Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP- Garda vetting for UK job. Irish police system mess!

• 03-04-2015 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

I am super stressed about this and could really appreciate your help.

I have been hired as a tour guide that goes around Europe with children over the summer. The company is based in the UK and require vetting/clearance.

So I can't apply for Garda Vetting as this company is not registered for that.
    The Police cert of character is only available for countries outside of EU.
    And the Garda Disclousre of info cert is not able to be used as vetting?

What on earth do I do?!

I went into several Garda stations and they all told me different things.

One said to pretend I am going to Australia and get a police cert?

One said to use vetting from another organisation. I have tried this but they said they cannot give the vetted forms out as they must be destroyed in accordance with law.

I've applied for the data Disclousre because it's worth a shot!

This job means a lot to me and I am getting very upset. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Contact the vetting unit in Tipp.

Garda Central Vetting Unit/Garda Criminal Records Office
    Racecourse Road
    Thurles
    Co. Tipperary

Tel: Lo-Call 1890 488 488 or Tel:+353 504 27300

You'll probably have to wait until Tuesday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Hey everyone!

One said to pretend I am going to Australia and get a police cert?

This! I had to do it and it's the easiest option...talk about adding needless stress. I was offered a job, accepted, handed in my notice in Ireland. Only needed the police cert, which I couldn't get as I was moving inside the EU. I spent hours talking on the phone to different places (local garda station and I think Templemore or somewhere where the vetting office is based).

In the end I just told them I was going to Australia. Got a police cert addressed to the high commissioner or some sh1t in Oz. New employer thought it was strange, but accepted it as it was current.

The worst thing is that there were other Irish working where I was moving to. None had the same problems, so it really does depend on the station and who you're dealing with.

Anyway, just lie to them. You shouldn't have to but it's better than the stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Can't you get a police certificate of character not addressed to anyone? I got one a few years ago in order to get an airside pass for use in Heathrow while working there.

It stated on the cert that it wasn't to be used for employment applications but Heathrow were happy with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    It stated on the cert that it wasn't to be used for employment applications but Heathrow were happy with it!
    Rather disconcerting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can write you a note if you like?
    "Here is to certify that "outnumbered" is totally safe around kids (as far as I know)."

PM the check of fiddy euro please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

biko wrote: »
    I can write you a note if you like?
    "Here is to certify that "outnumbered" is totally safe around kids (as far as I know)."

PM the check of fiddy euro please.

Expensive. I only charge €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Have a look at the UKs Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).

A DBS check is needed if you are working with children in the UK. Not sure if you can apply for it if you aren't living in the UK though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Have a look at the UKs Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).

A DBS check is needed if you are working with children in the UK. Not sure if you can apply for it if you aren't living in the UK though

Advertisement