Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rollins return from injury earlier this year was in a sense was anti climatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

leggo wrote: »

The point *I* made, which seems to have cascaded this debate which will have no satisfying ending because there's absolutely no way to judge, is that Finn's injury may have raised his stock in the long run. When he was already being established as a main eventer, he had this tragic thing happen to him so quickly after a massive high that it instantly created the kind of emotional connection with the audience that guys can spend 10+ years trying to build. So, because of that connection and that feeling of being denied that the audience had when he was injured, it'll be hard to not make him a bigger star upon his return because there's now an emotional reason for the audience to react (as opposed to just a superficial surprise pop that can die a night later) and care about what he does. And it's due to happen at such an important time that it could all work out extremely well for him, to the point he could even end up closing WrestleMania if all things break his way.

i do actually agree that finn will be as hot as anything after coming back. its one of the reasons why i think they might leave his return untill after mania and hes the focal point after mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Monokne wrote: »
    It is possible that his injury will help him create an emotional connection to the audience on his return. It's also possible it won't. I don't really understand how one can present it as fact until he's back. By the same token, the fans may not have been that fond of him yet to have been particularly gutted he went down. It's fluid.

Yep, not untrue, but I think we saw that emotional connection happen in his promo giving up the belt so there is evidence. Him giving up the belt was the most powerful thing I've seen him do (in WWE or Japan) and the crowd reacted as such. To me there's no fear that people won't remember him because now he's won a Heavyweight Title at SummerSlam like! So the mainstream crowd has got just enough of a taste for him to know he's a big deal, connect with him, but also be hungry to see more. That's so much more powerful than giving him a Superman push just as he gets called up, and also real and organic too so it hits home even further.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rollins return from injury earlier this year was in a sense was anti climatic

Absolutely, and that's why I say that they could totally botch it with bad booking. Rollins' return pop was one of the biggest of the year, but then the next night they tried to turn him heel again and have Reigns be the face and, ugh, he was just dead in the water from there. Sound WWE...

But, to be fair to WWE, I tend to trust them when it comes to Mania season. When they've got a definite roadmap in front of them to what they're building towards and need to sell it they more often than not get it right.
    sky88 wrote: »
    i do actually agree that finn will be as hot as anything after coming back. its one of the reasons why i think they might leave his return untill after mania and hes the focal point after mania.

They could do that but I think it's all down to how his recovery is going, and I'd be quietly confident given the fact that they're bringing him back into the fold with public appearances etc and subtly reminding us "Hey, remember this guy?" just as the Rumble is coming up. It's not like his call-up from NXT where they only had one shot to get it right so held off and held off, he's been established now so I think (especially when you consider how this year's Mania was decimated with injuries) if they've got a big player who's healthy and can compete, they'll use him if they can. And there's only one natural place for him to be used given how he left: in the title picture.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/aj-styles-rumored-opponent-for-wrestlemania-33

That would be good and really rub it in TNAs face

Really like the sound of the Samoa Joe Rumble match debut

This is only a rumour

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/aj-styles-rumored-opponent-for-wrestlemania-33

That would be good and really rub it in TNAs face

Really like the sound of the Samoa Joe Rumble match debut

This is only a rumour

Story is made up :/

https://twitter.com/mikepwinsider/status/811430695922962432

WWE put up a poll today. 100 days out from Mania, who should main event. The results before it was pulled were...

40% AJ Styles
    12% The Undertaker
    10% Finn Bálor
    7% Goldberg
    5% John Cena
    4% Roman Reigns
    3% Bray Wyatt / Dean Ambrose / Kevin Owens / Sasha Banks / Seth Rollins
    1% Brock Lesnar / Charlotte Flair / The Miz
    4% Other

Guess hat wasn't the result they wanted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why not? They had 4% who chose Roman so he's over with someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why not? They had 4% who chose Roman so he's over with someone

WWE Staff forced to vote for him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

montyrebel wrote: »
    that sounds painful to watch

It's so mental how perceptions fluctuate. If WWE do something on the main roster, the default is to think it's lame. If they do the exact same thing on NXT or underground (e.g. the UK Championship), it's automatically amazing. If there's something in BritWres that nobody knows about, it's automatically amazing. But the second they do something mainstream, it becomes "painful to watch."

And now, despite years of British and Irish wrestlers working their arses off to make the indies into a thing, somehow WWE (of all people) have become the 'cool' thing and the sumtotal of all of British wrestling's work to build it into something sustainable that could last for the long run has become uncool. So Vince wins again and somehow the billionaire who runs the entire industry becomes the underdog because of clever marketing and nothing more.

I'm not criticising, just commenting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Oh but he's right, it will be painful to watch, Alex Shane is commentating.

Oh but he's right, it will be painful to watch, Alex Shane is commentating.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But jaysus let's let them have one episode air before we write it off like!

And, the thing is, while the WWE deal is better for wrestlers, WOS is much better for fans in the long-term as WWE could just pull all plans for the UK on a whim if things don't pan out (or it successfully kills WOS), whereas WOS don't have the resources to tie guys up in restrictive contracts like WWE do so could give great exposure to the BritWres scene without the risk of serious damage that a proven-competition killer like WWE brings. I've heard some stuff about the WWE UK contracts and they sound dodgy as **** when you consider WWE's potential agenda.

The worst thing WOS could do is lose interest in wrestling altogether and cancel the show and, in that case, everything goes back to the normal we all know and like now. WWE have a vested interest in no other promotion succeeding to a point so they have incentive to crush anything you enjoy at a moment's notice (and a long track record for doing so). It's baffling to me that people would want the latter more than the former!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kenny Omega did an interview with Yahoo Sports, link below if anyone wants to read it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/number-one-bullet-kenny-omega-142814569.html

Meltzer talks Brock and the original plan for next year's Mania.

Alvarez asked Meltzer if Braun Strowman was originally facing Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania. Meltzer replied: "No, no, no, Shane McMahon was." Alvarez is (obviously) in disbelief and Meltzer continues:

"That's why it was such a fight to get Goldberg because there were people who were very much pushing - 'we've got a plan, we've got a plan' ya know? And Vince ended up being convinced that Bill Goldberg was a better plan than Shane McMahon as a plan, which ruffled some key people's feathers."

He went on to say, "A lot of politics go through these decisions and a lot of people have different ideas of what will and won't get over. I'm not even saying this was personal agenda because this wasn't Shane I'm talking about although I'm sure Shane wasn't down for Goldberg vs. Lesnar at WrestleMania either but he's not in power. But the people who were, they felt that for whatever reason, that it wasn't the right idea but Vince overruled - I mean he didn't overrule them, it's Vince's rule - Vince ruled, Vince made the call and there were a lot of people against the finish of the Goldberg/Lesnar match and Vince ruled in that direction as well, so, just how things go."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

A lot of people dont like it and perhaps at points he may be exaggerating (though possibly only slightly) but Omega's take on pro wrestling in 2016 and going into 2017 is very interesting and I think on the money. It's up to all of us, as wrestling fans, to ensure there are options for both fans and wrestlers, beyond WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A lot of people dont like it and perhaps at points he may be exaggerating (though possibly only slightly) but Omega's take on pro wrestling in 2016 and going into 2017 is very interesting and I think on the money. It's up to all of us, as wrestling fans, to ensure there are options for both fans and wrestlers, beyond WWE.

I don't think he's exaggerating at all, the fact that being #1 in America isn't enough for WWE/Vince - They've now set their targets on other promotions, hoovering up their best talent just because they can. They need to be reined in, how that'll be done, I don't know.

I get it's business and being ruthless, but WWE should look to get their own house in order instead of raiding other's houses for the hottest thing in wrestling right now.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I don't think he's exaggerating at all, the fact that being #1 in America isn't enough for WWE/Vince - They've now set their targets on other promotions, hoovering up their best talent just because they can. They need to be reined in, how that'll be done, I don't know.

I get it's business and being ruthless, but WWE should look to get their own house in order instead of raiding other's houses for the hottest thing in wrestling right now.

It's a shame that anytime a wrestler even begins to make a name for himself WWE sign him or her up before they are anywhere near ready. Depriving the talent of the chance to develop and other companies to bear the fruit of that development.

Also it's worth considering how paranoid WWE are. ITV make a move and WWE are on it so quick. It's this mentality they have that if any company are making money from pro wrestling then, by right, WWE should be getting a share of that. It is the behaviour of a monopoly and their hoovering up of talents in this era of streamed pro wrestling is no coincidence.

It's on promoters (and wrestlers to a lesser extent) more than fans, to be fair. As a fan, if WWE owned everything and made me pay them X amount per month to watch all the wrestling I needed on the Network, that'd be so handy.

You should never, as a fan, feel like the job is up to you to make something big. Just sit back and enjoy everything as it's presented to you, give money where it's deserved and don't where it's not, and force the people in charge to act accordingly.

The only responsibility fans should have, really, is to hold promotions (from WWE down to the one down the local hall) accountable with their feet and wallet when things aren't good enough. That's how you make a difference. They're restaurants and we're hungry people. You don't walk into McDonalds and feel like you 'owe' them, they owe you quality product at a fair price and your money and repeated business evens up the transaction. Simple as that.

leggo wrote: »
    It's on promoters (and wrestlers to a lesser extent) more than fans, to be fair. As a fan, if WWE owned everything and made me pay them X amount per month to watch all the wrestling I needed on the Network, that'd be so handy.

You should never, as a fan, feel like the job is up to you to make something big. Just sit back and enjoy everything as it's presented to you, give money where it's deserved and don't where it's not, and force the people in charge to act accordingly.

The only responsibility fans should have, really, is to hold promotions (from WWE down to the one down the local hall) accountable with their feet and wallet when things aren't good enough. That's how you make a difference. They're restaurants and we're hungry people. You don't walk into McDonalds and feel like you 'owe' them, they owe you quality product at a fair price and your money and repeated business evens up the transaction. Simple as that.

Well I'm not suggesting you subscribe to every companies streaming service whether you like their product or not. Rather I'm saying that there's a wide range of products out there that are worth checking out to see if you like them, that these products are more available than ever before to fans and that the people who complain constantly about Big Macs but go back and buy them every day without giving Shake Shack a try really have no right at all to complain about their Big Mac being plain.

• Advertisement

Totally, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just saying there's no need for fan activism as the benefit of being a punter is just being able to sit back and take your pick of whatever is on offer. When I see wrestlers or promotions suggesting fans need to get behind alternatives*, though, I cringe...it's such insecurity and small-time marketing that you'd never see in the real business world.

*I know Omega didn't say this himself, I'm skipping ahead conversation-wise as that's usually where this leads.

Mike Goldberg leaving the UFC after 207 I wonder will he turn up at WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Mike Goldberg leaving the UFC after 207 I wonder will he turn up at WWE.

Possible but I doubt it, he's very good at following production ques etc and brought a great "professional" side to UFC commentary, but as far as I know he isn't short of gigs. Pretty sure he does a lot of ABC sports stuff and plenty of radio gigs.

He should come in as the 5th chair on Smackdown. Nothing beats 4 announcers like 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

WWE if they hire Mike Goldberg should just have him announce the PPVs. So Cole is the voice of Raw, Mauro is Smackdown and Goldberg is PPVs. It would really differentiate them all from each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Probably going to Bellator

• Advertisement

Smackdown had a bigger viewership this week than RAW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Smackdown had a bigger viewership this week than RAW.

Not suprising. On smackdown it's about the wrestling and it's shorter by an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

How many times has Smack done that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I wouldnt read much into it considering its the holidays.

Ben Gadot wrote: »

This is the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ben Gadot wrote: »

The Draft did back in July.....then it's way back to sometime in 2003 I believe. So it's pretty significant!

Bigger breakdown:
    RAW 2.974 million + 2.878 million + 2.715 million = 2.856 million
    SmackDown 2.885 million
    (i.e. RAW lost enough viewers after hour 1 for SD to overtake it)

Worth noting RAW was pretty unmemorable and on Stephen's Day, and Smackdown was a stacked card (Three Title matches + Return of Cena). Cowboys & also Detroit Lions were playing on Monday aswell, so if there was ever a week for SD to do it, it was this week. Nice little feather in the cap for AJ and the boys.

This is the first time.

I wouldn't like to take anything away from SD in that case, regardless of Raw being on the 26th.

SD may had a stacked card but it had that on merit.

Going on what the in the knows have said over the years there's no way Vincent would have knowingly put Raw in a position where it would be out performed by SD. He must have thought Braun v Rollins was money. :P

As someone posted over in the Smackdown thread before its start Smackdown basically had a free PPV worth of matches going on.

Smackdown as been the better show since the split it would be nice to see it continue.

It was the 3rd rated show on cable behind college football and the awesome Curse of Oak Island.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/another-rumored-opponent-for-the-undertaker-at-wrestlemania-33

Reigns vs taker no thanks

Could work if reigns becomes a mega heel

Although they faced off before Cena vs taker is a dream match and made for a Wrestlemania

As much as I can't stand Reigns I'd love someone even him to get super over and be the face of the company so Cena could have his heel run.

I think there could be huge money and great matches to be made with a heel Cena for a year or two.

Reigns will never be over, AJ or Nakamura could easily play that role.

I'm one of the guys who support Reigns and his work in the ring but beating Taker will do nothing for him unless as Coulson said they make him a heel and run with it.

Just let it be Cena and Taker

I could be wrong but I get the feeling Reigns is a bit of a slime ball dick in real life if the WWE let him be that he could get over as a major heel.

Getting over as anything would be the first step at making him a face of the company in the future if he can be a boo'ed out of the building as a proper heel then he can get cheered out of the building as a face at some stage.

Right now he is just floundering throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim.

Leaving the arm bands on isn't doing anyone a any favors.

If they had reigns beat taker there could be riots.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

If they had reigns beat taker there could be riots.

YES!!! and you would have an amazing heel with amazing heat. thats actually great booking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

BMMachine wrote: »
    YES!!! and you would have an amazing heel with amazing heat. thats actually great booking

Or we'd have Roman telling us he's not a bad guy and the commentators telling us every 5 minutes how he overcame the odds.

Part II.

BMMachine wrote: »

Roman could be a great heel but they don't want him to be one.

They would still try to make him a face and it would be horrible.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Roman could be a great heel but they don't want him to be one.

They would still try to make him a face and it would be horrible.

yeah thats kinda the problem. They could give this guy nuclear heat by having him beat taker and then beat Rollins for the belt the next night on Raw. Everyone would be talking about it and whoever they get to stand up to him (probably Rollins) would get so f**king over and they'd end up selling loads of merch and doing great business and actually livining up their main show.

they are so utterly committed to making this sanitised, repetitive and boring show though that they cant see the wood from the trees anymore. oh and whenever they do do something big, HHH or Stephanie or another McMahon has to make it all about them which just repeats the process again. Reigns - HHH last year was such a dud, "Hey Bailey!" chants going on for a main event no one cares about and they already know the outcome of. why bother with good storytelling anymore though when people lap up any old sh*t to record breaking levels (Jurassic World, Suicide Squad, Rogue One, Batman Vs Superman etc etc). I don't think WWE is entirely to blame for being as boring as they are right now tbh

I think the only reason they did hhh/Roman last year was cause they thought hhh would get booed and get the fans on Roman sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Reigns will never be over, AJ or Nakamura could easily play that role.

Easily is stretching it. AJ is pushing 40 & Nakamura has a lot of miles on the clock. WWE's biggest draw is the name value they have, that's what fills out the stadium come wrestle mania.
    I think the only reason they did hhh/Roman last year was cause they thought hhh would get booed and get the fans on Roman sides.
    They seem to still think HHH is a huge deal which he hasn't been in some time. The authority thing never drew heat since they feuded with Bryan. It killed the ratings, Rollins & the fanbase dead.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Easily is stretching it. AJ is pushing 40 & Nakamura has a lot of miles on the clock. WWE's biggest draw is the name value they have, that's what fills out the stadium come wrestle mania.

They seem to still think HHH is a huge deal which he hasn't been in some time. The authority thing never drew heat since they feuded with Bryan. It killed the ratings, Rollins & the fanbase dead.

I disagree that hhh isnt a big deal I still feel he is. Look at the pop he got at the rumble. Heso got to the stage like flair were the fans won't boo him however much he trys. But I do agree the authority has completely run the course when Bryan won the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ERG89 wrote: »

Well I think they misunderstood the fact that fans might not have liked triple h as a character but they respect him as a wrestler and he was never going to get booed.

This tweet just reminds me Roman seems like a bit of a d**k and would make a great heel.

https://twitter.com/WWERomanReigns/status/814622191778222085

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This tweet just reminds me Roman seems like a bit of a d**k and would make a great heel.

https://twitter.com/WWERomanReigns/status/814622191778222085

I think this may be in reply to Reigns bursting himself laughing while being held in a headlock by KO, who is throwing abuse into the crowd.

• Advertisement

You don't think if AJ or Nak got Reigns push that they wouldn't be over like hell? AJ was running away with that poll WWE.com had on who should main event mania with 40%, Reigns wasn't anywhere on it. Of course they deleted it immediately and pretended it never happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement