Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cesaro vs Sheamus Match 4 took place in London tonight, with cameras there to catch the result.
    Cesaro won, making it 3-1. Baffling they booked the turning point of the series on a house show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Loughc wrote: »
    Well it was the semis. Usos still turned heel and now they're a shoe in for the titles.

Ya think? I'd say Slater and Rhyno would be favourites as that angle has really gotten over, that way they can do Usos/Alpha as a grudge feud, then do it for the belts, and prolong AA's chase to the gold. You have to remember, with smaller rosters and divisions, they're gonna pad as much as possible so they'll milk any angle like Slater's that gets over in order to do so.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Cesaro vs Sheamus Match 4 took place in London tonight, with cameras there to catch the result.
    Cesaro won, making it 3-1. Baffling they booked the turning point of the series on a house show...

I think it's just to do with timing.
    If he wins two more on the two Raws between now and the next PPV, it'll make it Match 7 at the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Spoiler fail brother ;-)

First act as PW mod, I fixed that spoiler tag :)

Cheers. That's so weird, I wrote it on the mobile site and it looked to have worked when I read it there afterwards. Thanks anyway and congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Seems significant they don't wish him well in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    Seems significant they don't wish him well in the future.

Well it went through WWEonESPN and not WWE.com, so its not WWE officially announcing it, its ESPN with the "scoop" which saves WWE the well wishes part.

His run was a disaster for all involved.

Eh, wha? I think we've crossed wires. I wasn't referring to any ESPN coverage, just the statement WWE put on their own website, WWE.com.

And yes his run was a catastrophe. Can't help but wonder if Vince made a decision in like February when it was clear they'd blown it with him that they would just cool him off for the rest of the year, assuming he'd be gone again. They certainly haven't booked him in such a manner that you'd think they want to keep him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Alberto to me is just one of those wrestlers who is good at everything but never excels at anything.

• Advertisement

Yeah he has never been great in any one specific area. I am told his talking was real good in the year away from WWE but I didn't see enough of it to comment. Certainly his promos there were meh. And his matches in the 12 month period were mostly forgettable. I can't actually remember one match he had that I thought was particularly good. He'd some ok matches with Kalisto.

Eh, wha? I think we've crossed wires. I wasn't referring to any ESPN coverage, just the statement WWE put on their own website, WWE.com.
    I checked WWE.com earlier and seen nothing. But seen it on WWEonESPN Twitter page. Didnt realise WWE had announced it since.
    And yes his run was a catastrophe. Can't help but wonder if Vince made a decision in like February when it was clear they'd blown it with him that they would just cool him off for the rest of the year, assuming he'd be gone again. They certainly haven't booked him in such a manner that you'd think they want to keep him around.

He was mishandled from day one, and after his push stopped after after SS he was mishandled even worse. He never seemed that interested after the Rumble, maybe thats down to his attitude. Both WWE and Del Rio are guilty of this situation.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I checked WWE.com earlier and seen nothing. But seen it on WWEonESPN Twitter page. Didnt realise WWE had announced it since.

He was mishandled from day one, and after his push stopped after after SS he was mishandled even worse. He never seemed that interested after the Rumble, maybe thats down to his attitude. Both WWE and Del Rio are guilty of this situation.

i think it was a fear of the injuries that were happening that they brought back del rio with no real plans and just wanted a name there to bulk up the roster.

They brought him back on biiiiiiiig money to make him their hispanic star. Vince has always been real high on him, to the point that after his return he was flying from PPV's to Raw to Smackdown on the jet with management. The issue is that no one else sees much in him, and that Vince's creative (the Zeb Colter pairing was his idea) killed his momentum dead. At the point that his heat was gone, Vince lost interest, as he often does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought he was given a great gimmick. I loved the Mexican aristocrat character when he first came on the scene in late 2010 and the early feud he had with Mysterio.

All the air was taken out of him when he didn't fulfill his "destiny" at WM 27 and lost to Edge clean for the WHC. They had built him up superbly and then let him fall flat on his face.

I lost interest after that and the character soon became stale.

Always enjoyed his matches though, he's a real polished pro who rarely messes anything up.

They brought him back on biiiiiiiig money to make him their hispanic star. Vince has always been real high on him, to the point that after his return he was flying from PPV's to Raw to Smackdown on the jet with management. The issue is that no one else sees much in him, and that Vince's creative (the Zeb Colter pairing was his idea) killed his momentum dead. At the point that his heat was gone, Vince lost interest, as he often does.

Was it big money though? Thats a debatable point. He was brought in to beef up the star power on teh Latin tours but how much was he actually given. Meltzer seem to get bad info on the actual amount he reported.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

hahahaha Oh I forgot they gave him the 40 man rumble win only lose to Edge in the opening match at WM who then retired less than a month later.

Oh WWE, never change

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I always felt that once they took away his Gimmick he became a lot less interesting. Obviously by that I mean the cars & personal ring announcer etc but even his association with Coulter as terrible as it was had me curious as to what they might do with him but I had so little interest in ADR the last few months and barely even noticed when he wasn't being used.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Was it big money though? Thats a debatable point. He was brought in to beef up the star power on teh Latin tours but how much was he actually given. Meltzer seem to get bad info on the actual amount he reported.

The actual figure Meltzer reported ($1.45 million - how randomly arbitrary) is probably bull**** but there is no question it was a big dollar amount to get him back. Del Rio himself told the people around him a figure in that ballpark and, perhaps most pertinently, he was earning good money from Lucha Underground (believed to be in the 500k range) with a favourable schedule, not to mention AAA and indies, so he wasn't going back unless they loaded up the brinks truck.

I have to say, there is a sense he's squandered his own momentum in wrestling. It feels unlikely LU will give him the same deal and AAA isn't offering the same money. There's always TNA but he himself has been negative on it because of the stigma attached with that brand. The issue he has is that he is never happy with how he is used wherever he is and unless you're a top level calibre performer like Styles or a huge draw like Hogan, people get tired of that sh*t.

• Advertisement

The actual figure Meltzer reported ($1.45 million - how randomly arbitrary) is probably bull**** but there is no question it was a big dollar amount to get him back. Del Rio himself told the people around him a figure in that ballpark and, perhaps most pertinently, he was earning good money from Lucha Underground (believed to be in the 500k range) with a favourable schedule, not to mention AAA and indies, so he wasn't going back unless they loaded up the brinks truck.

I have to say, there is a sense he's squandered his own momentum in wrestling. It feels unlikely LU will give him the same deal and AAA isn't offering the same money. There's always TNA but he himself has been negative on it because of the stigma attached with that brand. The issue he has is that he is never happy with how he is used wherever he is and unless you're a top level calibre performer like Styles or a huge draw like Hogan, people get tired of that sh*t.

Del Rio could easily be blowing spoke with his people throwing out high numbers to get better deals. Melty got taken in my some bad info, probably by a misinformed source, and he never really admitted wrong even though other outlets reported he was way off.

God knows where he will end up, my guess is the indies for now with a big fee.

https://twitter.com/PlantillaDepor1/status/774274252295897088

So this is happening now.

Note the sponsors and the delightful jungle gym in the background

And for a second it looked like Paige was there to the side

https://twitter.com/apolovaldes/status/774284882004414465

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

and Mexican Al Snow on the very right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Gigantes Hooters"

Heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So did he say anything worth listening too?

He wants to wrestle 60 times a year for a few years, then retire. He wants to work for AAA and CMLL but not be under contract to either. He was positive about WWE and imagines they may work together again. He said he felt he had less passion for wrestling during the past year.

Paige was there as well, turning down requests for interviews.

Lexi Alexander say she is going to direct Crossface the Benoit story.

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/773682111492427776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

She directed Punisher: War Zone & Green Street Hooligans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be a good movie but can imagine wwe having nothing to do with it and blocking any mentions of anything to do with them.

So we will get a story based on the Benoit tragedy with fictional names, wrestling promotions etc.

Micky Rourke's the Wrestler is one of my all time favourite movies and I can imagine this project been very similar but more darker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

She has directed some cinematic classics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Batista has gone head to head with his toughest opponent - Lawro:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37188993

Here's Dave on the West Ham vs Watford game:
    I am going to this one - it is my first football game and I can't wait. Watford, you are getting spanked. 4-1.

What a fixture for your first ever football match. I hope the poor guy doesn't have to sit through a 0-0 game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

He predicts Man Utd 5 - 0 Man City. Doesn't know much about Mourinho's negativeball and record against Pep.

WCPW have announced Del Rio for a show:

I wonder will he work their next big event next month.

ricero wrote: »

She is also a 2 time World Champion in karate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ricero wrote: »

She is also a 2 time World Champion in karate.

Well she should stick to what shes good at then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The issue he has is that he is never happy with how he is used wherever he is and unless you're a top level calibre performer like Styles or a huge draw like Hogan, people get tired of that sh*t.

Had Styles a rep for being difficult? I thought Styles tended to negotiate pretty well. TNA iirc tried to prevent his move to WWE but it was backhanded tactics from them as opposed to him having done anything wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked War Zone and Green Street is liked by a lot of people, but I can see this being made for tv or VOD/Netflix/Amazon or something. Won't be cinematic release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Surely Vince and Co will have this stopped in before its even started. Wouldn't they own the rights to the name "Chris Benoit" and wouldn't let anything related to them be shown in a movie or documentary regarding Benoit. Anyone know if Christopher Nowinski is involved in the film.

Taken from Variety.

German helmer Lexi Alexander has come on board to direct “Crossface,” a biopic about late wresting champ Chris Benoit.

Producers are Alex A. Ginzburg and Tony Lee of Let It Play. Ram Getz and Matthew Randazzo V are exec producing.

Alexander will direct from a script by Jake Goldberger and Sarah Coulter. The project is based on Randazzo’s book “Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit & the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry.” The movie’s title is taken from Benoit’s trademark “crippler crossface” wrestling hold.

Benoit was a respected wrestler who murdered his wife and son before taking his own life in 2007. He was posthumously diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a progressive degenerative disease caused by severe or repeated blows to the head.

Alexander, best known for directing “Punisher: War Zone,” received an Academy Award nomination for her short film “Johnny Flynton.” Her film “Green Street Hooligans,” starring Elijah Wood and Charlie Hunnam, won South by Southwest’s best of fest and a special jury awards in 2005.

She has also directed episodes of the TV series “Limitless,” “Supergirl,” and “Arrow.”

“I was pretty certain I’d stay in TV rather than returning to the feature world, because the material just seems so much better in TV, especially in drama, but then ‘Crossface’ came my way,” Alexander said. “A heartbreaking, true story about the dark side of wrestling. … I couldn’t say no to that.”

Alexander is also a former World Karate Association world champion.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/chris-benoit-movie-crossface-lexi-alexander-1201855548/

Surely Vince and Co will have this stopped in before its even started. Wouldn't they own the rights to the name "Chris Benoit" and wouldn't let anything related to them be shown in a movie or documentary regarding Benoit. Anyone know if Christopher Nowinski is involved in the film.

Chris Benoit was his actual name; they don't own the rights to that. They can't stop a movie being made about his life but they could decide not to cooperate, i.e. denying access to footage, blocking appearances by wrestlers they have currently under contract. I imagine this is what they'll do.
    Batista has gone head to head with his toughest opponent - Lawro:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37188993

Here's Dave on the West Ham vs Watford game:

What a fixture for your first ever football match. I hope the poor guy doesn't have to sit through a 0-0 game.

Big Dave got a good game for his first match but it didn't go the way he predicted - Watford won 4-2.

• Advertisement

Had Styles a rep for being difficult? I thought Styles tended to negotiate pretty well. TNA iirc tried to prevent his move to WWE but it was backhanded tactics from them as opposed to him having done anything wrong?

No, sorry, Styles has a rep as an absolute pro. I was just using him as an example of a performer who is talented enough that people will tolerate bad behaviour from them. I should've said Shawn Michaels given he is that caliber of performer and, in the 90's, was also a prick behind the scenes.

IIRC Styles screwed TNA a bit. He signed a contract when it looked like WWE weren't calling, then got offered one by WWE, then backed out of the TNA contract (he claims something like that he only signed a contract agreeing to meet them and sign another contract, which doesn't even sound like a real thing). He got really sheepish about the whole thing in an interview with SCSA, which kinda confirmed the story to me. That's why TNA tried to block him, they were right to IMO. But he was also right to do whatever it took to go to WWE.

leggo wrote: »
    IIRC Styles screwed TNA a bit. He signed a contract when it looked like WWE weren't calling, then got offered one by WWE, then backed out of the TNA contract (he claims something like that he only signed a contract agreeing to meet them and sign another contract, which doesn't even sound like a real thing). He got really sheepish about the whole thing in an interview with SCSA, which kinda confirmed the story to me. That's why TNA tried to block him, they were right to IMO. But he was also right to do whatever it took to go to WWE.

If he signed a TNA contract and then signed a WWE contract, he'd be sued for every penny he was worth.

He signed a letter of intent. A letter of intent basically says that once the finer points of a contract are agreed upon, the parties will sign a contract. The contract never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bo Dallas was drunk and arrested in an airport, TMZ of all organizations/sites have the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"What's that?"

"Nunchucks."

"Jump rope."

"Oh yeah yeah."

Vince hurt himself "training", and needs surgery...

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/775476395661201409

Perhaps lifting extraordinarily heavy weights on 70 year old joints is not a particularly good idea, Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

20 Year Old Dies After Suffering Medical Emergency at Seth Rollins’ Wrestling Academy, Rollins has yet to issue a statement on the matter.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/754741-20-year-old-dies-after-suffering-medical-emergency-at-seth-rollins-wrestling-academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brandi Rhodes aka Eden stiles the wife of Cody Rhodes has been signed with TNA.

And she keeps the Rhodes name but what the ITK's here have been saying poor Cody won't be able to use it.

14280629_583040591883767_1504587330_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM0MjgzNDMzMTIwMjMzNjQwNQ%3D%3D.2

She signed on as a wrestler.
    It's official! I am the first lady to bear the Rhodes name as an in-ring competitor! Can't wait to get in there and get down to business!! Head over to twitter to check out my first interview as a KNOCKOUT!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement