Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

NXT has completely lost it since the main writer moved to Smackdown. It's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

NXT has completely lost it since the main writer moved to Smackdown. It's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Its been a boring show to watch the last year or so at least. The Takeovers are great (though the last one lacked a bit). The void left by so many call ups the last six months has left them a hard task at elevating a lot of new names (TM61, AoP, any of the ladies).

It's baffling that Joe and Nak are still there, totally wasting them there. Nakamura should be the WWE champion by now.

It's baffling that Joe and Nak are still there, totally wasting them there. Nakamura should be the WWE champion by now.

I think both are capable of easily being upper mid-card/ main eventers, but I can see the logic in having them in NXT.

Will WWE sell more tickets/ network subs with them on the main roster? possibly..... Will they make it better overall ? That depends on how they are used. Vince has a bad track record with Asian talent on the main roster and he my not push Joe to the heights hes capable of. Will they sell more merch? You could argue that people buying merch may by others merch instead.

On NXT, they (and others there like Roode, Asuka, DIY as well others before them ie Balor, Owens, Zayn) help make it a separate brand, bringing its one stream of money separate from the MR. Selling its own tickets, its own merch and adding another reason to by a Network sub as its exclusive.

I'll give you the Network argument, but the shows they run in such small arenas with the money Nakamura is on couldn't possibly be making a profit. They'll obviously make more merch sales being on the Main Roster.

• Advertisement

I'll give you the Network argument, but the shows they run in such small arenas with the money Nakamura is on couldn't possibly be making a profit. They'll obviously make more merch sales being on the Main Roster.

Ive no idea if they are profitable or not now, Hunter and Vince are the only ones who would know that. NXT has gobbled up some of the best independent talent around in the last few years. TNA, ROH and to a lesser extent NJPW have all had big names pooched from their shows and have had a hard job of pushing new talent as a result. Its like its Hunters way of gathering up talent like Vince did in the 80's and pushing his own super indy NXT. Whetehr its making money is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They have a problem as wellof be not giving them an opening to move up. Like Joe took the title from Nakamura, so Nakamura got a rematch in which he took the title from Joe. Now Joe gets a rematch. So much back and forth, with no one else to step up. Look at Asuka. They've written themselves into a corner with her streak. Who is left in NXT that can believably beat her twice in a row (title match and rematch)?

I'd have Nakamura in the Rumble and win the whole thing, fans would be very happy. They'll probably have Reigns win it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd have Nakamura in the Rumble and win the whole thing, fans would be very happy. They'll probably have Reigns win it again though.

Apparently and pinch of salt time
    Bray Wyatt
    is the rumoured winner come January.

Dear Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Lith where you seeing that rumour?

LeeJM wrote: »

Just googled Royal Rumble 2017 and it's the 2nd top story, again pinch of salt and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wouldn't mind if that was who won the rumble, no matter who wins it the brand whose superstar doesn't win the rumble will have a number one contenders match or matches
    and with Raw having the bigger roster it might be better for them to not have someone when the rumble

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Just googled Royal Rumble 2017 and it's the 2nd top story, again pinch of salt and what not.
    I just did the same. It was a site I have never ever heard of (The Inquisitr) running a clickbait story. I dunno maybe Im old but I dont consider sites like that or What Culture or WrestleNewz worthy of comment. Im not having a go at you personally Lith its just a bug bear of mine regarding wrestling news. f4wonline, pwinsider and pwtorch are free reputable wrestling news sites where all these newz sites get their stories and "sources" from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will the winner of the RR get to choose which brand title they want to to compete for at WM or will they be stuck with just a shot at there own brand title?

Winning the RR doesn't seem as special when there are two watered down titles.

I just did the same. It was a site I have never ever heard of (The Inquisitr) running a clickbait story. I dunno maybe Im old but I dont consider sites like that or What Culture or WrestleNewz worthy of comment. Im not having a go at you personally Lith its just a bug bear of mine regarding wrestling news. f4wonline, pwinsider and pwtorch are free reputable wrestling news sites where all these newz sites get their stories and "sources" from.

Yeah, either of those sites is where the inquisitr probably got it, took the story and put their own spin on it.. Guess we'll just have til January to find out who wins the Rumble.

Mam slams Kevin Owens for yelling at her 7 year old son, video in question below

https://streamable.com/2r6r

and the inevitable response from the mother on social media
    My heart is shattered. What started off as an amazingly awesome night ended in my 7 year old being completely heartbroken. My son is a huge WWE fan and a fan of just about every wrestler on the roster. He has a drawer full of everyone's shirts but he chose to wear a Roman Reigns shirt since he has been a fan of his ever since he started watching. All night he was getting high fives from other wrestlers and was all smiles but for some reason when Kevin Owens came out he singled out my son and commented on who's shirt he was wearing then told him "you should get this shirt. Actually don't get this shirt I don't want you to ever wear my shirt. Don't you ever try to touch me." All because my 7 year old wanted a high five and wasn't wearing his shirt. My heart sank. He became visibly upset, sat down and kept staring at the gate. I couldn't help it I started crying. He loves wrestling. He has a drawer full of just about everyone's shirts, over 100 figures, so many accessories and just loves watching and going to events. The worst part is he was going to be getting a Kevin Owens shirt and hat for Christmas but now he doesn't want anything to do with him. Kevin Owens was actually one of my sons favorites but now he says "he's not even on the list of who I like." This was finally an event that my whole family was able to attend: myself, my son, my mother who has been suffering from leukemia, and my father and we were all having a great time until that happened. For a show that is supposed to be family friendly Kevin Owens really crushed a huge fans spirits last night. My son is 7 not 15 or 16 where they can take someone they idolize talking to them like that but 7. We have been to many events: TLC, Smackdown, Hell in a Cell, NXT, and the draft. He doesn't want to go anymore. He had previously asked me if the wrestlers who appear mean would ever do or say something to a kid and I said absolutely not they know better. Kevin Owens made me a liar and just showed everyone last night how much of a jerk he really is. To top all of this off after Kevin Owens lost to Roman Reigns and he was walking away from the ring my son was just standing there on his seat watching and Kevin Owens jumped towards him and yelled at him "I am your father" which made no sense but with the sudden movement and loudness made all of us jump and my son almost fell of his seat. My son is crushed and whenever he talks about it he tears up. I can't believe a wrestler would actually treat a 7 year old fan this way. Shame on you Kevin Owens and WWE.

A case of the mother over-reacting OR Kevin Owens just doing his job so perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Mam slams Kevin Owens for yelling at her 7 year old son, video in question below

https://streamable.com/2r6r

and the inevitable response from the mother on social media

A case of the mother over-reacting OR Kevin Owens just doing his job so perfectly?

Kevin Owens making kids cry brah. The mother is for sure a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

cian68 wrote: »
    Kevin Owens making kids cry brah. The mother is for sure a moron.

I wouldn't say the mother is a moron, that's a bit harsh. I mean parents don't want to see their kids upset and at seven years old can a child understand it's an act ? I dont think so.

I think Kevin Owens should have understood the situation a bit better and toned his gimmick down due to it being a house show that looks empty.

WWE has also become so watered down over the last decade and a bit with the whole PG era thing it could be a shock to some parents seeing an old fashioned heat generator like Owens screaming and shouting at fans.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the mother is a moron, that's a bit harsh. I mean parents don't want to see their kids upset and at seven years old can a child understand it's an act ? I dont think so.

I think Kevin Owens should have understood the situation a bit better and toned his gimmick down due to it being a house show that looks empty.

But it's pro wrestling, and isn't it heels job to get people to boo them

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I wouldn't say the mother is a moron, that's a bit harsh. .

That was a bit harsh. I think I'm tired. Telling her kid that the wrestlers would never be mean to a kid was a bit silly.

Even Owens himself had a laugh about the "incident" on Twitter

https://twitter.com/FightOwensFight/status/808216854598709248?lang=en

It's actually refreshing seeing a heel do heel things.

But it's pro wrestling, and isn't it heels job to get people to boo them
    Yeah boo them not scare a child just because of a tshirt he's wearing.

Well maybe she sees the disclaimer on the network that the characters are fictitious and do not reflect the people portraying them.

Also in WWEs world pro wrestling doesn't exist.

The kid is 7 not 3 of course he should understand that there is good guys and bad guys. The fact that the mother, father or grandparents didnt have the smarts to explain this to the kid says it all. Owens was being heel trying to get a reaction. Unfortunately parents would rather blame somebody else than actually have to explain to their son about how not everybody in the world is a nice guy.

To add, my son has just turned 4 and he sometimes sees some WWE and when he asks why they are bashing each other I just explained that one guy was a bold guy and the other was a nice guy and he seems to understand the premise. As KO himself said its complaining hoping to get some free merch or tiks etc.

Yeah boo them not scare a child just because of a tshirt he's wearing.

Well maybe she sees the disclaimer on the network that the characters are fictitious and do not reflect the people portraying them.

Also in WWEs world pro wrestling doesn't exist.

I know it's a short clip I linked to, but at the end of said clip, the child looks anything but scared, if anything he's got something to brag about to friends..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

I know it's a short clip I linked to, but at the end of said clip, the child looks anything but scared, if anything he's got something to brag about to friends..

It looked to me that the kid was about to burst into tears.

It's not nice to bring a kid to a show and have one of the wrestlers single out and berate him to the point where he cries. I have no doubt that if another wrestler had done the same to Owen's kid he'd be the first one in his face asking to tone it down.

Not saying Owens is completely in the wrong, but that he should pick his targets a bit better. Picking on tiny kids for cheap heat is no way to go through life.

He's a heel for Christ's sake. He should get an award for that, nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if WWE will issue an apology?

"WWE Superstar upsets little kid and old lady with leukaemia" I doubt they'll want any of the bad press.

• Advertisement

Will the winner of the RR get to choose which brand title they want to to compete for at WM or will they be stuck with just a shot at there own brand title?

Winning the RR doesn't seem as special when there are two watered down titles.

I'm sure they will get to choose which title they want and maybe the same with the MITB briefcase. Would be an easy way for them to switch wrestlers to different brands plus would be epic to have someone to show up on the opposite brand to cash in their briefcase.

I'm sure they will get to choose which title they want and maybe the same with the MITB briefcase. Would be an easy way for them to switch wrestlers to different brands plus would be epic to have someone to show up on the opposite brand to cash in their briefcase.

My guess is that situation will change depending on how they wanna book. One year they will get to choose, then the following year it will be brand specific.

My guess is that situation will change depending on how they wanna book. One year they will get to choose, then the following year it will be brand specific.

If they plan on making Wrestlemania 33 as long as last year wouldn't be surprised to see them have brand specific MITB ladder matches to spread the card out but Smackdowns one would be battle of the lower mid cards unless they had some NXT call ups such as Joe or Nakamura.

WWE Presser in London, Hunter announces a 16 Man tournament to crown a UK Champion. Tournie will take place in Jan 14-15. Nigel McGuinness to due announcing duties

https://twitter.com/tufayel/status/809356952992157698

https://twitter.com/tufayel/status/809357709891997696

Trent Severn, Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate and Jordan Deviln of OTT fame will be competitors. Other talent from Progress, OTT and Rev Pro will take part

https://twitter.com/tufayel/status/809359518769483776

https://twitter.com/tufayel/status/809360624878841857

Big story here is WWE making a big power move. ITV and World of sport (a big money player that could genuinely compete in the market) start there show and WWE sign up a lot of talent for there new tournie. WWE see the threat by ITV and move to snap up talent. WWE more or less saying its our territory.

WWE rumoured to be paying these guys 12k on 1 year deals, which is very low money for the amount of work they could end up doing. But WWE is the end game for most wrestlers and more would easily take worst deals with WWE and with better potential long term prospects if they impress than a better deal with ITV who might not be so dependable long term.

Also things to note is that its a great step in the WWE door for all the talent involved. Get themselves on the map and they could go far if they impress long term.

Also a few Irish guys going for a UK title!!! Gerry Adams won't like this.

I feel for TNA in this. they always seemed to have a good handle on UK talent but did little with it, now WWE and ITV come along and pounce when Brit Wrestling is experiencing a boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder will we get an Asian Championship and European Championship somewhere down the line ???

Will this UK belt be only a one off thing or will the winner go to the main roster or NXT with it ???

Triple H is really a revolution in WWE with all these tournament ideas (making pro wrestling seem a legit sport)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will we get an Asian Championship and European Championship somewhere down the line ???

Will this UK belt be only a one off thing or will the winner go to the main roster or NXT with it ???

Triple H is really a revolution in WWE with all these tournament ideas (making pro wrestling seem a legit sport)

I think its more on monopolizing the sport in a modern way. Vince did it in the 80's with the territories. With WWE making more trips to Asia, signing up top Indy talent and now making this power move to combat the ITV WOS venture, its more about WWE making sure they making sure they remain the biggest player in the game globally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ITV have TV time, money and the ability to do high end production values. They could be a threat.

Mind, the reports I read from their pilot taping were pretty bad....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ITV have TV time, money and the ability to do high end production values. They could be a threat.

Mind, the reports I read from their pilot taping were pretty bad....

First TV pilot didnt get rave reviews, but Im sure there will be a tone of editing and post production that could make it presentable when its aired. It could easily suck in a casual viewer if its done right.

For all we know they might have Ant and Dec doing pre taped interviews with Dermot O'Leary doing voice over commentary. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

I seem to remember that about 9 or 10 years ago there were rumours about WWE running regional promotions. I think it was European, Asian, and South American. It may have coincided with the signing of people like Sheamus, Drew Galloway, and a few others that don't come to mind. Certainly I remember Shane McMahon being named as involved in the plan.

With the Network now established at least they have a delivery method now.

I wouldn't trust ITV to do anything right. They may have the TV, Money, and Ability, but I don't think they have the will to do a good modern wrestling show. I just see it as a cash grab World Of Sport nostalgia, except without spending money on any big name wrestlers that might be around (such as Wade Barrett) and help give it credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can see it generating the same post tournament issues the cruiserweight division still has now.
    It's content for their network but a UK title has little purpose when the IC & US Title exist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So, I didn't catch this at first, but the tournament is only a gateway into a fully blown Uk & Ireland based WWE show!

From what I can see, it will be a new weekly show on the Network, and the vibes seem to be that it's a proper series, filmed in the UK (presumably Dublin could get some episodes down the road too). And the tourney is to crown the show's first champion, who'll stay over here defending the title.

That....is actually kind of awesome!

I saw a tweet earlier from the ae podcast about a U.K. Champ but honestly thought it was a pisstake by those lads. I didn't see the wwe tweets.I didn't know it was an actual thing.

It's an interesting concept at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hate to moan but these tournaments but they really dilute the talent. They are a good novelty but it makes such an obivious split from the main roster/part of WWE. I couldn't care less about any of the cruiseweights for the same reason.

Give me the old fashion jumping of ship like times of old with WCW and ECW. Something cool about an indie powerhouse coming to F sh*t up. For example I'm much more intrigued about Big Damo randomly turning up in NXT than say Pete Dunne being part of a big clinically planned tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The belt looks awesome...

cpQj41W.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

That puts their actual current top titles to absolute shame. :pac:

So is this going to be basically NXT UK running weekly shows on the Network?

Not a fan of the new belt. Looks like the back of a pound sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

J. Marston wrote: »
    The belt looks awesome...

cpQj41W.jpg

Looks a lot like the Newcastle logo:

1017px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png

So is this going to be basically NXT UK running weekly shows on the Network?

More like 205 live but with lesser known talent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement