If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home cinema amp

Options
  • 03-04-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm looking for some help about AV receivers. I have a Samsung ue48h6400 tv and was looking at the pioneer vsx-924 as a possible system. I have sky, a blu ray player and a Nintendo wii and would like to run the lot through the amp. Given the systems would feed into the amp and then to the to tv would I still have surround off Netflix from the smart TV or would I need to use an arc cable to do this? Also I have a seagate go-flex storage device. Will I be able to hook this up to the amp over the wifi so I can listen to music over the speakers.

Regarding speakers what advice do you have about them. I don't want to spend a fortune so wonder would the Yamaha or pioneer ones you have at around £100 be ok? Or should I spend a bit more. Or maybe go for a cheaper amp and better speakers? Also I have a glass stand for the tv and wonder if that is likely to cause issues with vibrations from the centre speaker.

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

MCCARTHYBR wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for some help about AV receivers. I have a Samsung ue48h6400 tv and was looking at the pioneer vsx-924 as a possible system. I have sky, a blu ray player and a Nintendo wii and would like to run the lot through the amp. Given the systems would feed into the amp and then to the to tv would I still have surround off Netflix from the smart TV or would I need to use an arc cable to do this? Also I have a seagate go-flex storage device. Will I be able to hook this up to the amp over the wifi so I can listen to music over the speakers.

Regarding speakers what advice do you have about them. I don't want to spend a fortune so wonder would the Yamaha or pioneer ones you have at around £100 be ok? Or should I spend a bit more. Or maybe go for a cheaper amp and better speakers? Also I have a glass stand for the tv and wonder if that is likely to cause issues with vibrations from the centre speaker.

Thanks
    Brendan
    Hi Brendan.

The Pioneer VSX924 is a good choice.
    It has plenty of connections and features.

The TV will pass Dolby Digital or DTS through the Optical port depending on the audio source it receives from "over the air" sources such as Netflix.
    That TV doesn't pass either of those formats through the Optical port for devices connected through HDMI, instead it will pass a Stereo PCM signal.

I would connect all HDMI sources direct to the Amp and one HDMI to the screen. For Netflix use can use the optical connection and get 5.1 provided the show has a 5.1 audio track or use the ARC connection.

Using the 924 you could connect your storage device through the network and stream music from it to the speakers.

Your glass rack will not cause any vibrations from the center speaker. I also use a glass rack myself and have no issue ant all. The center speakers really only does vocals in 5.1 so not much vibration there. Even for multi channel stereo they would be minimum vibration of any at all.

Coming to the speakers. I would go a little up in the range as the 924 is capable of driving much more than the £100 5.1 pack.
    Have a look at:

Tannoy SFX 5.1 priced at £129.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-100504-sfx51.aspx

JBL Cinema 510 priced at £149.95 (Excellent value for money)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200854-cinema-510.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MCCARTHYBR

Hi Kenny. Thanks for your reply. I've a few more questions:
    - what ARC or optical cable would you recommend and which is the easier solution?
    - what are the Polk Audio TL1600 speakers like and can these be delivered?
    - how much are wall brackets?
    - is it possible to pay in Sterling for delivery to Dublin?
    - is it worth upgrading the cabling?
    Thanks
    Brendan

Hi Kenny. Thanks for your reply. I've a few more questions:
    - what ARC or optical cable would you recommend and which is the easier solution?
    - what are the Polk Audio TL1600 speakers like and can these be delivered?
    - how much are wall brackets?
    - is it possible to pay in Sterling for delivery to Dublin?
    - is it worth upgrading the cabling?
    Thanks
    Brendan
    Hi McCarthybr.

what ARC or optical cable would you recommend and which is the easier solution? - The easiest way is to connect everything to the amp and use the one HDMI to the screen for both input to the screen and ARC output from TV to receiver.

- what are the Polk Audio TL1600 speakers like and can these be delivered? - The POLK speakers are very good indeed, originally retailed at £300. They are in store only but if taking along with an amp I could bend the rules just this once ;) 

- how much are wall brackets? - With the Polk Audio speakers the brackets are built into the speaker.

- is it possible to pay in Sterling for delivery to Dublin? - You can pay in sterling no problems at all and have shipped anywhere in Ireland.

- is it worth upgrading the cabling? - The POLK does not come with any cable at all. so cable would be required.
    Cable starts at just 99p per meter:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-100/gale-symphony-100

A sublink would also cost £19.95 for a 7.5m one (Depending how long you need - Where the sub will be placed)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-interconnects/cambridge-audio/aud100-7.5m/camb-aud100-7.5m

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MCCARTHYBR

What kind of wire would you recommend to get a decent sound out of the speakers? The front ones will be close but the rear ones are likely to need 10-12m of cable for drops etc. Also will I need to plug the wires?
    thanks
    Brendan

What kind of wire would you recommend to get a decent sound out of the speakers? The front ones will be close but the rear ones are likely to need 10-12m of cable for drops etc. Also will I need to plug the wires?
    thanks
    Brendan
    QED Anniversary XT is excellent cable http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-100619-silver-anniversaryxt.aspx?swapstore=1.  Being silver plated it will give improved detail and clarity over regular copper only cable.  Also the white finish can aid in concealing cables.

Regards Stephen

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.