Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Switch - is Sink or Bath on?!

Options
  • 03-04-2015 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Erhm, when ya turn on the Immersion which feature is on - Sink or Bath?!? The top-half of the switch is pressed-in and bottom-half of the switch is sticking-out, so, does that mean Sink is activated or does it mean Bath is activated?! (Sink is written at the top, Bath is written at the bottom.) Had thought the other day when I was having a Shower that the water didn't seem to be very hot for long and then it occurred to me maybe I'm using the switch backways. :rolleyes::( 'Twould be like something I'd do alright. :rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mwrpTdsVg38XPvGPLYK--2A.jpg

In this example the power is off and the switch is set for sink.

assuming that the switch is wired correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Erhm, when ya turn on the Immersion which feature is on - Sink or Bath?!? The top-half of the switch is pressed-in and bottom-half of the switch is sticking-out, so, does that mean Sink is activated or does it mean Bath is activated?! (Sink is written at the top, Bath is written at the bottom.) Had thought the other day when I was having a Shower that the water didn't seem to be very hot for long and then it occurred to me maybe I'm using the switch backways. :rolleyes::( 'Twould be like something I'd do alright. :rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

The pressed in part of switch is selecting what is written beside it.

It can actually be wired for the opposite way as well. But that would be confusing, but shows they can be wired incorrectly, so that selecting "bath" is not a guarantee that the bigger element is selected. (It is a guarantee once tested and shown to be correct)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

An agricultural way to check is with a cold tank and all other power off;
    1. Immersion off. ESB meter wheel barely or not rotating.
    2. Bath on, meter wheel rotates at a noted speed.
    3. Sink on, meter wheel rotates at a notably slower speed than bath (2).

If not as above, a broken circuit and/or incorrect wiring.

You can actually tell by listening to the cylinder as well. Two tones can be heard with ear against it. Lower tone is bath, higher is sink.

It is possible to have an immersion incorrectly wired, and still give a faster and slower meter disc spin from bath/sink selection with the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Bruthal wrote: »

It is possible to have an immersion incorrectly wired, and still give a faster and slower meter disc spin from bath/sink selection with the switch.

Unless a complete series wiring botch up, how could it be incorrectly wired and give respectively high and low speeds for bath and sink?

• Advertisement

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Unless a complete series wiring botch up, how could it be incorrectly wired and give respectively high and low speeds for bath and sink?

Neutral of flex connected to Bath of switch, bath of flex connected to neutral of switch, sink connected as it should be. That's one of 2 combinations of wrongly connected switch.

With the above example, with bath selected, the bath element works properly, albeit with reverse polarity.

Select sink, and its bath and sink elements in series.

So the meter will spin faster and slower when bath/sink selected. And another problem is, with both elements in series, the stat is out of circuit.

While we can say the above is a serious mistake, it does show that a faster and slower meter disk is not absolute proof.

Advertisement