Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think beginning wrestling at 13 has more to with her career-ending injuries than the WWE schedule. I imagine wrestling and taking bumps throughout your entire teens when you're still growing will take a toll and it did for Paige.

Dude, your WWE hate is reaching parody levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think beginning wrestling at 13 has more to with her career-ending injuries than the WWE schedule. I imagine wrestling and taking bumps throughout your entire teens when you're still growing will take a toll and it did for Paige.

It's not even that funny at this point.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The WWE schedule didn't cost her her career actually. She had a neck issue which meant she was on borrowed time regarding her in ring career and if it didn't happen when it did it was going to happen at some point down the road. She was on edge time and she never broke her neck like edge did.

The full story of what ? It's mostly out there what happened during that time period so what exactly can she say that is going to embarrass the WWE exactly ? Do you know something we don't know ?

Yeah, i'm sure 200+ dates a year wrestling with barely trained underwear models/reality show stars was really good for her health.

She could make a much bigger deal of how her rampant drug abuse was pretty much ignored by the company at the time because she was a draw. They'd also have egg on their face for continuing to employ the guy who beat the **** out of her on multiple occasions if she decided to go public with it.

They got away with it because they were dealing with midcarders with very little exposure outside of wrestling at the time but if it came out now it would be catastrophic for the WWE because the general public are starting to realise how dodgy the company is.
    Starting to realise ? There's always been a level of knowledge that WWE hasn't been sunshine and rainbows. WWE along with every other wrestling promotion in history has had some unbelievably dodgy stuff happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The fact that people still support this garbage fire of a company is sickening.

A **** product with garbage business practices that treats it's "independent contractors" like dirt and you still have people who are excited for Reigns vs. Shane Mc Mahon #24 followed by Mark Calaway shambling around the ring like an Alzheimers patient embarrassing himself.

A company that has performers post about the Pride movement on Twitter/Insta whilst putting on shows for a fundamentalist regime that murders gay people/journalists/whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It’s so weird, mental and telling how you claim to care about those big issues, yet the first specific example you give of your issues with them is Reigns vs Shane McMahon. Like that came up before you ranted about how Vince is complicit in murdering gay people. That’s mad that, if that’s what you actually believe, the Reigns/Shane feud still takes priority in your brain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

A **** product with garbage business practices that treats it's "independent contractors" like dirt and you still have people who are excited for Reigns vs. Shane Mc Mahon #24 followed by Mark Calaway shambling around the ring like an Alzheimers patient embarrassing himself.

A company that has performers post about the Pride movement on Twitter/Insta whilst putting on shows for a fundamentalist regime that murders gay people/journalists/whoever.

Outrageous post, utter nonsense.

Nobody is excited for Roman Reigns vs Shane.

leggo wrote: »
    It’s so weird, mental and telling how you claim to care about those big issues, yet the first specific example you give of your issues with them is Reigns vs Shane McMahon. Like that came up before you ranted about how Vince is complicit in murdering gay people. That’s mad that, if that’s what you actually believe, the Reigns/Shane feud still takes priority in your brain.

It's an indicator of how messed up WWE is that i basically didn't know where to start.

Even if you take the two guys i mentioned then one of them had his cancer diagnosis paraded in public to try to get him over after half a decade of choruses of boos (they even wanted Moxley to make fun of it to get over as a heel but he refused because he's an actual human being) and the other guy is the son of the guy who runs this whole ****show who came back with his tail between his legs when some nebulous MMA promotion thing didn't work out ofr him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

If something causes you so much anger and vitriol, just let it go. Move on. You obviously keep up with the product somehow. Why? You would probably be much happier if you weren't getting so worked up on a forum every single day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Adiboo wrote: »
    If something causes you so much anger and vitriol, just let it go. Move on. You obviously keep up with the product somehow. Why? You would probably be much happier if you weren't getting so worked up on a forum every single day.

Yeah but then one couldn't sing the praises of other companies for their, as yet unproven, morals and wonderful treatment of the inevitable injuries caused by having carte blanche to take silly risks in nothing matches.

Adiboo wrote: »

This is what I don’t understand. In 2010, I could get hating on WWE, they were essentially the only game in town since Impact was laughable at times and we’d yet to have the indie revolution. Now there’s SO much out there that keeping up with a product you don’t like is like listening to albums and going to gigs for a band you don’t like just to slate them.

G1 is starting this week, AEW are going to have a 2-hour TV show starting this autumn, there’s more British and Irish wrestling easily available than you could ever wish, even if you didn’t watch a second of WWE TV it’d be difficult to keep up with everything. Watching it for the sake of getting fodder to be angry at on boards is the increasingly mental stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

This is what I don’t understand. In 2010, I could get hating on WWE, they were essentially the only game in town since Impact was laughable at times and we’d yet to have the indie revolution. Now there’s SO much out there that keeping up with a product you don’t like is like listening to albums and going to gigs for a band you don’t like just to slate them.

G1 is starting this week, AEW are going to have a 2-hour TV show starting this autumn, there’s more British and Irish wrestling easily available than you could ever wish, even if you didn’t watch a second of WWE TV it’d be difficult to keep up with everything. Watching it for the sake of getting fodder to be angry at on boards is the increasingly mental stance.

so many fans these days spend more time and energy hating on wwe than supporting the companies that say is great. ill never get this.

if you think wwe is such a deplorable company why waste your life criticizing it just move on support stuff you like

It's probably because people grew up watching it and have watched all their lives and are just frustrated at how awful it has become. Just hoping for it to get better.

It's probably because people grew up watching it and have watched all their lives and are just frustrated at how awful it has become. Just hoping for it to get better.

i get that the frustration and wanting it to be better hell im like that at football at the minute cant watch or see united on tv without anger coming over me

i was more referring to when people are say the company itself is deplorable with saudi deal and whatnot product itslef deserves most of the criticism it gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why can't people do both.

Criticize the WWE for what it has become since it is something we have all grown up watching and watch other promotions and enjoy what they put on compared to the crap the WWE does at this time to entertain Vince and not the wrestling fan.

I thought The Wrestlers series finished last week but Vice dropped two today and there is a final two episodes to come.

I watched the first one and it was Voodoo wrestling in the Congo and man that was amazing batsh1t crazy brillant.

Just about to watch the other one now about Drag wrestlers in Mexico.

Edit: turns out it was also about Trans & Gay wrestlers not just Drag and another fantastic episode.

What a fantastic documentary series this has turned out to be looking forward to the final episodes next week.

I thought The Wrestlers series finished last week but Vice dropped two today.

I watched the first one and it was Voodoo wrestling in the Congo and man that was amazing batsh1t crazy brillant.

Just about to watch the final one now about Drag wrestlers in Mexico.

Edit: turns out it was also about Trans & Gay wrestlers not just Drag and another fantastic episode.

What a fantastic documentary series this has turned out to be,

are they on vices youtube??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Why comment so much on something you hate. Why keep watching it and involving yourself in it. Life’s too short man, go and enjoy life instead of posing nonstop hate.

Here’s a spoiler for you. WWE is sh’t and no one cares.

Loughc wrote: »
    Why comment so much on something you hate. Why keep watching it and involving yourself in it. Life’s too short man, go and enjoy life instead of posing nonstop hate.

Here’s a spoiler for you. WWE is sh’t and no one cares.

Vince could've played a Disney villain with that voice.

I see it differently: WWE is the same kids TV show it always has been and we just happen to not have outgrown wanting to watch wrestling. I watch a lot of the 1999 stuff back on the Network because it’s 20 years ago now and, the thing is, it’s not THAT different to today’s stuff. And it’s not noticeably better either. The crowd being more into it, as well as Raw being shorter and more easily digestible, are the only major differences. But, on the flip side to that, the in-ring stuff today is a different league to back then. There’s just as much ****e that doesn’t make sense, just as much fun stuff that is enjoyable, it’s essentially the same show except moderately updated for 2019. They’ve still got authority figures, faces overcoming the odds, all the usual tropes they used to when we loved it...some people just don’t love that stuff now and want new stuff. I watch it and enjoy what I can out of it, while accepting that it is what it’s always been and some stuff won’t work for me now, but also accepting that that doesn’t mean it’s fundamentally broken either. I’ve just seen it all before, some 8yo kid hasn’t and it’s probably blowing their mind.

So the difference is that we’ve grown up and our tastes have changed, but I think people who lash out expect them to have grown with us and had the product evolve to their specific tastes. But that’s not how any TV show really works. You outgrow it? You watch something else. And now there’s LOADS of stuff out there specifically catering to that jaded, disaffected adult market in the middle. Like I said, I’d get it a bit more if it was 2010 and that wasn’t the case.

It’s kinda like breaking up with someone because you’ve grown apart but, instead of moving on to this great new person who is interested in you and letting your ex just do their own thing, being bitter and frustrated that they didn’t change when you wanted them to. Move on.

I see it differently: WWE is the same kids TV show it always has been and we just happen to not have outgrown wanting to watch wrestling. I watch a lot of the 1999 stuff back on the Network because it’s 20 years ago now and, the thing is, it’s not THAT different to today’s stuff. And it’s not noticeably better either. The crowd being more into it, as well as Raw being shorter and more easily digestible, are the only major differences. But, on the flip side to that, the in-ring stuff today is a different league to back then. There’s just as much ****e that doesn’t make sense, just as much fun stuff that is enjoyable, it’s essentially the same show except moderately updated for 2019. They’ve still got authority figures, faces overcoming the odds, all the usual tropes they used to when we loved it...some people just don’t love that stuff now and want new stuff. I watch it and enjoy what I can out of it, while accepting that it is what it’s always been and some stuff won’t work for me now, but also accepting that that doesn’t mean it’s fundamentally broken either. I’ve just seen it all before, some 8yo kid hasn’t and it’s probably blowing their mind.

So the difference is that we’ve grown up and our tastes have changed, but I think people who lash out expect them to have grown with us and had the product evolve to their specific tastes. But that’s not how any TV show really works. You outgrow it? You watch something else. And now there’s LOADS of stuff out there specifically catering to that jaded, disaffected adult market in the middle. Like I said, I’d get it a bit more if it was 2010 and that wasn’t the case.

It’s kinda like breaking up with someone because you’ve grown apart but, instead of moving on to this great new person who is interested in you and letting your ex just do their own thing, being bitter and frustrated that they didn’t change when you wanted them to. Move on.
    I think it's a bit of both. People make a similar argument with The Simpsons but it's wrong because it was a great show and now is nothing.

Even just the fact that the crowd were more into it is important for 2 reasons. Firstly they had a reason to be because of what was in front of them which in and of itself suggests the product was "better" then. It was dynamic and interesting and the characters actually had charisma and could grab you. Secondly the crowd make a difference. I've been watching random PPVs and RAWs from 2000-2002 and there are at least half a dozen massive crowd reactions per show that would be among the biggest reactions in any of the last few years.

Yeah tastes change but so has the product and the environment. I honestly think HD has really had a negative impact on certain aspects of TV in the last decade and a bit. Watch an old ECW, WCW and even highly-polished, well-produced WWF and try to imagine it in crystal clear HD. It just loses something.

• Advertisement

Yeah like I don’t disagree there are differences. It looks more pristine where once it was gritty, but then again they treat women like actual athletes and even got a WrestleMania main event with them that most were happy to accept. Like I said, it’s the same show updated for 2019, with pros and cons to boot.

The Simpsons is a fair comparison. I’m not on any Simpsons message boards but do fans there for the most part try insist on changes they think they need to make to Homer’s character or do they just accept it’s not like when they first watched it, enjoy the old episodes and watch something else? That’s what I do tbh, because from my casual vantage point it seems a giant waste of time trying to fight to ‘change’ The Simpsons back into the show I once loved when I can just re-watch that exact show or find others.

sky88 wrote: »
    are they on vices youtube??

No Idea I'm watching it on there US streaming app.

WWE today is a horrid shell of what it was. Wrestlers used to gave personalities, they were allowed to be themselves, encouraged even. Now everyone is taught the same promo with the same cadence, scripted within an inch of it's life by somebody else giving the wrestlers no chance to get their real selves over. Each match is micromanaged, following the same formula, no life or spontinaiety at all. The crowds are used to these matches so they only come alive for the kicking out of finishers. Guys come in like Gran Metalic and aren't allowed do anything that made them special. Just follow the standard, cookie cutter WWE style.

The WWE branding of everything is also a new thing. I don't anyone who breathes oxygen doesn't cringe at "WWE Universe" it's horrible. They are fans, just say it. "Championship Title", "Local Medical Facility", it's infuriating. Nobody talks like that. The dialogue in promos are similarly god awful.

Announcing is just madness too. They never take a second to breath, they sound so false.

So yeah, it's quite a lot different and a lot worse than it was.

Yeah like I don’t disagree there are differences. It looks more pristine where once it was gritty, but then again they treat women like actual athletes and even got a WrestleMania main event with them that most were happy to accept. Like I said, it’s the same show updated for 2019, with pros and cons to boot.

The Simpsons is a fair comparison. I’m not on any Simpsons message boards but do fans there for the most part try insist on changes they think they need to make to Homer’s character or do they just accept it’s not like when they first watched it, enjoy the old episodes and watch something else? That’s what I do tbh, because from my casual vantage point it seems a giant waste of time trying to fight to ‘change’ The Simpsons back into the show I once loved when I can just re-watch that exact show or find others.

Most of The Simpsons stuff is people wishing it ended 20 years ago and not wanting season 10+ even being referred to as The Simpsons. A small minority try to claim it's still good when it obviously isn't. I would mention ratings but I don't want that wormhole opened :pac: It's still on the air purely for marketing and licencing purposes at this point. Perhaps another parallel? :P

While the "clean"-ness irks me it's hard to get my specific point across with it (I've been trying in several places for a while :P ). I suppose it feels to me that because everything now is sharp and clean everything on TV just has a same-ness about it. There's no blur in a live show/sport when something dramatic happens, there's less atmosphere because the news looks like a soap opera looks like a football match. So it's not a criticism of wrestling per se, just that it's something that has changed and IMO certainly for the worse.

There's one bit in that Smarket Research video that reminds me of me. I don't follow much wrestling now nor claim to know much about it, it's the bit trying to figure out what I like about wrestling. :P All I really watch is podcasts, shoots and lately old events. Once in a while I'll stick on some lovely TNA when AJ, Joe and Christopher Daniels were doing stuff that is still outstanding to watch today or old WWE events. WWE won't die (too much money coming in from various sources) but it's struggling in several aspects and there's room for a sizeable alternative company to make their own niche. They'll never reach the financial clout of WWE but I could see them having more "real" fans at some point in the future.

WWE today is a horrid shell of what it was. Wrestlers used to gave personalities, they were allowed to be themselves, encouraged even. Now everyone is taught the same promo with the same cadence, scripted within an inch of it's life by somebody else giving the wrestlers no chance to get their real selves over. Each match is micromanaged, following the same formula, no life or spontinaiety at all. The crowds are used to these matches so they only come alive for the kicking out of finishers. Guys come in like Gran Metalic and aren't allowed do anything that made them special. Just follow the standard, cookie cutter WWE style.

The WWE branding of everything is also a new thing. I don't anyone who breathes oxygen doesn't cringe at "WWE Universe" it's horrible. They are fans, just say it. "Championship Title", "Local Medical Facility", it's infuriating. Nobody talks like that. The dialogue in promos are similarly god awful.

Announcing is just madness too. They never take a second to breath, they sound so false.

So yeah, it's quite a lot different and a lot worse than it was.

https://streamable.com/wko15

That says it all. Owens trying to engage the fans, get them going but Vince via Mike fúcking Chioda is there shouting "Hard camera! Hard camera! Turn to the hard camera!"

Nothing is allowed to be natural.

https://streamable.com/wko15

That says it all. Owens trying to engage the fans, get them going but Vince via Mike fúcking Chioda is there shouting "Hard camera! Hard camera! Turn to the hard camera!"

Nothing is allowed to be natural.

I get how, when you notice that stuff, it leads you towards that. But genuinely I think you're putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

Here: this is a big moment for KO, it's his big face turn. If allowed to go with his instincts, sure you keep the natural feel, but you also get that moment where he's making that big connection at an important moment with that particular side of the audience and not with the other 3 sides or the MUCH bigger audience at home. If you don't get that shot you also don't get to use it for video packages etc in the future and mightn't get a redo with a crowd as hot as that exact moment of the turn. So the entire thing is a waste, basically, except for the first few rows of one side of the ring. Because he got that cue? You got all that, and only a TINY portion of the audience will have picked up on it. On balance, that's a much better solution, to a problem caused by who? Kevin Owens. It's on him. He should've naturally worked towards the hard cam, but he's human and that stuff easily happens in the heat of the moment, so it's good that it could be corrected instantly.

To be fair to Kevin, it must feel weird to sell to the completely empty side of the arena and turn your back on the handful of people who paid to attend this exercise in mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

To be fair to Kevin, it must feel weird to sell to the completely empty side of the arena and turn your back on the handful of people who paid to attend this exercise in mediocrity.

I'd love to put you through a barbershop window. Your gimmick is past its sell-by date.

He was just trying to escape through the window.

• Advertisement

That coward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd love to put you through a barbershop window. Your gimmick is past its sell-by date.

But yet people react still. What's that saying about fans reacting to wrestlers, any reaction is better than no reaction.

But yet people react still. What's that saying about fans reacting to wrestlers, any reaction is better than no reaction.

I worked myself into a shoot, brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

That coward!

ARE YOU BLIND?!

And HBK got the heat for Jannetty trying to jump through the window. Terrible stuff by Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Your petty axe grinding/hate posting on WWE, it's annoying at this stage, quit flapping your gums about it

We all know WWE is **** right now, we don't need the constant daily reminders.

That said, have a nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thread has gone over 10,000 posts. If any Mod bothers to create a new one please try make it be a News thread with no chat

The forum is quiet enough these days there should at least one thread that rolls along with chat and for me this thread is the best one for it.

So I say let’s chat.

Why no chat? Think that would be kinda boring, you want to encourage discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why no chat? Think that would be kinda boring, you want to encourage discussion.

It's literally in the thread title and anytime news gets posted its ignored and just lost due to the same clowns arguing (across multiple threads) so is likely not seen by anyone looking for news

Boards is dying in general stopping posters from chatting will just kill it off quicker as posters migrate to other forums where chat isn’t prohibited.

• Advertisement

To be fair nobody comes to discussion boards for discussion. Ruins the whole discussion board experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Completely agree. And he still can’t get over.

The forum is quiet enough these days there should at least one thread that rolls along with chat and for me this thread is the best one for it.

So I say let’s chat.

Completely agree it’s the best thread for the chats and good chats on here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Loughc wrote: »
    Completely agree it’s the best thread for the chats and good chats on here too.

And if some news is big enough to generate a large amount of chat it always gets moved to a thread of its own then.

Saudi Money?

Put up today and titled Imagine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzihG6eFzjc/

Saudi Money?

Put up today and titled Imagine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzihG6eFzjc/

I'm heartened that the vast majority of the comments on this and the Twitter post are ****ting all over the idea.

No one wants to see two pensioners shambling around embarrassing themselves.

They had the opportunity to do this match at Mania at least twice. Nobody cares anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah sting vs taker

A confrontation between the 2 guys would rule for old times sake but a match meh could be comedic gold but could pass if it's done quickly. Look it all could be bull**** and Saudi money is crazy. Did the Saudi prince like WCW ha ??. The promos for this could/could of been excellent

What could work somewhere down the line is Taker or Sting appear in the ring and are attacked by someone and then one comes too save the other and both men embrace each other in the ring for first and only time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I’ve been a little inactive recently as I’m traveling right now and have not really been too up to date with Wrestling but (mod hat on)
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Thread has gone over 10,000 posts. If any Mod bothers to create a new one please try make it be a News thread with no chat

I will lock this thread and open a new one by Monday or Tuesday. If you think a topic warrants a lot of chat I suggest starting a thread of its own for that topic. Ideally if mods have extra time they will split posts off into separate threads also.

I get it, and others do too I suspect. That said be careful with how you respond to people in cases like this because even when your reference is clear a post like the above could lead to mod issues
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Your petty axe grinding/hate posting on WWE, it's annoying at this stage, quit flapping your gums about it

We all know WWE is **** right now, we don't need the constant daily reminders.

That said, have a nice day.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    It's literally in the thread title and anytime news gets posted its ignored and just lost due to the same clowns arguing (across multiple threads) so is likely not seen by anyone looking for news

Lads consider this your mod warning- there is a don’t be a dick rule here on boards and generally the mods on PW are pretty lax with stuff because most are not dicks here but if repetitive annoying posts and arguments keep derailing threads and the boards.ie PW posters enjoyment of the board then I’ll be considering that rule broken and have to start handing out cards / bans which I generally never do.

Be nice, don’t bite if others rile you up and enjoy PW folks - if you’re not enjoying pw then maybe find something else for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bradley111

I'm heartened that the vast majority of the comments on this and the Twitter post are ****ting all over the idea.

No one wants to see two pensioners shambling around embarrassing themselves.

Taker should have retired a few years ago, but if they're still going to use him I can't understand why they keep putting him in there with old or bigger guys who can't get a decent match out of him. If they put him in there with someone like Bryan / AJ / Balor / KO it would still be good and fans might actually be interested - nobody cares about these legend matches anymore as they're guaranteed to be sh*te

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement