Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    TNA was sooo much better until Russo came on board. I dont blame Jarrett, he was trying to harness Russos ideas ala Vince instead of giving Russo free reign. But it started going downhill from there. Not disastrous but it definitely dipped in quality booking wise when Russo came on board.

VKM ....... need I say more

i hated how much tna always seemed to talk or rant about wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Well...looking the spoilers from the tapings, you won't be too happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Well...looking the spoilers from the tapings, you won't be too happy.

What's been taped? With last night being nearly live and tonight being the same, I assumed the first TV taping would be tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    What's been taped? With last night being nearly live and tonight being the same, I assumed the first TV taping would be tomorrow night?

I think hes referring to the Hornswoggle segment with Broken Matt from last night.

I think Matt gets away with it because his character is so hilariously bonkers, it doesn't feel like a dig at WWE or Vince like most of Vinnie Roo's WWE references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Monokne wrote: »
    Dutch and Jeff back working creative in TNA. Is it 2006 again?

I know he's 67, but it really is not ok for Dutch to be wearing that runner and sock combo. Dear God.
    15873190_618256921691733_8035478725384687847_n.jpg?oh=c22f4935ab9e43e5a2dda98bc18834ab&oe=591D5379

Is Dutch in one of those electric wheelchairs? Looks like he's piled it on in the space of 1/2 years.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Is Dutch in one of those electric wheelchairs? Looks like he's piled it on in the space of 1/2 years.

Hes in bad shape health wise, his lack of mobility more or less killed his time with WWE due to the road schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Hes in bad shape health wise, his lack of mobility more or less killed his time with WWE due to the road schedule

Sad to hear that, hope he doesn't end up the same as Percy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A documentary debuting at Sundance this year.

'Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker and Trials of a Free Press'
    We all know about the Hulk Hogan sex tape that took down Gawker; Brian Knappenberger's doc looks at the story behind the story, in which upper-upper-tax-bracket types have begun having an effect on how our nation's free press operates in the digital era. (Timely much?) We're sure that anti-Nick Denton contingent will have plenty of opportunities for schadenfreude here, but the film's real message regarding money, the media and manipulating information suggests that the game is much bigger than one Silicon Valley power player taking down one snarky gossiping-truth-to-power website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

If the theme of the movie(judging by the quote) is the unfair manipulation and influence of money players on the media & free press, they would really want to pick a better story to hang their hat on than the Hogan/Gawker one. I'm not sure there are more abhorrent, objectionable men then those the ran that site, nor was there any justification for them running that tape. As the courts concluded! Surely there has to be a better way to tell the story they want to tell?

Let's relive AJ Daulerio's quote on what sex tape he wouldn't feel justified airing while we're at it, shall we?
    Yes. In a deposition taped in 2013, Daulerio, who wrote the post in question, was asked about limits to Gawker’s sex-tape coverage.

Q. Well, can you imagine a situation where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy?

A. If they were a child.

Q. Under what age?

A. Four.
    5 year olds...fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair that quote is more a case of a guy being led into a hole by a lawyer. He took the bait, hook line and sinker, but it's nothing more than that.

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion he was led into a hole.

The lawyer hasn't asked any leading questions whatsoever. He asks:

"Under what age?"

Daulerio could say 18 like a normal human being. Instead he decides to be a prick because he doesn't like the line of questioning. As bad as it comes off in print it's even worse on video. He delivers it bragadociously, as though he wants his 'audience' to admire the manner in which he flouts common decency.

It is the quintessential example of giving someone enough rope to hang themselves. He is such a fu<king lowlife scumbag, he didn't even need to be led.

I admit that I followed this trial closely and that colours my opinion. Denton and Daulerio are the worst. Raw ego. Probably worship Donald Trump. Anyone who kept a close eye on it found them abhorrent, as evidenced by the frankly ridiculous sums the jury awarded.

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying do you really think he thinks it'd be okay to release sex tapes with 5-year olds? He's arrogant and morally reprehensible, but implying he's a pedophile or like that is ridiculous. It was a leading line of questions: "Under what age?" wasn't asked for no reason (for a start children have nothing to do with this case so it's not relevant), it was asked for him to hang himself and he did. It's a piss-poor deposition, nothing more.

If you were under the impression I was implying he was a pedophile, I 100% wasn't.

I was implying he is arrogant and morally reprehensible, as you put it, so we are on the same page. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Tommy End is now going by the name of Aleister Black following the NXT House Show in Ocala, Florida.
    He has changed both his Twitter and Instagram names to it too.

Tommy End is now going by the name of Aleister Black following the NXT House Show in Ocala, Florida.

Not a bad one, I like it.

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPAs06sjWsx/

Oh cena you teasing son of a

sky88 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPAs06sjWsx/

Oh cena you teasing son of a

He did it with AJ about a year ago...... pot is stirred nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He did it with AJ about a year ago...... pot is stirred nicely

Made a CM Punk reference too though last year. He's just a massive troll. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Just to add to all of this I mentioned a week or so ago that whatever plans were set for WM were changed hence Undertaker on Raw this week and Cena vs AJ at Royal Rumble. I love when stuff is unpredictable :D

It's best when unpredictable. It was so obvious that reigns vs hhh was the main event last year. This year it really could be any number of combinations of matches not just for the main event but the entire show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

LeeJM wrote: »
    Just to add to all of this I mentioned a week or so ago that whatever plans were set for WM were changed hence Undertaker on Raw this week and Cena vs AJ at Royal Rumble. I love when stuff is unpredictable :D

I may have missed something, Cena getting a title shot and Taker appearing on RAW don't really suggest any major changes.

Big Damo is now Killian Dain

https://twitter.com/KillianDain/status/817622826672910336?lang=en

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair that quote is more a case of a guy being led into a hole by a lawyer. He took the bait, hook line and sinker, but it's nothing more than that.

This seemed like interesting timing after we discussed AJ Daulerio yesterday. Esquire did a long form piece about him. It is an interesting read. He was molested as a child apparently, and he's currently trying to get sober of drink and drugs. Overall mind you, he doesn't come across well.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a51625/aj-daulerio-interview/

martyos121 wrote: »
    Made a CM Punk reference too though last year. He's just a massive troll. :pac:

Dunno now, Omega said on Twitter that he was done with Japan and how his future is changing.

If he does go, and they put him nxt for years, they are dumber than dirt.

Yeah, 6 months or a year in NXT is plenty enough to give the brand the rub and let the audience get familiar enough with Omega so there'll be a big buzz for his main roster debut.

I think omega would need a 6 month run in nxt as I do think he would need some settling in time for wwe audience unlike aj.

Also seeing him going againist Nakamura hero etc would be great. Have seen it mentioned he's signed on to njpw till 2018 but none from good websites.

Meltzer, Voices of Wrestling and Ryan Satin have all mentioned they've had multiple sources confirm to them that he has another year.

Not to say it's impossible to get out of a contract, but it sure seems like he has one.

He was always booked to have 8 weeks off after this week so he's likely just playing off Cena's tweet to get some pub.

Pwinsider are saying his contract is up at the end of January so I'll guess we'll know soon enough weather it's happening

Yeah, 6 months or a year in NXT is plenty enough to give the brand the rub and let the audience get familiar enough with Omega so there'll be a big buzz for his main roster debut.

The only audience to get to know him there would be the hardcore audience who already know him. He needs to come in pushed as the biggest deal in the world outside WWE, which he is. They can easily do that, but they wont. He doesn't need 6 months in NXT to 'learn how to work'.

NXT is garbage these days anyway.

Omega is the hottest thing in wrestling right now. I think they'd debut him at the Rumble or on the main roster right away to capitalise on the moment he's having, then have him learn WWE's ways and educate the crowd on the job. It's easily doable, think Jericho or Tazz coming to WWE in the past, or AJ last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »
    Have seen it mentioned he's signed on to njpw till 2018 but none from good websites.
    Meltzer, Voices of Wrestling and Ryan Satin have all mentioned they've had multiple sources confirm to them that he has another year.

Ahhhhhh Dave :o

ERG89 wrote: »
    Ahhhhhh Dave :o

in fairness i hadnt seen meltzer say anything on his contract. even though i dont like him hes generally right on this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Didn't Kenny Omega take shots at WWE last week? Think he said that WWE has monopolized the wrestling business and he seemed disinterested in going to WWE, or at least that he'd rather stay where he is. If he goes to WWE after what he said then he's an awful hypocrite.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't Kenny Omega take shots at WWE last week? Think he said that WWE has monopolized the wrestling business and he seemed disinterested in going to WWE, or at least that he'd rather stay where he is. If he goes to WWE after what he said then he's an awful hypocrite.

in fairness i think i take all wrestlers with a pinch of salt as they generally make hypocritical statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Riddle101 wrote: »

He will just say it was an angle !

leggo wrote: »
    Omega is the hottest thing in wrestling right now. I think they'd debut him at the Rumble or on the main roster right away to capitalise on the moment he's having, then have him learn WWE's ways and educate the crowd on the job. It's easily doable, think Jericho or Tazz coming to WWE in the past, or AJ last year.

I think Aj and the 205 guys are showing that the PC/NXT route is not that important. If guys can work they can be used straight away and (as you said well) learn the rest over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dont watch NJPW so dont really know who Kenny Omega is

Is he an Aj Styles type guy ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    dont watch NJPW so dont really know who Kenny Omega is

Is he an Aj Styles type guy ??

he wrestled a strong style match in new japan last week and is now considered the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

showpony1 wrote:
    he wrestled a strong style match in new japan last week and is now considered the greatest of all time.

That's a little condescending/inaccurate. He's had a fantastic 18 months or so where he's been consistently impressive particularly in the last 12 months, proving himself to be a top talent that isn't working for WWE. He also wrestled a strong style match last week that just so happens to be a likely MOTY candidate if not winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Also, he loves Street Fighter, which is the only reason I know him.

Seems like a sound bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

showpony1 wrote: »

Right..... thing is when you're throwing shade like that, it's helpful to have an in depth knowledge of the topic. Do you watch Omega regularly?

The only audience to get to know him there would be the hardcore audience who already know him. He needs to come in pushed as the biggest deal in the world outside WWE, which he is. They can easily do that, but they wont. He doesn't need 6 months in NXT to 'learn how to work'.

NXT is garbage these days anyway.

I am sure you're a bright guy but this is so badly thought out and dismissive as to border on parody.

There was a bigger buzz for Balor coming off NXT than there would have been coming straight from Japan. I think the same would hold true here, and you would also have footage of him you could expose to the masses where he's coming off like a giant star. If it didn't, at worst it would be a wash and you'd still...

Boost the brand, which is important because it's a touring company and the numbers it pulls outside of Florida are based on the real stars, like Joe & Nakamura, and you have to constantly replace them when they move up. The whole key to NXT is making it feel like the hot product. You're not doing 3000 people in the 3 arena with Roderick Strong on top.

No one said he needed to learn how to work.

NXT now is the same as it was in 2014 when it was the darling of the hardcore fan. The weekly show is very basic and features some good matches, some developmental matches, and some mediocre matches. They build to the quarterly peak and those shows are the most consistently good shows in the business, both in the ring and in the booking. Go and pick one show from a halfway point between two Takeovers in 2014 or 2015 and remind yourself. Sure, the novelty buzz isn't there. The product hasn't changed much though.

The only people that watch NXT are Network Subscribers, that's all. It's not on tv. Who are they building him up to then, and why? So why would it be so hard to explain to the audience that he just a had a huge matchin Japan, have some interviews with people about it. Build him up each week. They could easily get NJPW footage too.

NXT is a vanity project for HHH. It was good when Ryan Ward (think that's his name) was booking it, but he's on Smackdown now. Funny how that's the best show every week? It's nothing like it was.

Ugh, the vanity project stuff. Christ I might as well resubscribe to the Torch. Ok then :)

Right...ok.

• Advertisement

Nxt is more easily accessible then new Japan for most people. I think a lot of people are overestimating how well omega is known.

Yeah but it's wrestling, all they have to do is tell people he's a huge star before he comes. Then when he comes, they'll see him as a huge star.

They had vignettes of Ted Di Biase play before he came, telling people he was a millionaire. It's as easy as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They also had vignettes of Nathan Jones and Mordecai. :)

Now there's a couple of lads that could have really benefited from 2 years in NXT

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

The whole point of having guys like Finn, Zayn, Neville, Joe, Roode, Aries and Nakumura in NXT (besides giving the roster star power) is to have the guys like Authors of Pain, No Way Jose, Revival who aren't well experienced and travelled guys learn from them by working with them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement