Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your booze limit

• 04-04-2015 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

What's your booze limit?

With wine, I can only really have one bottle; it used to be two but now I'm getting older, I can't tolerate it anymore and I get tired.
    If it's lager or cider, I can drink five cans and I'm full. Same with pints.
    What about you?

Are you a bottomless pit when it comes to booze or are you p*ssed after two glasses of sherry?
    Or do you just get tired/emotional?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

A dozen pints is the tipping point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jazzdude18

ewww cider, I drank that and it gives me no happy feeling. its just a drunk all over the place, come on. apples are great, but cider? come on youtube.com/watch?v=HApMhqwaI10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I used skull back 10 pints and the like, now I'd cradle 2 or 3 drinks for the night. Prefer it that way. I enjoy the taste of drink and can get into a good zone fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If I'm drinking beer or cider, I reach a point after about five or six where I just feel too 'full' to drink anymore. It's annoying because I wouldn't even be that drunk after that many. I can tolerate about a naggin and a half of well diluted vodka. I simply can't tolerate shots of tequila. Immediate vom anytime I've done them. Sambuca or Jagerbombs don't have much of an effect on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Tonight, it's two cans. Mainly as we have some right throwback licencing laws. And I forgot about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I used skull back 10 pints and the like, now I'd cradle 2 or 3 drinks for the night. Prefer it that way. I enjoy the taste of drink and can get into a good zone fairly quick.

Aye, pretty much the same as myself, I never really count the drinks, but it depends upon my mood whether I want to just get merry and let my hair down for a bit, or just mellow out. Merry would usually mean a few pints and a chat, mellow would be spirits and solitude.

I could never drink wine, any time I so much as take even a sip, it's just horrible tasting and dry, and cider? Rip the stomach out of ya, violent throwing up and I wouldn't even be finished a longneck. Bulmers is vicious for it, but bourbon on the other hand - could drink it all night. That, and Baileys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Varies depending on form. Last weekend stopped at 8 pints, some nights might nurse 2-3. Average would be about 5. Even then i notice it for most of the next day. 10 years ago I could do the 8 pints, plus vodkas and red bull/coke no problem, try that now and i would be dieing the next day, and the second day possibly written off as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I've cut down a bit recently.

Apparently you only have a drink problem if you sup more than your doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I try to take it easy. There's better things in life than alcohol.

Just that alcohol kinda compensates for not having them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jamesoneill

5-6 pints 2 nights a week

Was hospitalised more than once and spent time in treatment centre in my younger days

Stubbornly rejected AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Depends,can go on an all day session including night club or sometimes 6 or 7 pints will have me heading home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I couldn't tell you an amount off hand, but I know when I've enough. Generally it's when I go quiet. Then it's time for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'd say around 12 pints, more than that and it's a very thin line between being drunk and barely able to function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It usually depends on how I'm feeling on a particular day.

There's times when I could have a rake of drink, be drunk (not messy) and other times I could have 4-5 pints and I'd be away home for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

8 to 16 pints depending on time of day, food taken in, water aboard. Sometimes I surprise myself with what I can or can't take in a session.

I hardly ever drink, the cost/benefit analysis is clearly in favour of avoidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

5-6 pints 2 nights a week

Was hospitalised more than once and spent time in treatment centre in my younger days

Stubbornly rejected AA

No going off the deep end again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The limit is directly linked to the money in wallet index.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

Skies the limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Candie wrote: »
    I hardly ever drink, the cost/benefit analysis is clearly in favour of avoidance.

Usually anything that's fun has a horrendous cost/benefit analysis.

But your 100% right it's a ****ing waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jamesoneill

No going off the deep end again?

Never say never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

That's the nature of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Back when I was 19-22 I used to put away a 70cl of vodka and then some beers after. Well and truly trashed at that stage. Yeah. Had a bit of an issue with drink. But anyway nipped it in the bud pulled back on drink giving up spirits and now I drink 5 or 6 beers on the session! That said generally the beers are of the crafty kind and mostly over 5%. Very happy now with my relationship with alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Depends on the drink. Used to drink Beer, Cider, Stout and Wine most of my life and to be honest I couldnt really handle it.. Random blackouts and messiness were a common theme. Moved on on to Gin and Tonic about a year ago (exclusively) and I can drink doubles all night and be fine and suffer very little hangover the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I never acquired a taste for alcohol, or a fondness for its effects, thankfully. After two pints of anything, I just feel 'full'. I don't think I've ever really been properly drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

If it's at a gaff party I'd put away 20 bottles and whatever else I can get my hands on

Down the pub 4 pitchers would be my limit, that's about 16 pints

I tend to stay away from spirits, drink them too fast and get way too fúcked up too fast. They also don't mix too well with other.. ahem..recreational substances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Mostly drink spirits so a full bottle of cheap vodka would be standard enough practice plus numerous shots after. If I had to go pub drinking anywhere from 10-16 or so. Not a one for pint drinking for long periods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Yeah I think about 16 pints is roughly a standard night out.
    Sounds like a lot really saying I had 16 pints but it's not really considering the time frame. A pint every 30 mins or so on average I'd say would be the norm for a lot of young lads anyway.
    Monday to Thursday I wouldn't have a drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

After about 10 Bourbons I'm quite happy to go asleep.....like right now!

Pints are fine but boy do I get a Hang over!! Rarely have a hangover from Bourbon or Rum thank god!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

RayM wrote: »
    I never acquired a taste for alcohol, or a fondness for its effects, thankfully. After two pints of anything, I just feel 'full'. I don't think I've ever really been properly drunk.

Sorry but anything?? You have two pints of all pintable drinks? No you haven't and I don't get this I've never acquired a taste for alcohol!! What drinks were you having, everything isn't pints you know!! Holier than thou attitude right there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Mint Aero wrote: »

The same, don't really drink any more because of meds, but four pints would be my limit for a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Alcahol is for losers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

househero wrote: »

Alcahol is for losers

Yaeh rgiht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

eternal wrote: »
    Yaeh rgiht.

Hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Don't really know now as drugs are more my game these days, and you generally don't drink as much while on them, but I used to swamp about 10 pints and a few whiskeys throughout the night and stay in reasonable form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

2 or 3 pints or on the rare occaision, I'd push it to 4 or 5, but that'd be over quite a stretch and there'd have to be food involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I mostly drink an alcoholic ginger beer these days. It has slightly less alcohol than most pints but even then I'd only drink 3 or 4. I do occasionally add a whiskey to it. :o If I'm not drinking that I'm probably drinking an Old Fashioned but I'd rarely have more than 2 of those. I only drink once a week, if I finish work early on a Friday (so nothing this week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really think the majority of posts here are bull****e.

16 pints ...yea go on.

A 70 cl bottle of vodka and some beers after.....of course, and you drove everybody home, got chips and work the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

murpho999 wrote: »

16 pints ...yea go on.

A 70 cl bottle of vodka and some beers after.....of course, and you drove everybody home, got chips and work the next day.

Lol so much this. They were probably proud posting about all this as well.

Although if they're true and I was their regular publican I'd be happy out. Probably give them a "special" rate on their pints and a few words of encouragement to feed their ego about how great they are for being able to drink so much alcohol to keep them buying that many every time they come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Candie wrote: »

Im the same and im still ducking broke. Add that to your equation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

murpho999 wrote:

murpho999 wrote:

murpho999 wrote:
    16 pints ...yea go on.

I can say that this would be fairly normal behaviour among lads. plenty get 6-8 cans in before they've even jumpednin a taxi to town, factor in a few more pints, 2 or 3 shots and a couple of Jameson gingers later in the night and 16 is an average maybe.

it does sound a lot when you think of it like sitting down in front of 16 pints. but yeah, over the course of a night, its far more common than you'd think.

think even an early day like six nations decider, you're out in the pub early and you stay out til 3.30 am. easily done

murpho999 wrote: »

16 pints ...yea go on.

It's hardly that remarkable.

I'd know fellows who'd drink 20-25 pints. Now it would be over the bones of an evening...and they are alcoholics...but certainly wouldn't say 16 is something outrageous, particularly amongst older heads.

I myself would drink 10 or so, then I just tire of it. If I'm out out, might switch to vodka after that. That would be once a week, I don't drink at home in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I drink at home mostly, but if I'm in the pub 3 pints is enough.

In my 20s I could drink a lot and made nothing of getting up for work the next day.

I think for most people the older you get the affects of a hangover are a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My limit on a night out is about 8 drinks, which would be a mix of pints, shots and vodka. That'd have me pretty drunk.

Usually drink at home with himself. Bottle of wine and maybe one or two bottles of beer would be my limit, that'd be had slowly (from 8pm-3am) and have me tipsy by the time I go to bed.

Usually I'll drink a bottle of wine per week. I'm not a big drinker anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I always hit a wall when I get to the 4th pint. I could never drink anymore than 4 pints in one night as I just feel too full. In my early 20's when I was going clubbing, I would drink 2 or 3 pints of cider and then a couple of vodka and red bulls and that would do me for the night. I've never tried any shots, wouldn't have any desire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It depends when I start. I've often gone out in the afternoon for the footy and ended up in a nightclub. Sometimes I've gone out early evening and ended up at house parties. I'm generally the last idiot standing, "having the craic"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It depends on when I've eaten also. I can't drink on a full stomach which is why I hate weddings and Christmas parties. Once I have the meal I'm fooked. Ideally I'd want to wait a couple of hours after eating before I start drinking. I could never mix food and alcohol for some reason.

It depends on when I've eaten also. I can't drink on a full stomach which is why I hate weddings and Christmas parties. Once I have the meal I'm fooked. Ideally I'd want to wait a couple of hours after eating before I start drinking. I could never mix food and alcohol for some reason.

Same here, usually only have a pint or two before the wedding meal and drink water during it. Then I'm off. I find the more I drink before food, the less I drink after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Depends on a few different things, but 6 or 7 pints would be about as far as I could go and stay 'good drunk'.

osarusan wrote: »
    Depends on a few different things, but 6 or 7 pints would be about as far as I could go and stay 'good drunk'.

Yeah, there is a plateau between about 5 and 9 pints, the 2 hours of normal fun before things start getting hectic, people start thinking of shots and fat frogs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement