Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm don't mind the belt actally but who ever came up with that design and is making them for WWE is making a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm don't mind the belt actally but who ever came up with that design and is making them for WWE is making a mint.

This is the guy who makes them for WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I wouldn't trust ITV to do anything right. They may have the TV, Money, and Ability, but I don't think they have the will to do a good modern wrestling show. I just see it as a cash grab World Of Sport nostalgia, except without spending money on any big name wrestlers that might be around (such as Wade Barrett) and help give it credibility.

I'm not sure you're clear on how a "cash grab" works brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think it goes back to the old adage that used to be thrown at WCW/Turner.

ITV is a TV company making a wrestling show. WWE is a wrestling company making a TV Show.

Sounds aloof but I do understand that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Believe me Alex Shane is not the new Eric Bischoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I've no doubt ITV's WOS will be a flop (give it 2 months after the initial burst) but it's crazy to see WWE knee-jerk so hard over it. It was a big thing in the 70s and 80s...it's been literally 30 years mate. it's just weird seeing how much of the market share they have, and they're still terrified of the little guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the talk of the new World of Sport promotion, just got me thinking is Global Force Wrestling still a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the talk of the new World of Sport promotion, just got me thinking is Global Force Wrestling still a thing?
    There is talk that TNAs rebranding is gonna involve GFW and Jarrett is on his way back to having some "stroke" in TNA/GFW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

LeeJM wrote: »
    There is talk that TNAs rebranding is gonna involve GFW and Jarrett is on his way back to having some "stroke" in TNA/GFW

Any links to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Thought World of Sport was just a one off special, they trying to turn it into a weekly show or something like that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thought World of Sport was just a one off special, they trying to turn it into a weekly show or something like that now?

Well its an ITV produced show, the pilot will probably be to test the waters.

WWE are really hitting the ground early with this power play, they are preempting the worst case scenario for them (Its a success on Mainstream Television). It will have a much bigger potential audience than TNA ever could dream of in the UK. It will most likely flop, but ya never know and WWE are just not taking any chances.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any links to this?

Theres plenty of this kind of talk on the rumour page of most of the mainstream sites, but its nothing concrete yet. Id expect it to be true though

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well its an ITV produced show, the pilot will probably be to test the waters.

WWE are really hitting the ground early with this power play, they are preempting the worst case scenario for them (Its a success on Mainstream Television). It will have a much bigger potential audience than TNA ever could dream of in the UK. It will most likely flop, but ya never know and WWE are just not taking any chances.

Hopefully it's a success, be grand to have a wrestling show on free to air t.v. and something different to wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I've no doubt ITV's WOS will be a flop (give it 2 months after the initial burst) but it's crazy to see WWE knee-jerk so hard over it. It was a big thing in the 70s and 80s...it's been literally 30 years mate. it's just weird seeing how much of the market share they have, and they're still terrified of the little guy.

ITV with wrestling is like a mule with a spinning wheel.

MrMac84 wrote: »

Any links to this?
    http://www.pwinsider.com/article/106573/jeff-jarrett-returning-to-tna-.html?p=1

There ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd say they've been planning this (in general, not specifically the tournament) since the ICW/BBC doc. They'll have paid attention to how big BritWres has gotten and wanted to raid it for a while. Always happens.

It's very typical of them though. They are incredibly aggressive in protecting their space and always have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hate to add more chat here but is there any information on the ITV WOS? Outside of JR I don't know of anybody else that is to appear.

Are results from the pilot online?

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Hate to add more chat here but is there any information on the ITV WOS? Outside of JR I don't know of anybody else that is to appear.

Are results from the pilot online?

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/44096/SPOILERS-ITV-World-Of-Sport-Wrestling-Reboot-Results/

Tells you who fought and won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Now I read the results no point in watching it.

And seeing Max Beesley is there has really made sure I won't watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Finn Balor apparently made an appearance at OTT wrestling tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Finn Balor apparently made an appearance at OTT wrestling tonight.

No apparently. Kicked the show off with it and it was easily the biggest pop I've ever heard at a live show. Fair play to everyone involved to kick the whole thing a surprise!

2016, the year contracted WWE talent are allowed show up on big indy promotions. WWE would of never let this happen 10 or 20 years ago.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    2016, the year contracted WWE talent are allowed show up on big indy promotions. WWE would of never let this happen 10 or 20 years ago.

To be fair to them there is precedent: Jerry Lawler used to wrestle weekly, Booker runs and wrestled on his own promotion while under contract, they even loaned NJPW The Undertaker for a match before. It's just now they care enough about this side of the water to let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would also guess having Finn turn up at events In this neck of the woods is also going to have him promote the UK Network show while at these events.

Finn being the darling of the UK and Ireland wrestling scene is just a good way to advertise it to the wrestling fans here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I would also guess having Finn turn up at events In this neck of the woods is also going to have him promote the UK Network show while at these events.

Finn being the darling of the UK and Ireland wrestling scene is just a good way to advertise it to the wrestling fans here.

Maybe being hurt kind of worked out for him with all his promo work etc

The man is going to be **** hot when he comes back and crazy as this sounds 'it will take a while too get used to him being on the main roster' as he was only on it a matter of weeks before he got hurt but can't wait to see him back

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maybe being hurt kind of worked out for him with all his promo work etc

The man is going to be **** hot when he comes back and crazy as this sounds 'it will take a while too get used to him being on the main roster' as he was only on it a matter of weeks before he got hurt but can't wait to see him back

Said it at the time, being hurt was the best thing that could've happened to him, long-term. It gave him a martyr story for even those who don't already love him to rally around him and guarantees, no matter how strong he's booked, people will never give him the Reigns reaction while cementing him as a main eventer in everyone's mind (whereas if he'd have been grand he would've got the "Is this too soon?" treatment as champ).

How WWE have used him, with the ICW & OTT cameos, has been absolutely genius, playing on how he used to break the Internet weekly while on the indies with the body paint etc. So when he does come back he'll have so much goodwill and momentum. It'll actually be difficult for them to keep him out of the main event of Mania now.

leggo wrote: »
    Said it at the time, being hurt was the best thing that could've happened to him, long-term. It gave him a martyr story for even those who don't already love him to rally around him and guarantees, no matter how strong he's booked, people will never give him the Reigns reaction while cementing him as a main eventer in everyone's mind (whereas if he'd have been grand he would've got the "Is this too soon?" treatment as champ).

How WWE have used him, with the ICW & OTT cameos, has been absolutely genius, playing on how he used to break the Internet weekly while on the indies with the body paint etc. So when he does come back he'll have so much goodwill and momentum. It'll actually be difficult for them to keep him out of the main event of Mania now.

I don't mean to **** all over your theory, but he's been in developmental earning a nice but hardly life changing salary for 2 years. Given he was getting the championship and had 3 PPV main events at least scheduled for him, the chances are this injury cost him between 200 & 400 thousand dollars. So not THE best thing that could've happened to him, then.

Yes but if it's the difference between risking getting a backlash by having the belt put on him while he's still finding his feet in his first month and having an unfortunate incident that cemented him as a denied, unlucky superstar in the fans' minds (ensuring a lifetime of goodwill as such), then I think he'll live without royalties for minor PPVs like HIAC when that scenario would've likely seen him lose the belt heading into Mania season and end up in the midcard ladder match. The reaction immediately following his SummerSlam win (except over here where we were obviously ecstatic for him) was night-and-day compared to his promo giving up the belt one night later. The former was "ooohh is he ready or is he gonna flop?" The latter was "he's a star and this is heartbreaking for him but he's gonna come back better than ever!" Nothing gets a guy over with wrestling fans these days like some real-life martyrdom and being denied big opportunities.

As it stands he's possibly the favourite to win the Rumble and main event WrestleMania now, which is FAR more lucrative. Even Miz has a job for life now after main eventing 27 (something people look back at as a disaster these days). Give me being hot during peak time with a big Mania match over a title reign during the period WWE get killed in the ratings by NFL annually any day. Sure, even without injuries, Cena plans his schedule these days similarly to that.

You have to think of WWE as a long-term career plan for guys. It's not a short-term money-spinner, you take less now in the hope of something clicking later and cementing you with a well paid job for life. Balor is clicking right now and, in the time off, getting well trained in being an ambassador and face for the company. This period is setting him up for paydays that'll see him earn more in one match down the line than he would've during an autumn title reign.

Yes but if it's the difference between risking getting a backlash by having the belt put on him while he's still finding his feet in his first month and having an unfortunate incident that cemented him as a denied, unlucky superstar in the fans' minds (ensuring a lifetime of goodwill as such), then I think he'll live without royalties for minor PPVs like HIAC when that scenario would've likely seen him lose the belt heading into Mania season and end up in the midcard ladder match. The reaction immediately following his SummerSlam win (except over here where we were obviously ecstatic for him) was night-and-day compared to his promo giving up the belt one night later. The former was "ooohh is he ready or is he gonna flop?" The latter was "he's a star and this is heartbreaking for him but he's gonna come back better than ever!" Nothing gets a guy over with wrestling fans these days like some real-life martyrdom and being denied big opportunities.

As it stands he's possibly the favourite to win the Rumble and main event WrestleMania now, which is FAR more lucrative. Even Miz has a job for life now after main eventing 27 (something people look back at as a disaster these days). Give me being hot during peak time with a big Mania match over a title reign during the period WWE get killed in the ratings by NFL annually any day. Sure, even without injuries, Cena plans his schedule these days similarly to that.

You have to think of WWE as a long-term career plan for guys. It's not a short-term money-spinner, you take less now in the hope of something clicking later and cementing you with a well paid job for life. Balor is clicking right now and, in the time off, getting well trained in being an ambassador and face for the company. This period is setting him up for paydays that'll see him earn more in one match down the line than he would've during an autumn title reign.

He deff would of been team raw captain at survivor series if he wasn't hurt

Possibly jericko may not have existed the way it has if Finn was never hurt.

It was suppose to be Reigns vs Balor after Summerslam and possibly Ko/y2j and Rollins fighting for No 1 contender spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

One thing about Balor that baffles me is why isn't he a heel? Everything about him and his Demon King persona screams heel to me. Also let him talk and don't script everything he says. Injever really rated his promo ability before because it always sounded so....fake and rehearsed to me but after seeing his OTT appearance on Saturday and just him being himself on the mic you can see the difference.

I understand the desire to market him to kids and sell toys and merch but I think Finn as a baby face is a bad call and can see the fans turning on him after about 6 months. Especially the new kind of crowds that WWE seem to attract that like to get themselves and their chants over. There's only so many times you can see that Demon King entrance before it loses its lustre a bit. Hopefully it's saved only for Mania and maybe one or two big PPVS.

Just wanted to say I couldnt agree anymore with what Leggo has said. Finn when he returns is gonna have the entire "Universe" behind him. He got promoted to Raw and proved himself to be the best and won the HW Title within a month of his debut and then had to give it all up. Its an easy story to tell. I just hope that they keep his return a secret. Dont tease it, dont promote it, dont drop hints! Just have it be an all out surprise at the Rumble and have him enter either around the #10 mark to a ring full of people that he can clear out or enter at #30. Either way he should win it and look damn impressive doing it. 

For all the tv talk of Rollins and Owens being HHHs chosen champion  I think its fairly obvious that Finn is HHHs guy. And if you logically look at where WWE are targeting in 2017 as there main markets its Japan/Asia and the UK, and Finn just happens to be a HUGE star in both of those regions. Dont be surprised if the closing image of WrestleMania is Finn Balor holding up that red belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Dont think theres any chance finn closes mania. im not even sure if he will return in time and i wonder will they save his return for the night after mania.

if he does return i do think hell be in the title match but wont main event it.

sky88 wrote: »
    Dont think theres any chance finn closes mania. im not even sure if he will return in time and i wonder will they save his return for the night after mania.

if he does return i do think hell be in the title match but wont main event it.

He could be back anytime to be fair and easily could be the Rumble winner. We dont know for sure how close to 100 percent he is and he may even return if hes not fully fit. He could easily enter teh rumble late and win without exerting himself much physically and he could easily be kept out of the ring until Mania if WWE chose.

New Japan launched an english language web site just in time for WK11 next yera,

http://www.njpw1972.com/

You've got to be very naive if you think Balor is closing the show at Mania. He'll be behind Lesnar-Goldberg, Takers match, Cena's match and maybe Reigns too. So 5th from the top, maybe 4th if he's lucky.

And surely the booking of Rollins or Ortons big returns must give you pause in the "oh a long term injury always works out great on return"?

Monokne wrote: »
    You've got to be very naive if you think Balor is closing the show at Mania. He'll be behind Lesnar-Goldberg, Takers match, Cena's match and maybe Reigns too. So 5th from the top, maybe 4th if he's lucky.

To be fair, we have no idea exactly what WWE are booking for mania yet, its very early days. My guess is Goldberg v Brock and Rollins v HHH are most likely but WWE are known for changing their minds (Take Brock v The Wyatts last year) and injuries may occur botching plans. But I think while its unlikely Balor will close the show its hardly outside the realm of possibility.

Monokne wrote: »
    Not sure what you think is naive about one of WWEs most heavily pushed faces since John Cena in 05 returning from an injury in time to win the Rumble and close WM as a HW Champion. Just because Meltzer hasnt talked about it yet doesnt mean its not a logical conclusion to make. 

And like I said earlier which you ignored WWE are making heavy moves regarding pushing the product in both the UK and Japan/Asia. Finn is obviously a massive name in the UK wrestling world and he was so popular in NJPW that they didnt even consider him a gajin. NJPW makes moves into the US and launching an English language NJPW World service along with Floslam making some more noise is what I am hoping wakes WWE up and really leads to them letting the talent they have truely get themselves over. 

But of course I am just naive so what would I know ;)

• Advertisement

if hhh was in charge fully i could see him main event but not with vince.

i think cena main events this year. im not sure with who but i think AJ or taker. i think cena tying flair will be a big selling point for this years main event. cena/taker main events any mania even if its not the title match. i would not be surprised if its a triple threat to let Aj make up for the undetakers age.

i think cena main events this year. im not sure with who but i think AJ or taker. i think cena tying flair will be a big selling point for this years main event. cena/taker main events any mania even if its not the title match. i would not be surprised if its a triple threat to let Aj make up for the undetakers age.

Vince put him over Reigns on his first night on the main roster? Then had him win the new HW belt on his first PPV.

Vince put him over Reigns on his first night on the main roster? Then had him win the new HW belt on his first PPV.
    Yea I love how Smackdown is HHHs show and Raw is Vinces show and yet Owens and Balor have been HW Champ on Vinces show. Totally coincidental I suppose and Vince would never push somebody like Balor

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Is smackdown hunter show? Isn't everything still run by Vince & Kevin Dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is smackdown hunter show? Isn't everything still run by Vince & Kevin Dunne.

Apparently so....
    Also in Imaginationland there are two creative teams. The bad stuff written by Vince, the gold penned by HHH himself :rolleyes:

I didn't mean Vincent won't push him, I just feel he always wants bigger more established names in the main event, I don't think finn is at that level yet.

Also the notion that raw is Vinces and hhh is doing smack down is definitely wrong. If anything if you look at nxt the last 6 months without finn and the rest, the episodes have been completely missable and that's hhhs baby.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you think is naive about one of WWEs most heavily pushed faces since John Cena in 05 returning from an injury in time to win the Rumble and close WM as a HW Champion. Just because Meltzer hasnt talked about it yet doesnt mean its not a logical conclusion to make.

And like I said earlier which you ignored WWE are making heavy moves regarding pushing the product in both the UK and Japan/Asia. Finn is obviously a massive name in the UK wrestling world and he was so popular in NJPW that they didnt even consider him a gajin. NJPW makes moves into the US and launching an English language NJPW World service along with Floslam making some more noise is what I am hoping wakes WWE up and really leads to them letting the talent they have truely get themselves over.

But of course I am just naive so what would I know ;)

It wasn't necessarily directed at you specifically.

Look I think this is all common knowledge, but the goal was bring Balor up, make him a top guy right away because the brand needed one. He was due to work with Owens in September, a three way with Owens & Jericho in October, and a multi man match in November. They were gonna have him main event August through December to keep Reigns fresh and out of the title picture to be brought back into it for Mania season. To my eye, absolutely nothing has changed. Reigns looks to be arriving right back in the main event scene as was planned. I'm not saying it's beyond the realms of possibility, but the idea that a guy with little track record on the main roster is going to be main eventing ahead of Goldberg - Lesnar, Rollins - HHH, Cena - Whoever and Taker - Whoever...it just seems like such fantasy booking. This isn't like 2014 where the Bryan situation was forced upon them. They have options. And Balor, who is a super talent, doesn't connect with the audience anywhere close to that level. Last scene at Mania with him closing the show is less than 5% chance brother.:(

Even with the entire world wanting and fully behind Bryan in the main event Vince was still reluctant to do it. Also mon says finn is not nearly as over Bryan

I hear where you guys are coming from and your point isn't entirely without merit, but you also have to think of a show as separate to drawing power and name brand. For a start, yes, saying that Finn WILL main event WrestleMania right now is just untrue because not even Vince knows what the final match will be and likely won't until the week of at the earliest. Though I don't think anyone is saying that. But saying he definitely won't is equally as ridiculous because there's no way to tell. He could come back in a spot that's booked perfectly at the Royal Rumble and instantly connect with the fans then ride a wave of momentum leading into Mania that makes a main event unavoidable. If they're willing to drop enough money on McGregor for a full programme, then the natural fit is to put him with Finn as a fellow Irishman (and future key player in the company) and then, all of a sudden, Finn is rolling with the biggest active box office draw in all of combat sports and you'd be crazy not to have him in the main. Or they could mess up the booking of his comeback completely and he could drop down the card through no fault of his own, which is just as likely. There are so many variables in play that it's just impossible to tell.

You also can't say that because someone is a bigger name that they'll be higher on the card necessarily. That's just not how booking works. You book to suit the story you're telling during a show, because once the show starts and you're watching, they already have your money (and it doesn't even matter if you switch off during it like it does with TV). So if you're planning on having Brock roll over Goldberg and return the favour at Survivor Series, then at WrestleMania that makes no sense to go on last despite them both being huge names. If you've got Cena vs Undertaker with both men's career on the line, then you'd be mental to put Finn last against KO or whoever for the belt because once Cena or Taker retires the crowd will be flat after an emotional rollercoaster. And so on. Like I said, you book to suit the show, the stories you're telling through the matches, and how the live crowd/viewing audience will react. Name value means little to nothing at this stage, else The Rock's promo at last year's WrestleMania would've gone on last because he's the biggest star in Hollywood right now, never mind wrestling!

The point *I* made, which seems to have cascaded this debate which will have no satisfying ending because there's absolutely no way to judge, is that Finn's injury may have raised his stock in the long run. When he was already being established as a main eventer, he had this tragic thing happen to him so quickly after a massive high that it instantly created the kind of emotional connection with the audience that guys can spend 10+ years trying to build. So, because of that connection and that feeling of being denied that the audience had when he was injured, it'll be hard to not make him a bigger star upon his return because there's now an emotional reason for the audience to react (as opposed to just a superficial surprise pop that can die a night later) and care about what he does. And it's due to happen at such an important time that it could all work out extremely well for him, to the point he could even end up closing WrestleMania if all things break his way.

It is possible that his injury will help him create an emotional connection to the audience on his return. It's also possible it won't. I don't really understand how one can present it as fact until he's back. By the same token, the fans may not have been that fond of him yet to have been particularly gutted he went down. It's fluid.

In the WWF of decades ago, I think there would be a greater opportunity your logic held true. Stuff like Shawns head 'injury' in 95 or Hunters quad problems in 01 usually led to a surge in popularity. Now, with a more independently minded audience and booking so counter productive, it seems up in the air to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement