Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P in the Pool

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Sun 30mins easy run 5:15min/km pace

I was wrecked starting this run- legs were tired from yesterday, and more importantly my brain was fried from 10 hours straight cramming Linear Statistical Modelling... its important to realise just how connected mind and body are. I was glad to get out for a trot, lovely fresh May evening "after the rain". 5*20sec build were included, happy to push a little harder, and happier still that my achilles passed the test.

Mon 2:10 easy turbo

This was a scheduled long bike outdoors but the weather was crap down here from early morning and only got worse. So several hours of study, followed by an easy turbo. 161W av 72rpm av

Tue 40mins easy run

Easy pace, no watch, probably a little faster than 5min/km, felt good except calves were tight towards the end.

I couldn't get to the pool today, very busy at work and study. Once this week is over I will have a lot more time for training...

Wed FTP Test- Failed

5min EZ
    5min as (30s build, 30s easy)
    5min TT (352W av)
    10min easy (187W)
    3-4 mins over 330W, then started failing...tried to get going again...kaput.

I had it in the legs, didn't have it mentally. My brain is exhausted from recent study. I tried the mental tricks to bypass pain, they worked for the 5min TT but I couldn't hold it for the 20min TT. Will have to reschedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Wed FTP Test- Failed

5min EZ
    5min as (30s build, 30s easy)
    5min TT (352W av)
    10min easy (187W)
    3-4 mins over 330W, then started failing...tried to get going again...kaput.

I had it in the legs, didn't have it mentally. My brain is exhausted from recent study. I tried the mental tricks to bypass pain, they worked for the 5min TT but I couldn't hold it for the 20min TT. Will have to reschedule.

Its never a failed session when it comes to FTP tests in my mind. Its a learning experience. Enduring is central and learning what helps and hinders your ability to endure is what matters.

For me its lack of sleep. Hangovers no problem.

• Advertisement

Yes, certainly a learning experience. Would I be right in surmised there are only two useful types of FTP test; those you complete having flogged yourself beyond where you thought possible, and those you bail during. In that an FTP test completed at a "comfortable" level is useless?

Anyway, lessons learnt, today was a big big reminder of the just how important the mind is in training. Without sounding too dramatic, I've been pushing what is possible mentally for the past two years, and its been coming to a head for some time. This past two weeks in particular have been very challenging mentally, and I just didn't have the extra brainpower to give to the FTP test today. Big exam in two days; things will be easier after that.

Tonight I took my bruised and battered brain into the cold brine of Wicklow harbour. It was only a ten minute dip, and I didn't get a whole load of swimming done, but the sensation of cold running up my nasal passage to chill the cerebrum was totally worth the 90-min round trip drive.

Thurs 60mins turbo; 1,700m Masters swim

Easy turbo- easy is relatively easier at higher wattages these days (184W av, 61rpm av).

Swim:
    300m warm up
    8*50 as 25k, 25drill
    10*100 off 1:25

Where did the "off 1:30" set go?:) This set was way beyond my capabilities but I've been thinking lately that capabilities are just arbitrary barriers we set ourselves, we don't actually know whats possible until we try it. So I tried, and I didn't hit it this time. Nevertheless, I got a (draft-assisted) 1,000m pb, coming in 14:50. We just kept going, no rest for the 100's (I guess because we didn't earn any!). It was solid until 400m, where it began to sting a little, and got tougher from 600-800, but manageable from there to the end.

Happy I tried it now, 14:50 may be down to sucking someones toes, but its useful practice to swim that fast for that long, and is a good route to doing it solo some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy I tried it now, 14:50 may be down to sucking someones toes, but its useful practice to swim that fast for that long, and is a good route to doing it solo some day soon.

It's better to chase than be chased. ;)

Fri 12.34km easy (5:34min/km pace)

I had my last maths exam in Dublin today. Its a sewer of a city... walked out from Stephen's Green to Griffith Ave., the sheer amount of junkies and beggars is astounding. Maybe it was the time of the morning, maybe it was methadone delivery day, but its a mess having to share the same space as people like that; loudly cursing, aggressively begging, shouting and fighting amongst each other inthaaasluuurrrredgguuuttteeeraaaallllunisentencemmaaaannnnnnn... a waste of brain power and potential.

Anyway, exam done, went well but not brilliant (70-80% I'd say rather than the 85% that would have ensured an overall first for the degree), on with the running gear and jog home with backpack. The first thing I remember about jogging in Dublin is there is dog shyte EVERYwhere, the second is people walk 3 or 4 abreast and won't move so you have to shoulder them or hop into the traffic (I wasn't in shoulder-barging mood). Came upon two Roma guys robbing a bike, I stopped and stared them out (like it was my bike), they considered running but then decided to just continue on, eyeballing me as they picked the lock and walked off with the bike. No point in getting involved, court system is a joke anyway, I continued on jogging (past two guards strolling; zero deterent to our hero's).

My heel was starting to pinch a little if I upped the pace, annoyed that is still happening. Slowed and walked a bit, that helped, no problems starting again. It could be the concrete, any time I ran on grass the pain went. Hopped in my car after 12k and drove on the nicest road in Dublin; the one leading out of it.

Fri 12.34km easy (5:34min/km pace)

I had my last maths exam in Dublin today. Its a sewer of a city... walked out from Stephen's Green to Griffith Ave., the sheer amount of junkies and beggars is astounding. Maybe it was the time of the morning, maybe it was methadone delivery day, but its a mess having to share the same space as people like that; loudly cursing, aggressively begging, shouting and fighting amongst each other inthaaasluuurrrredgguuuttteeeraaaallllunisentencemmaaaannnnnnn... a waste of brain power and potential.

Anyway, exam done, went well but not brilliant (70-80% I'd say rather than the 85% that would have ensured an overall first for the degree), on with the running gear and jog home with backpack. The first thing I remember about jogging in Dublin is there is dog shyte EVERYwhere, the second is people walk 3 or 4 abreast and won't move so you have to shoulder them or hop into the traffic (I wasn't in shoulder-barging mood). Came upon two Roma guys robbing a bike, I stopped and stared them out (like it was my bike), they considered running but then decided to just continue on, eyeballing me as they picked the lock and walked off with the bike. No point in getting involved, court system is a joke anyway, I continued on jogging (past two guards strolling; zero deterent to our hero's).

My heel was starting to pinch a little if I upped the pace, annoyed that is still happening. Slowed and walked a bit, that helped, no problems starting again. It could be the concrete, any time I ran on grass the pain went. Hopped in my car after 12k and drove on the nicest road in Dublin; the one leading out of it.

You're just pi$$ed off because you didn't get an entry to Dublin 70.30

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    You're just pi$$ed off because you didn't get an entry to Dublin 70.30

Industrial scale bike-thievery from Transition is my prediction.

If I had my way I'd chuck 'em all in the Liffey and let god sort 'em out. If you're begging or thieving or on subsidised junk you get chucked off O'Connell bridge. Those who emerge breathing at the Pigeon House get a second shot at life- maybe.

I need to become Taoiseach first though. A mathematician as our leader- what could go wrong?;)

If I had my way I'd chuck 'em all in the Liffey and let god sort 'em out. If you're begging or thieving or on subsidised junk you get chucked off O'Connell bridge. Those who emerge breathing at the Pigeon House get a second shot at life- maybe.

I need to become Taoiseach first though. A grumpy mathematician as our leader- what could go wrong?;)

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

. A mathematician as our leader- what could go wrong?;)

More like - what are the odds?

Fixed that for you

Well Dev was aloof and Fitzgerald was a bit maladroit, so I reckon grumpy would work. Put a bit of stick about.

I'll start negative campaigning soon. #@LeoYouBig70.3IronPussy, is that how its done?

AKW wrote: »
    More like - what are the odds?

IMO pretty good- I think Dev and Fitzgerald were our two greatest leaders. I know Dev is slated for kowtowing to the power of the church and granting them such a large say in the formation of our early state, but they were the de facto leaders anyway.

Garret was just brilliant, if he hadn't had to spar so much with gombeen FF'ers we might have become a more progressive state economically, sooner. I met him a couple of times and never knew what to say, I was dumbstruck in his presence. Best quote from him (said without irony); "It's all very well to see this system works in practice: but will it work in theory?" Love that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I need to become Taoiseach first though. A mathematician as our leader- what could go wrong?;)
    "Let them eat cakes" he said, just like Marie Antoinette ;)

Well Dev was aloof and Fitzgerald was a bit maladroit, so I reckon grumpy would work. Put a bit of stick about.

I'll start negative campaigning soon. #@LeoYouBig70.3IronPussy, is that how its done?

#HalfsAreGay ?

#HalfsAreGay ?

Now you've just interested all the Rainbow flag people, as well as the Event Brand box tickers. Ok that's a lot of voters but they are the most fickle demographic.

Some Minister for Propaganda you are!

Sun 67k bike

Nothing done yesterday, birthday party dad car duties and associated sleepover meant our house was an insane asylum so I'm happy to have just survived the day still alive.

Headed on a long spin this morning: 1 hour easy, 1 hour tempo, 20 mins threshold, 10 mins easy. Did this on the roadie, Garmin died half way. First hour was about 28kph good roads, second hour a bit faster on rougher roads, the 20mins was on very rough roads and pretty hilly. If I go by perceived effort then I'm happy enough I did the session.

Mon 38min run; Masters swim

Run:I ran 38 mins in low ramp NB Minimus this evening, 20mins easy, 5*(30s
    race pace, 30s easy), 13min easy. A slight heel pain towards the end,
    but nothing noticed while upping the pace for the 30s splits. (No
    garmin as its playing up). The low ramp felt a lot more comfortable
    and easy to run in. Sometimes I wonder if I'm imagining the pain, or
    if I'm somehow bringing it on through stress and worry. I know that
    doesn't make a lot of sense but I think if I switch off the brain and
    just run, it helps pace/form/pain. In any case I think the low-ramp shoes helped, I've been worried lately that heel issues are being caused by the higher ramp (now the original calf injury has settled).

Swim:
    200 free
    6x50 25k/25d/25s choice 15s rest
    10x25 free 15m Max/10m easy 15s rest
    5x200 free
    on 3:15 (hold 2:55)
    8x100 free pull buoy 20s rest
    200 choice swim down

I led for the first 200, in too fast 2:49. Jumped back for the second, just made 2:55. I was hurting on the third and bailed after 100m. Jumped in again for the last two (2:57, 3:00). I just didn't have a feel for the water tonight. The pb 100's were timely, as I could work a bit on my catch technique.

• Advertisement

Wed 750m swim (Bray aquathlon 1)

The whole family drove to Bray, for a great sunny evening's racing. Missy was up first, she had a decent swim, learned a bit about assertiveness and positioning at the start, moved through the field to reach the second bouy in second, but alas the chap in third skipped the bouy and headed straight for the beach so she exited the sea in 3rd place, and kept this for the run.

Young Master Godel was luckiest of us all, his swim wave got to go the first 100m against the current. The apple doesn't fall far... he revelled in this fight against the chop and soon cut a lead. Round the bouy and still swimming strong, he held his lead around the second bouy, and exited first, past a pleased-as-punch dad on the beach. He'll have to work on his trans skills though, as he put the feet up in T1 and was passed by a few. He managed to get back 2nd place by the end of his run, so happy all round.

I had a will I/won't I conversation, and decided against the run- with a more important race on Saturday I didn't want any damage from running hard up and down the concrete ramp. So I was very chilled out at the start of the swim. Went off hard and rounded the bouy in about third I think. Goggles got flooded then so I wasn't 100% sure of what was going on, but with no pressure I figured I'd keep going hard and try and sight with limited vision anyway. I still had a general sense of who was around me, and with a blurred Bray head as my sighting point I hit the middle blue bouy reasonably well. Stopped to clear the goggles, and off again. There was a lovely bit of chop which made things fun, and a tail current which made them fast. I was swimming well, saw only two or three ahead of me, and I continued the pace to exit on the feet of the guy who was second or third. Ran into T1 feeling great, had to force myself not to chance the run. Roll on Saturday.

Really enjoyed tonights swim, a big thank you to Wicklow Tri for putting on a great show once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

That's great that your little fella does it too ;)

Thurs 60min turbo; Masters swim

Turbo was an easy 155W in low cadence, while spinning through the gears to check on some rear derailleur adjustments. Bit of a sweatfest too, pretty warm and humid today.

Swim:
    400m warm up
    10*50 as (25fly, 25swim, 10s)
    4*100pb off 1:45
    45sec rest
    4*100swim off 1:45
    45sec rest
    45sec rest
    4*100swim off 1:45
    45sec rest
    200m warm down

This was good, a very empty pool meant I had coach on one side of me, K on the other, so it was more like a race situation, than following a 5 sec gap. This meant I could watch their stroke, and also learn what I could do to pull ahead, and what worked and what didn't in that respect. A great lesson.

I focussed on form, in particular glide and full stroke. Learned a lot, especially about streamline. The first two sets were all in 1:25-1:30, the next two in 1:30-1:35, the last in 1:33-1:38. A useful hour in the pool, without killing myself before Saturday's race.

Sat Hook or by Crook Sprint 1:13 77th place

Early start and drove down with a teammate to HOBC, my third time doing this race. Its in a great part of the world, well-organised, and would give an opportunity to try out the run for any calf/achilles problems. I went in the second wave, M40+ and relays.

Swim: 11:02
    Flat cold water, easy sighting; there would be no advantage to a sea swimmer today. I determined to go out hard and fight for a good place. We ran in from the gun, there was the usual scramble of legs and bodies fighting for position, and I held my ground to move past the crowd. A glance up saw I was in third, tried to hold the legs ahead but they were a bit too fast. Around the first bouy, saw the leader had shot ahead, and second had made some ground on me. Nothing for it but to keep working. I think we had a flow as the second bouy came soon, then head for the third. This was a little harder work, and I imagined swimming with the Masters group, which helped maintain the pace. Round the last bouy, oops something hit my toes, so I was pulling at least one behind me. He tried to get round, no f***ing way am I letting this happen so I kicked for the beach and made ground on him. Exited in third, delighted with a well-executed swim.

T1: 3:19
    This time includes the long run up from the beach, where I was trying frantically to get my swimsuit zipper out. It wouldn't budge, I had to find a marshall in trans to unzip the bast*rd. Thats the second time thats happened, its a design flaw in these "zip down" suits as far as I'm concerned. Lost a good deal of places because of it.

Bike 36:52
    Garmin gives an average speed of 33.1kph for the 20k. I was passed by a good few straight out of trans- hard to know who was in Wave 1 or 2 at this stage. Last year I saw a load of drafting, this year less so but still plenty of it, enough to make this part of the "race" a bit of a joke. People who do it know when they are doing it. I was passed by a group of three sitting on each others wheels, they passed and stayed as a tight group. Cycled alongside and asked the guy in third if he knew the drafting rules? Yes, he said, in that case you're a cheating bast*rd, I said. He wasn't too happy with that and starting gesturing in anger at me, but did stop drafting.
    Just before the halfway my rear derailleur slipped to the smallest cog, and there it stayed for the remainder of the race. It wasn't a huge issue as the route was mainly flat, but not something you want in a race, and I knew I couldn't bike up the final steep hill. I had to dismount and run up, passed by a load as I did. That was the most annoying part of the race.

T2 1:10
    No issues, the NB minimus shoes went on very quickly with lock laces and talc, so I'll use them from here on.

Run 20:48
    To be honest this trip to HOBC was about two things, the first being a hard swim, the second (more important) seeing how my legs would hold up on a tough up/down run. I started slowish but couldn't go much faster, it was a steep hill from the start. Garmin had the first two kms at 4:56 each, which was good considering the gradient. Coasted along the flat top section (4:10), and ran with a long stride down to the finish (3:58, and 3:33pace for the final 750m). There were a large group moving at the same pace, I was feeling tired but no other issues, so I sprinted for the final 100m to take a few spots, always nice to end on that note.

Overall:
    Very happy with the swim, content with the bike, more than content with the run. Not happy with my overall place, but there's a couple of minutes worth of mech and gear issues there that might be worth a lot of places. However, all that matter in races is what is, not what might have been, so I will need to tighten up that aspect.

PS:
    The drafting guy made himself known to me after the race, he didn't like being called a cheating bast*rd, I apologised for the profanity but said the sentiment was the same, and he more or less agreed. He's been in Tri a lot longer than I, and knows the score. As does anyone who sucks wheels at any time- they are in a different race than those who don't. I think he'll be more careful to drop back in future, I respected that he approached me after to discuss it, done and dusted.

PPS: Waterford Tri yet again but on one of the best races of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done Kurt, glad you finally got a full swim!! ;) You should go to the swims I do, Skerries today was tough! I'd say worse than Camlough last week.
    He tried to get round, no f***ing way am I letting this happen so I kicked for the beach and made ground on him

Curious about this Kurt, how much time you reckon you made on him and what sort of effect did it have on your heart rate? Know your heart rate be climbing anyway during that run to transition. Curious because I've been in this situation and let the person pass and grabbed their toes, might lose few seconds over 150/200m but get out feeling fresher and this leads into the rest of the race.

joey100 wrote: »
    Well done Kurt, glad you finally got a full swim!! ;) You should go to the swims I do, Skerries today was tough! I'd say worse than Camlough last week.

Curious about this Kurt, how much time you reckon you made on him and what sort of effect did it have on your heart rate? Know your heart rate be climbing anyway during that run to transition. Curious because I've been in this situation and let the person pass and grabbed their toes, might lose few seconds over 150/200m but get out feeling fresher and this leads into the rest of the race.

I'd say I gained an extra 5 secs towards the end, he stopped his challenge as I made ground, and so gave up his attempt. My heart rate went up but not by much I'd imagine; it wasn't a sprint effort rather a concentration on form.

But I take your point- I looked it up and he beat me where it mattered.

However- to explain properly... I had set out to do a hard swim, to push harder than usual. Coming out of the water in 3rd was better than anticipated. Now you're racing. I used do hill running- tough hard slog for everyone to the summit, then back down. The lad that would win the battle 95% of the time was the lad who hit the summit before his chaser, and didn't slack the pace. Today I was let down by a wetsuit zipper getting stuck; but if I was ever in the same position again I would race to get out of the water before a chaser, because if you're in 3rd position you are racing and you don't want to lose third.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hmm. pretty sure i posted a message here last night, but now no sign. a hiccup in the interweb.

anyway, the gist of it was well done on the swim Kurt, but even more positive is another run with no ill effects. bodes well

mossym wrote: »
    hmm. pretty sure i posted a message here last night, but now no sign. a hiccup in the interweb.

anyway, the gist of it was well done on the swim Kurt, but even more positive is another run with no ill effects. bodes well

Cheers Mossy, the run is the best thing to take from the race, I am delighted that there were no ill effects, and delighted that it was a move to low ramp shoes that corrected the long-running problem. I think there was an initial tear/rupture/stress on the achilles last Feb, and although a higher ramp shoe might have been needed to protect the ankle at first, that shoe has been causing issues lately. Much happier running in the NB Minimus, and I have more flexibility in the area today than I have had in months. For the first time in a long time, if I rub or squeeze the achilles, I can say there is absolutely no pain. Really happy about that as it means I can start looking for another couple of minutes off a 5k run.

Sun 2:05 easy turbo, 154W av

Easy spin on the turbo (I wanted to see what the gearing issue was). It was the shifter coming loose; obviously when I had played around with the derailleur cable a few days back I had allowed the shifter to loosen and that loosened too far in the race. Should be ok now, but I'm going the get the bike looked at soon enough. Legs and body feel good after yesterdays race. As noted above I am delighted with the response to the run.

Weight is down to 86.6kg, 22.2%BF. I have just under four weeks to Geneva, time to get that under <85kg and <20%BF. Running should help in that department, and abstinence wouldn't go amiss either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Good to see drafters being called out. No excuses for cheating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement