Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've read that Twitter back and forth. Bang of "Goldberg refused to follow the script" from Ronda's tweets, calling the mugshots and Becky's finisher fake and talking about scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

It's all a work guys. But an effective one.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

it's an effective work but I wonder how much wwe have told them can and cannot say in terms of content. I see the becky mugshot pic is now available on wwe.com... they really don't faff about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TimesArrow wrote: »
    it's an effective work but I wonder how much wwe have told them can and cannot say in terms of content. I see the becky mugshot pic is now available on wwe.com... they really don't faff about

It's on wweshop.com too, already on a t shirt

https://shop.wwe.com/becky-lynch-mugshot-t-shirt/2389056F9D.html?dwvar_2389056F9D_color=black#start=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean I think it's a given that Becky is going to be in the raw women's title match. My only slight worry is how the get Becky back into the match in a way that makes it right. I mean we all still want to suspend our disbelief watching this stuff but I'm afraid they'll do it in a way that's cheap which wouldn't help an angle for the most part that's been done very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Monokne wrote: »
    It's all a work guys. But an effective one.

It's a load of absolute bollox is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I dunno that twitter thread is gold

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

And now Tommy Wiseau has gotten involved in the Becky/Ronda back and forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And now Tommy Wiseau has gotten involved in the Becky/Ronda back and forth.

Oh hi marks!

martyos121 wrote: »
    Oh hi marks!

I never thought I'd see a day where Tommy Wiseau of all people would get involved indirectly in a wrestling story line, but here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I never thought I'd see a day where Tommy Wiseau of all people would get involved indirectly in a wrestling story line, but here we are.

The wrestling world is an ideal one for Wiseau to exist in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

And what's even weirder is that he's a better actor than both of the women involved.

sirmanga wrote: »
    And what's even weirder is that he's a better actor than both of the women involved.

Well yeah because he wasn't creatively strangled when it came to The Room, imagine being left to your own devices creatively, and waiting for the results be they good or bad, instead of being told what you have to do. Whereas if he were dealing with Vince and his ever constant flip flopping on a weekly basis, he'd probably be torn apart.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's a load of absolute bollox is what it is.

Who pissed in your cornflakes ? You don't like it fair enough but at least on Beckys she's doing a good job.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Who pissed in your cornflakes ? You don't like it fair enough but at least on Beckys she's doing a good job.

Who pissed in my cornflakes? I have a different opinion than you and you come out with that? Ok. Not odd at all. No wonder some Becky Lynch fans get such a bad rep!

When it gets to stuff like name dropping real names, mentioning scripts and calling moves fake looking, you're into territory of late 2000s WCW. It's stupid. It's Russo stuff. There's the two of them in it and it's getting worse and worse. They need to put the phones down a little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Who can ever forget the Twitter wars of WCW in 2000...

leggo wrote: »
    Who can ever forget the Twitter wars of WCW in 2000...

Jesus can you imagine? Russo would've been in his element with Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And not a peep out of Charlotte. Love Becky's twitter "Ronnies Shook, Vince is Shook. Charlotte is a dope. and Shook." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Why is the Ronda/Becky storyline more interesting on Twitter than on TV (apart from the "fake" and "script" nonsense)?

Why can't WWE come up with some good promos like this instead of having Becky hobble in from the crowd again and again?

If you ask me, WWE should have gone the Cena/Michaels route from 07 and had Becky and Ronda win the tag titles in the lead up to their one on one match at Mania. Instead we have this convoluted nonsense that they are giving us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Honestly find most wrestlers on Twitter to be flat out embarrassing & would be in any era. Lynch & Rousey went from being a big match to me to then involving the McMahons & Charlotte which honestly diminished moat of my interest for me.
    Sick of seeing Stephanie, Vince looking every hour of 75 & Charlotte cutting weak promos while trying to act.
    They didn't need Lynch & Rousey feuding for the 3 months before Mania either. Seperate brands makes that easier to happen & they could interact on the PPV's in between. Neither have enough fresh material as shown on Twitter.

Anyway this is a news thread so here is rather bad news unfortunately

https://twitter.com/Matmenpodcast/status/1101316278545981440?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loved Howards way of introducing people. "Ber-et..... hitMAAAAAAAAAAAAN......Hort".

I met him once. Nice fella.

Who pissed in my cornflakes? I have a different opinion than you and you come out with that? Ok. Not odd at all. No wonder some Becky Lynch fans get such a bad rep!

When it gets to stuff like name dropping real names, mentioning scripts and calling moves fake looking, you're into territory of late 2000s WCW. It's stupid. It's Russo stuff. There's the two of them in it and it's getting worse and worse. They need to put the phones down a little bit more.

So why couldn't you have posted the second part of this post which are all valid criticisms you have ? I'd actually agree with most of the points you made in the second part of this post. Your original post just seem overalls angry for no reason.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Why is the Ronda/Becky storyline more interesting on Twitter than on TV (apart from the "fake" and "script" nonsense)?

Why can't WWE come up with some good promos like this instead of having Becky hobble in from the crowd again and again?

If you ask me, WWE should have gone the Cena/Michaels route from 07 and had Becky and Ronda win the tag titles in the lead up to their one on one match at Mania. Instead we have this convoluted nonsense that they are giving us.

It's connecting huge with the audience. You're in the minority. But you never like almost anything to be fair ;)

So why couldn't you have posted the second part of this post which are all valid criticisms you have ? I'd actually agree with most of the points you made in the second part of this post. Your original post just seem overalls angry for no reason.

I'll post how I want to post if that's ok wth you. Had muesli this morning by the way, urine-free.

The Nal wrote: »
    Loved Howards way of introducing people. "Ber-et..... hitMAAAAAAAAAAAAN......Hort".

I always loved "The winner.... and NEWWWWWW World Wrestling Federatio Champion...."

https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-superstar-pay-brock-lesnar/

The reported salaries for WWE male and female superstars as of mid 2018. There are some baffling numbers for some average talent. I'm assuming these numbers if true are the downside guarantee numbers meaning if they did nothing else they'd get this money but merch probably bumps up the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If those numbers true which I doubt the women are seriously underpaid along with usos and new day. 900k for jinder is why I’m not putting faith in that

I always loved "The winner.... and NEWWWWWW World Wrestling Federatio Champion...."

I'd say being a wrestler and hearing him say that about you must have been some rush.

The reported salaries for WWE male and female superstars as of mid 2018. There are some baffling numbers for some average talent. I'm assuming these numbers if true are the downside guarantee numbers meaning if they did nothing else they'd get this money but merch probably bumps up the numbers.

Considering 411 are quoting The Mirror who also say "they are flown on first class flights, stay in five-star hotels and use luxury rental cars - often at the expense of the company" which we know ain't true so I'd take it all with a pinch of salt

If they're true, I'm surprised Braun and Nakamura are on salaries less than Harper and Rowan among others, it's not being there long term because The Usos are there longer and bottom of the males

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If they're true, I'm surprised Braun and Nakamura are on salaries less than Harper and Rowan among others, it's not being there long term because The Usos are there longer and bottom of the males

Would it not be down to when their last contract was negotiated? I can see Braun coming in fairly green and getting a small amount and maybe hasn't negotiated one since.

Nakamura was big in Japan but relatively unknown to the main WWE audience which might explain that.

All that being said in comparison to other forms of entertainment none of them are paid massive money really tbf

Necro wrote: »
    Would it not be down to when their last contract was negotiated? I can see Braun coming in fairly green and getting a small amount and maybe hasn't negotiated one since.

Nakamura was big in Japan but relatively unknown to the main WWE audience which might explain that.

All that being said in comparison to other forms of entertainment none of them are paid massive money really tbf

That makes sense for Braun, just seemed to stick out like a sort thumb in the lower figures

Money must be very poor in Japan for the bigger guys if he moved for that number, I'd have thought he'd be a 7 figure guy at the very least

AEW will hopefully see guys earning more across the board

I seriously doubt there's anyone who takes those salaries as legit for more than 30 seconds, but if they did, once they get down to Ronda Rousey and see the biggest star in the company earning that sum, they'd probably burst out laughing.

Meltzer and Johnson have both dismissed this list, by the way. According to them, and as you'd expect, the top 3 highest paid talent are Lesnar, Rousey & Reigns in that order. Cena is probably only clearing a couple mill now between working so few shows and selling so much less merch.

I've just read further through it. The Nakamura and Jinder salaries!!! HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Erik Rowan wishes he was on basically twice of what Strowman is

Monokne wrote: »
    I've just read further through it. The Nakamura and Jinder salaries!!! HAHA

I'll admit the Jinder salary gave me a genuine LOL moment alright. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's a good living tbh I knw there's injuries/travel/tough schedule but it's about 20 mins work 4/5 times a week but heck who am I too comment on it as I've never and will never do that sort of thing for a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's a good living tbh I knw there's injuries/travel/tough schedule but it's about 20 mins work 4/5 times a week but heck who am I too comment on it as I've never and will never do that sort of thing for a living

Ya they don’t train or anything they just walk out to the ring in that condition! And it’s not 4/5 times a week... it’s around 300 times a year across every continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Lol I dunno about that. I make more than some of those female wrestlers and have a corporate office job that also comes with free travel. I know what I'd rather do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Lol I dunno about that. I make more than some of those female wrestlers and have a corporate office job that also comes with free travel. I know what I'd rather do!

Cant really compare it though. Most wrestlers are doing what they love doing, not everyone wants to work in an office. Plus Im sure you worked hard to get where you are now you didnt just walk into it out of college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Kolido wrote: »
    Cant really compare it though. Most wrestlers are doing what they love doing, not everyone wants to work in an office. Plus Im sure you worked hard to get where you are now you didnt just walk into it out of college.

True, it takes a lot of hard work to get where you want to be in life and I absolutely love my job, though it's nothing like I ever imagined I'd be doing. I have a band that I do tours with also as a side gig and of course it would be great to do that full time, but offers nowhere near the financial security.

If you look at Nia Jax there or even the head of the WWE studios and assume those figures are accurate, that's really not a good living with travel expenses and wear and tear on the body on top of that in Nia's case. I'm not sure how much studio heads generally get but 70k seems on the low side for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The training they do alone is like a full time job. These guys are getting up at crazy hours to train and then travel to the next venue.

And that’s not including public appearances.

It’s a serious grind far from 20 mins work only 4/5 times a week.

Loughc wrote: »
    The training they do alone is like a full time job. These guys are getting up at crazy hours to train and then travel to the next venue.

And that’s not including public appearances.

It’s a serious grind far from 20 mins work only 4/5 times a week.

It's like any job really, when you don't know the full details then it can be made sound cushy

Sure teachers only work 6 hours a day and get 3 months off, office workers are sitting around drinking tea all day etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ThePott

They are incredibly underpaid for what they do.
    Also you can't understate the travel they have to do. Just a quick story that I think can give some insight;

Last August I was going from Florida to New York for Summerslam. I had a layover that got into Charlotte, NC at like 7am.
    Needed to kill some time so I walked around the airport for a bit. As I was walking around I saw hair I thought I recognised and as it turned out it was Becky Lynch (don't worry I didn't bother her, I know the whole wrestling fans at airports thing all too well so I just left her and any other wrestlers I saw be), the reason I bring it up is this.

It was the night after Smackdown which was in Greenville, South Carolina. So Smackdown goes off the air at 10 in the US. It can be a about a 2 hour drive from Greenville to Charlotte where the airport was from my understanding. She had a her make-up done too which takes even more time again. My point being that there's not a lot of downtime in between getting from one location to the next and that was just something I observed randomly.

There's times where they have to drive to the next town, do house shows, promotional appearances, training among other things. I'm sure a times it's even more hectic. They do this for the vast majority of the year, time away from home and family. It's far from a cushy job they should get far more money for what they do putting aside lots of other factors. There's no off-season in wrestling either. I hope that if one good things comes out of AEW it will be WWE starting to pay their talent a bit better.

It's absolutely mental the schedule the full time guys do. No job on the planet makes their workers do as much I'd harbour a guess as the WWE.

Honestly think that everyone would benefit from a seasonal type of schedule with a month's downtime maybe round Thanksgiving through Christmas, and another break in the summer months of a similar length.

Would recharge batteries of everyone involved, creative, the roster etc.

Obviously it'll never ever happen but I'd have no issues if they let them have a break for a few weeks twice a year.

If you follow wrestlers on social media it's insane the amount of time they spend in airports, hotel rooms and then arenas. This is my guess that being on the road is probably more mentally draining then it is physically. It's good that WWE doesn't seem to run House shows the weekend after mania and it shows as everyone seems to go to the warmest sunniest place they can. I'd say having a family and being a wrestler must be very hard. It doesn't seem like a good profession to build relationships with family as they're never home.

If you follow wrestlers on social media it's insane the amount of time they spend in airports, hotel rooms and then arenas. This is my guess that being on the road is probably more mentally draining then it is physically. It's good that WWE doesn't seem to run House shows the weekend after mania and it shows as everyone seems to go to the warmest sunniest place they can. I'd say having a family and being a wrestler must be very hard. It doesn't seem like a good profession to build relationships with family as they're never home.

Probably also why loads of them end up hooking up together or marrying another wrestler they spend so much time in the same places. Social lives would revolve around each other as well.

Wasn't Rousey supposed to be shocked about the schedule when she started fulltime initially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It must be bad for ones who have to do all the travelling and never get on tv. I know they're there for appearances and all that but it must really not be worth it. Also by not getting any tv time, they don't get the chance to get over which means less merch sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Don't mind Fox, but I'd shed no tears if she was binned for showing up to work drunk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement