit sore, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Coach had a 400mTT planned for tonight which I forgot about. After a 400m warm up to de-creak the limbs, we settled on position. Last time I did a TT I was sucking toes all the way, and felt it a very easy 5:49. Tonight I went fourth in line, a new faster guy would lead off so anyone who wanted the tug could go for it, I wanted to swim without a draft. Also, I wasn't sure if I'd have to quit with cramp or tiredness; a long days journey and race yesterday is hardly the best prep for a TT.

Off we went, and I was swimming solidly from the start. The three boys ahead seemed to overcook their first 75, and opened a big gap on me. That was fine, I wanted to do my own thing. First 100 done, I saw I was just under 1:25. The pace felt good, I was swimming well. 200m done in about 2:53, so I knew I was pacing well. The third 100m was all about holding it, and I pushed a bit on the last 100m to come in about 13secs behind the boys, in 5:50. That's my first "proper" TT under 6 mins, and it felt a lot stronger and more controlled than anything I've done before.

• Advertisement

Tue 1:15 easy turbo; 2,800m swim

Turbo: 161W average, 67rpm average.

Swim:
    200sw, 200pb
    4*50 fist on 60
    5*400pb on 7:30 (in 6:30, 6:36, 6:37, 6:43, 6:46)
    200m hypoxic (3,2,1,0,0,1,2,3)

There's a touch of DOMS in my legs today, felt pretty stiff getting up. Drove to Dublin for a big client meeting, drove back home and hopped on the turbo. Felt better after the easy spin. Later I hit the pool, tried a bit of kick during the warm up but my calf said nuh-uh. The 400's were with pb, and I hate the pb. Tumbled the first two, touched the next two, tumbled the last. Not much difference, that variance doesn't tell too much except that I did the set on tired arms.

Wed 30min easy run @ 5min/km pace

Both legs are still a bit stiff from Sunday's run- nothing too bad, just the feeling from muscles that hadn't been used in a while. I put on both calf guards for an easy run. The "good" calf was the one giving me trouble- again, nothing too bad, just letting me know it existed. But the main point is that the "bad" calf didn't play up even an iota. I started at about 5:16/km pace, and gently pushed a little faster to end up at 4:50/km pace. Felt good to be running without any issues, and that there is plenty of legs for faster than 4:50/km. That's not for testing today or tomorrow though.

Thurs 1,750m Masters swim

300m warm up
    200m IMO
    500m as 25kick, 25 drill, 15s
    Main set:
    20 pressup, 20 situps, 20 squats
    5*100m on 1:35
    90s plank, 10 pressups, 10 situps, 10 squats
    5*50 on 45

I'm very busy at work these days, so busy that I haven't had time to study for my final maths exam in a weeks time. I tried to defer it but got the news this morning that wasn't possible; either sit it or pay €1,200 and repeat the whole year. Dammit, nothing for it but to break out the books and start cramming. So by the time tonights swim came around I was fairly exhausted, and it showed in the pool. Thankfully, very few were there this evening, so I didn't feel too bad ditching after one set (we were meant to do 3 sets). I hit all the times, but it wasn't very fluid. Hopefully I'll be more rested tomorrow, I've something with similar pace on the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Thurs 1,750m Masters swim

300m warm up
    200m IMO
    500m as 25kick, 25 drill, 15s
    Main set:
    20 pressup, 20 situps, 20 squats
    5*100m on 1:35
    90s plank, 10 pressups, 10 situps, 10 squats
    5*50 on 45

I'm very busy at work these days, so busy that I haven't had time to study for my final maths exam in a weeks time. I tried to defer it but got the news this morning that wasn't possible; either sit it or pay €1,200 and repeat the whole year. Dammit, nothing for it but to break out the books and start cramming. So by the time tonights swim came around I was fairly exhausted, and it showed in the pool. Thankfully, very few were there this evening, so I didn't feel too bad ditching after one set (we were meant to do 3 sets). I hit all the times, but it wasn't very fluid. Hopefully I'll be more rested tomorrow, I've something with similar pace on the schedule.

You were in the pool? Reads like knobbing about in a crossfit gym :)

tunney wrote: »
    You were in the pool? Reads like knobbing about in a crossfit gym :)

You notice how I've been making all the girls crazy lately? Its these huge shoulder muscles boss.

Fri 30mins easy run

6k in the forest, this was the most pain free run in months. It felt great, lets were loose, lots of energy, no problems or signs of problems with the achilles.

Athy double Oly tomorrow, to finish at T2. That or Xtreme Cage fighting.

Sat swim and bike sections of TriAthy double Oly

I had entered this ages ago, thought I had got a refund of my entry, but an email came through saying I was still entered, checked my CC and no sign of a refund, ah well no harm done. Talked to the Gov'ner and mentioned the entry, told him I needed to hear a "no" from him. Instead he gave me a much more detailed appraisal of where I stood- race the swim, race the bike, but leave the shoes at home as the risk would be there to finish the race, and it was unlikely I'd come out of a 20k run unscathed. So I packed the car, set the alarm, and off I went.

Swim: 50:57 (15th)
    Given the course, there was little chance this swim would be cut short. The route was 900m upstream, 600m down, 600m up, 900m down. To be honest I'm not happy with my performance, I lost a lot of ground on the downstream for some reason. Race started and its a mad scramble for places, arms and legs chopping everywhere. This isn't an aspect of river racing I like, but its part and parcel so I didn't let it affect my swim, and kept everything under control. I was pretty strong going up to the turnaround, but at the bouy the swimmers around me just cut 10m straight away. I tried to bridge the gap but they kept pulling away. A few others passed me too going down. Turn again and swim back up, and immediately I can bridge the gap to those in front, can pass one or two, and can control my swim. So I was strong again swimming up, but again I was dropped at the turnaround, and left for dead. I don't know why- I was swimming the same line so its not the flow. I tried to kick but my calf said no-no. Tried a longer glide; tried a choppier turnover; nothing was working. I was passed by one or two others too going down. So I exited a little disappointed, but its no harm as there are questions to be answered and lessons to be learned.

T1: 3:48
    No rush here whatsoever- the main thing was to check my bandage on my toe, and put a sock over it for protection. I also pulled on extra bike shorts, and zipped up a bike top, as the forecast was for cold. Doubt it was really needed tbh.

Bike: 2:31:04 (av speed 31.5kph, power 223W, cadence 72)
    Two laps of a 40km route. This wasn't going to be anything more than a hard training spin, albeit the race environment would make me push a bit. I felt good on the bike from the off, was down on the bars for most of the race. I'd no time or speed goal, but when I did the first lap in 1:15 I figured a good target would be to get the 80k under 2:30 in total. Alas, that wasn't to be, I started to run out of energy early on the second lap. Comparing 5k splits from my Garmin, I lost a few seconds, and about 15W, for each 5k on the second lap. This is probably due to fueling- no breakfast before the race, and one gel taken (too late) at 45k. That would be usual for my training spins, so I don't mind that it had an effect on the race, as again I learned something about when I need to fuel. Also, my derailleur needs fixing, I couldn't get into the lower gears so suffered on the straights and downhills. My fastest 5k splits (downhills) also show the lowest power.

I bailed at T2- I felt good and considered doing a 5k run lap but I'd have been killed if it affected tomorrows run. Also, I was able to get my bike and bag out, as I was in trans, so happy enough to call it quits. A decent training day, some questions to answer, but overall I'm glad I went. Otherwise I'd have missed seeing my favourite Boardie at the race ;) Hope it went well for you Racoon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I bailed at T2- I felt good and considered doing a 5k run lap but I'd have been killed if it affected tomorrows run. Also, I was able to get my bike and bag out, as I was in trans, so happy enough to call it quits. A decent training day, some questions to answer, but overall I'm glad I went. Otherwise I'd have missed seeing my favourite Boardie at the race ;) Hope it went well for you Racoon.

We've so much in common reading yours and mine. All the best people bailed in T2.

You only turned up for the hug!

No rain at 4:30am, the hug probability Index was high!

Good to see you there, and happy to be there, and happy with your day's work.

Otherwise I'd have missed seeing my favourite Boardie at the race ;) Hope it went well for you Racoon.

Okay girls, straight from the horse's mouth! ;)

(nice job today, KG!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay girls, straight from the horse's mouth! ;)

(nice job today, KG!)

Can't blame him really ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement