Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

She hasn't used that in WWE, so she can use it. It's just Cody who has the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It more that WWE don't have any ownership over the name Rhodes so much as the specific ring names that Dusty and Cody wrestled under as part of their brand.

She was never known by that name in WWE so they have no claim to it.

That's how I understand it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

but wouldn't the fact that Dusty Rhodes wrestled as Dusty Rhodes when he was in the WWF in the early 90s not mean they wouldn't have had any claim to his name on the purchase of WCW. Cannot imagine he ever signed over Dusty Rhodes to them either. Pretty sure he appeared in tons of places as Dusty Rhodes over the years sure.

Cody, on the other hand, has never been Cody Rhodes outside of WWE as far as I'm aware. So he might not have permission to use it. It seems somewhat iffy ground that he wouldn't have some kind of claim to the name on account of it being his father's public name (assuming the name "Dusty Rhodes" isn't somehow owned by WWE) though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

but wouldn't the fact that Dusty Rhodes wrestled as Dusty Rhodes when he was in the WWF in the early 90s not mean they wouldn't have had any claim to his name on the purchase of WCW. Cannot imagine he ever signed over Dusty Rhodes to them either. Pretty sure he appeared in tons of places as Dusty Rhodes over the years sure.

Cody, on the other hand, has never been Cody Rhodes outside of WWE as far as I'm aware. So he might not have permission to use it. It seems somewhat iffy ground that he wouldn't have some kind of claim to the name on account of it being his father's public name (assuming the name "Dusty Rhodes" isn't somehow owned by WWE) though?

Dusty Rhodes wouldn't be owned by WWE because as you said he used that name before he ever signed with them.

Cody Rhodes and not Cody runnels is owned by WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Observer is saying HHH wants to bring in #Broken Matt Hardy.

I'd love to see him get a run with Broken in the WWE but I just know they would ruin it completely and not give him the freedom with the character he gets at TNA.

v1 Matt and p1ssed off with Edge indy Matt were great both ruined and never given a chance by WWE creative.

TNA signs Cody.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/779125616356519936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So the a loophole around the Rhodes name introduce Cody and Brandi Rhodes together.

Since the Mrs can use the name :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hes just Cody so far, sounds like a teen heart throb from the 80's without a last name.

Its not an exclusive deal from what I gather and he will work ROH and indies as well.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hes just Cody so far, sounds like a teen heart throb from the 80's without a last name.

Its not an exclusive deal from what I gather and he will work ROH and indies as well.

yep, he's like on of the characters in mystery date there.

3d59668d2b7c94b47ff42b59632c5ff7ef8b757d04d3d183be6986ab1845842e.jpg

EDIT: Is that Captain America?!

It is from this Board Game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

TNA signs Cody.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/779125616356519936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So the a loophole around the Rhodes name introduce Cody and Brandi Rhodes together.

Could he legally not change his last name to Rhodes and try to get around it that way. I remember seeing something last week that Ryback has or is in the process of changing his name to Ryback Reeves so he could use the name Ryback outside of WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Could he legally not change his last name to Rhodes and try to get around it that way. I remember seeing something last week that Ryback has or is in the process of changing his name to Ryback Reeves so he could use the name Ryback outside of WWE.

Ryback was successful in doing that :http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ryback-name-change-approved/#.V-VK30wrJpg

Im no legal brain but I'm sure its possible, The Warrior did the same. Not every ex WWE star would be as inclined as The Big Guy to go to such lengths and I predict Cody won't go down that road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ryback was successful in doing that :http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ryback-name-change-approved/#.V-VK30wrJpg

Im no legal brain but I'm sure its possible, The Warrior did the same. Not every ex WWE star would be as inclined as The Big Guy to go to such lengths and I predict Cody won't go down that road

The Big Guy wasn't as stupid as he looked, also trademarked "The Big Guy" and "Feed me More". Yeah I doubt Cody would want to burn any bridges in case he every wants to return again.

Actually he failed to trademark the Big Guy as, quite rightly, the trademarking people didn't consider it a specific enough term. That does mean he can still use it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

WWE looking to ban Seth Rollins' Buckle Bomb move..

http://www.inquisitr.com/3532276/wwe-news-seth-rollins-buckle-bomb-being-banned-by-wwe-officials/
    Rumors are saying that WWE are close to banning Seth Rollins from using this move, just like they banned his old finisher the curb stomp. Seth Rollins has been training on how to execute the move more safely but no word on if he will be able to keep the move or not.

And of course Bret Hart had to throw his 2 cents into the matter

http://www.inquisitr.com/3454764/wwe-news-bret-the-hitman-hart-believes-seth-rollins-is-going-to-kill-someone-if-he-doesnt-improve-his-technique/

• Advertisement

ach, in fairness it's not a move to bother keeping if it is that dangerous. It's not like it has anywhere near the visual impact something like the already banned and infinitely safe curb stomp did.

I think wrestlers sometimes get lost in the wrestling bubble and think a move that's hard to pull off and to them looks an awful lot like something that would hurt a lot or is hard to pull off is worth doing without really thinking about whether her the audience will perceive it as so. Daniel Bryan kept tons of really stupid moves in his arsenal right up until his retirement that didn't warrant inclusion at all (suicide dives and diving headbutts in particular).

One of the great failings of modern wrestling is the movement toward stuff that really hurts. Recently heard someone make that point referencing the trend of moves being done on the apron of the ring with the logic that since that's the hardest part of the ring, this makes those moves more devastating. But that's totally contrary to what wrestling used to be and should be. Educate the fans that the centre of the ring is the hardest, even though the truth is the opposite. You get the most reaction out of the least risk. That should be the goal.

In terms of Rollins, I can understand that because he's an internet favourite people want to look the other way, but he has got to get his s**t together and start performing like a pro. He was absolutely culpable in splattering Cena's nose across his face, and while I'll accept the idea that the first time Sting got hurt on the buckle bomb it was a freak thing, the fact that he didn't have the wherewithal to drop the second one from the match shows such a lack of either experience or due care. And then to keep using the move after it ended Sting's career shows a self confidence that's crossed the border into arrogance, or a blase attitude to his opponents safety. I mean if you watch the Balor thing back, it's just completely reckless, and I can recall him doing that almost as badly to Ambrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

TNA signs Cody.

Why announce it in advance? I know his signing was known but be good to have the surprise. Especially since now his appearance willl probably just be him coming to the ring and talking, like they always do. Maybe have someone interrupt him then make his inring debut down the line.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Did he use either this or the curb stomp on the indys?
    And in my opinion, he can't keep using the pedigree either "As a message to HHH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

The pedigree was always a sh1t move for Rollins, no twisting in the world will make a difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I think Rollins pedrigree looks horrible. Since hes 'Face' now surely he will switch finishers.

I'm surprised they allowed aj styles keep the styles clash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think Rollins pedrigree looks horrible. Since hes 'Face' now surely he will switch finishers.

I'm surprised they allowed aj styles keep the styles clash.

Apparently Chris Jericho helped AJ Styles get the Styles Clash unbanned. But yeah, Rollins using the Pedigree looks horrible. Maybe he should use the Phoenix Splash as his finisher now that he's a babyface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Monokne wrote: »
    One of the great failings of modern wrestling is the movement toward stuff that really hurts. Recently heard someone make that point referencing the trend of moves being done on the apron of the ring with the logic that since that's the hardest part of the ring, this makes those moves more devastating. But that's totally contrary to what wrestling used to be and should be. Educate the fans that the centre of the ring is the hardest, even though the truth is the opposite. You get the most reaction out of the least risk. That should be the goal.

Good point. Jim cornette made the point on his podcast about when he was starting out in the 1980s that the guys made things look like they hurt but didn't each other but now it's do stupid dangerous stuff so the fans can't see through it.

Jesus Christ, I saw Kurt Angle trending on facebook and nearly had a stroke, was fully bracing for the worst.

but yeah, apparently he done an interview about his drug issues. Says he was on 65 vicodin a day at the worst of it, everyone drinking in TNA led to him mixing drink with the meds which left him a mess in the evenings (hence all the DUIs) and that he's been clean for 3 years now.
    http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/17619709/former-wwe-star-kurt-angle-says-took-65-extra-strength-vicodin-day-height-addiction-issues?ex_cid=espnfb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Vicodin is like Solpadeine isn't it? All that paracetamol would do damage to your liver :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ageyev wrote: »
    Vicodin is like Solpadeine isn't it? All that paracetamol would do damage to your liver :/

Similar in as such as they both are opioids, but Vicodin includes hydrocodone with is a synthetic opioid and as such is a step up in strength than Solpadeine.

Vicodin is the thing Dr House was addicted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Vicodin is the thing Dr House was addicted to.

And The Rock in Ballers

Seth Rollins reportedly injured last night, had "trouble breathing" when he got backstage

http://www.pwmania.com/seth-rollins-reportedly-injured-at-wwe-clash-of-champions-last-night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think it was mentioned, but there's footage of the Orton/Lesnar house show match available online. Won't post a link in case it's not allowed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

D'Von Dudley has reportedly be hired as a backstage agent by WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

I see Matt Hardy is coming to Cork in December, pity theres no Dublin date

Lord TSC wrote: »
    D'Von Dudley has reportedly be hired as a backstage agent by WWE.

Confirmed now

https://twitter.com/TestifyDVon/status/780513200299212801

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ryback in talks with bellator for an mma fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ricero wrote: »
    Ryback in talks with bellator for an mma fight.

vs newly cut from the UFC .... CM Punk!

nah not really

ceegee wrote: »
    I see Matt Hardy is coming to Cork in December, pity theres no Dublin date

There was a Dublin date...guess it must have been DELETED :D

I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://www.chattsportsnet.com/featured/wwe/dean-ambrose-hiatus-lunatic-will-go-hiatus-after-wwe-no-mercy/15419/

SD will be low enough on star power post No Mercy with both Cena and Ambrose gone

I wonder will they bring up Joe and someone else to take there places ??? (Styles retains the title with help from old tna friends and they attack Cena and Ambrose ??)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.chattsportsnet.com/featured/wwe/dean-ambrose-hiatus-lunatic-will-go-hiatus-after-wwe-no-mercy/15419/

SD will be low enough on star power post No Mercy with both Cena and Ambrose gone

I wonder will they bring up Joe and someone else to take there places ??? (Styles retains the title with help from old tna friends and they attack Cena and Ambrose ??)

Heel Usos to align with AJ and form a club 2.0 on Smackdown. Think they are fighting for the titles on the night and seems a little early for Slater and Ryhno to be dropping the titles so to have them look strong while keeping Slater and Ryhno champs they take out Cena and Ambrose to help AJ retain.

Orton is gonna win his feud with Bray and move on to AJ while Cena and Ambrose are away and he can team with AA. Pushes AA and Usos up to the main event scene for a bit and lets Slater and Ryhno continue on as champs.

They'll find a way to keep Ambrose on television there, I'd wager.

• Advertisement

Heel Usos to align with AJ and form a club 2.0 on Smackdown. Think they are fighting for the titles on the night and seems a little early for Slater and Ryhno to be dropping the titles so to have them look strong while keeping Slater and Ryhno champs they take out Cena and Ambrose to help AJ retain.

Orton is gonna win his feud with Bray and move on to AJ while Cena and Ambrose are away and he can team with AA. Pushes AA and Usos up to the main event scene for a bit and lets Slater and Ryhno continue on as champs.

I think they'll switch those titles on Sunday week. Vince has a history of putting the babyface over where the story itself needs it, but if he isn't enamoured with the talent, he moves on pretty quick. Think of Christian or Rey's world title runs. Plus there are no other real heel teams for Slater & Rhyno to work with.

Orton v AJ seems like a natural, I agree there. Uso's & AJ is a terrible fit, I don't see that one.

I think they'll switch those titles on Sunday week. Vince has a history of putting the babyface over where the story itself needs it, but if he isn't enamoured with the talent, he moves on pretty quick. Think of Christian or Rey's world title runs. Plus there are no other real heel teams for Slater & Rhyno to work with.

Orton v AJ seems like a natural, I agree there. Uso's & AJ is a terrible fit, I don't see that one.

Only other heel team I can think of that they could work with would be The Wyatts and might not be a bad thing to have Bray and Rowan challenge for the belts. When he loses to Randy, I honestly cant think of anyone else for Bray Wyatt to job too except The Miz so might help for them to actually win something for once.

Wyatt needs to flip babyface. He's just so terrible as a heel. Speaks mumbo jumbo, threatens people, accomplishes nothing. He's much more suited to being like the Undertaker in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wyatt needs to flip babyface. He's just so terrible as a heel. Speaks mumbo jumbo, threatens people, accomplishes nothing.

That's pretty much all he's ever done as a heel, AFAICS. Never got what the hell he was on about in any of his promos and was tired of it before the sheen seemed to wear off for many others.

I think there are a number of problems with Wyatt. His entrance is monotonous for one thing, and few wrestlers have gotten over with such an entrance, the Undertaker being the notable exception.

He hasn't been in too many great matches. He may not have even been in any, but I haven't seen all of them to know, but I do know that rarely do I see an in-ring performance of his set the Internet ablaze, such as Rollins, Ambrose, AJ Styles or Lesnar might. Without a solid program to back up his rambling monologues, it becomes hard to take him seriously as anything more than a hot air merchant.

He's developed very little depth to his character. He's pretty much rambling about the same stuff that he did three years ago. Wyatt said in an interview with Steve Austin that he writes his own promos, so it's hard to blame the WWE's writers for his creative stagnancy. Round and round in circles he goes.

The man has not held a single title in his entire main roster run. This should be a mind boggling statistic if a guy is supposed to be a marquee name. He hasn't even held the tag belts as part of the Wyatt family. This should have been a no-brainer. It's not as if the WWE were brimming with tag team talent that the Wyatts didn't get a look in. This means his feuds are all around the same kind of theme. He picks a guy he doesn't like and goes after them. It's kind of random and kind of arbitrary.

But does Wyatt need a belt? Jake Roberts didn't need a belt, they say. Yeah, but come on. That man was a cut above, charisma-wise. Wyatt ain't no Roberts. While Wyatt rambles in circles, Roberts had a weight to his words, and a look that I believe had to be a little bit informed by his torrid personal life/upbringing. That darkness is a tough thing to manufacture, and I don't personally believe that it can be manufactured at all. Even Mick Foley had that problem as Mankind, bouncing his head on the glass ceiling, before diversifying with Dude Love and Cactus Jack, and also making Mankind into more of a lovable comedy character. Wyatt definitely needs to become more 'human' if he wants to break through, IMO.

Jamie Noble is currently in hospital after being stabbed twice in a West Virginia trailer park.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/jamie-noble-stabbed-trailer-park-hospitalized/#.V-6yvvArLIU

Hold on, he's been employed steadily by WWE for years and his home is in a trailer park?
    Living the gimmick, ****ing hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hold on, he's been employed steadily by WWE for years and his home is in a trailer park?
    Living the gimmick, ****ing hell.

Could only be living it more if Nidia stabbed him....by mistake cos she's blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sounds like he has a mobile home to live in when he's on the road. Probably has a house though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Sounds believable considering their past.

Possible spoilers for Aries partner in NXT Dusty Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would you mind spoilering that AG? It's a bit better to say ''rumours about Aries partner here'' rather than a flat out headline. Gives people a choice whether they wanna read it or not.

I've changed it so as to make the spoiler less obvious :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement