Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Traffic

Options
  • 03-04-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else think it's gotten a lot worse the last year in particular? The old Dublin road roundabout and ring road in general are dire at rush hour/6pm in particular. I know it's nothing like Dublin but still...took me 15 mins to get from Johns green to Loughboy the other eve at that time. Usually about 5 mins. Are all employees from VHI, State street, business parks etc all coming out at the same time?
    Also Greensbridge etc in a constant state of congestion.
    Ring road seems to be back to levels pre-M9 which would have taken lots of through traffic off the N10 at that time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Try going to Waterford.

Rice Bridge is a nightmare during rush-hour.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

See that the thing, traffic problems are never sorted. When we continue to build bigger and better roads that can take larger amounts of traffic the long term effect is that the traffic volumes will grow over a number of years until that capacity is either met or exceeded. Dublins m50 and also the jUnction around Naas coming back to Kilkenny. All regularly come to a standstill during rush hours.

Overall the construction of roads cannot continue at its current pace. It a flawed system. Smarter travel policies need to be looked at. Smarter travel policies may not sort all our traffic problems but it has some great benefits, less congestion, less pollution and a healthier population.

Kilkenny smarter travel implemented by the council is a joke. Yes we got bicycle lanes of the ring roads but we have feck all in the city centre. This is where smarter travel policies can really work.

The Cas project will have long term negative effects on Kilkenny. The traffic will build and build until this new bridge is at capacity. It could take 10 years. It could take 30 but this city policies is grinding to a hault with a plan for more and more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think everyone finishes work at the same time pretty much coming out of all the estate.
    If you finish at about 5:45 on the dublin road the traffic tends to be fine.
    The difference the schools being off is massive. You really would have to ask to all these children need to be dropped off to school. could they not walk or cycle.

When the CAS is built you would hope that they would review a one way system in kilkenny that works. at the minute i am ont sure it possible but you would hope that a some circular motin of incorporating rose inn street high street parlimant street dean street new road up along the river which meet the mark yard road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The difference the schools being off is massive. You really would have to ask to all these children need to be dropped off to school. could they not walk or cycle.

Driven by Loreto/St Canices, Freshford road one glorious day there recently and said the exact same to myself. Both sides of the road blocked with idiot parents, ironically blocking the so-called "cycle lanes". I doubt all of these lived so far away they couldn't walk or cycle on such a good day?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

road_high wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's gotten a lot worse the last year in particular? The old Dublin road roundabout and ring road in general are dire at rush hour/6pm in particular. I know it's nothing like Dublin but still...took me 15 mins to get from Johns green to Loughboy the other eve at that time. Usually about 5 mins. Are all employees from VHI, State street, business parks etc all coming out at the same time?
    Also Greensbridge etc in a constant state of congestion.
    Ring road seems to be back to levels pre-M9 which would have taken lots of through traffic off the N10 at that time.

It's often took me 15 minutes to get from State Street to The Watershed at 5.30! Absolute nightmare but at the same time isn't great that so many people are being employed in KK by the likes of SS, Taxback, VHI, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's often took me 15 minutes to get from State Street to The Watershed at 5.30! Absolute nightmare but at the same time isn't great that so many people are being employed in KK by the likes of SS, Taxback, VHI, etc...

Yea seen that a few times, awful tailbacks out of there to ring road. Maybe the companies could look at more staggered times for ending shifts, but I guess that won't suit everyone etc. Kilkenny is doing well but needs new infrastructure and transport management to keep pace.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It's the same everywhere, unless sustainable travel is looked at we will continue to have traffic issues. This is not only in Kilkenny but everywhere else. I work in Sandyford now and I refuse to leave the office between the hours 4.45 and 7pm. The M50 upgrade is now complete a few years and the place is a hell hole.

Oh, look, it's 7pm. I'm outta here.

Advertisement