Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping tablets, how long for dependency? risks?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I have been through a bout of major anxiety a few years back due to a marriage problem. I was prescribed sleeping tablets at the time. I'm well aware of the negativities around sleeping tablets, but I found them very helpful at the time, - I was truly going through a crisis over a period of a couple of months or more and genuinely unable to function at work the next day due to broken sleep routine. So, I would say, it was an extreme case where it was the lesser of evils. To be honest, I don't know much about them though, in terms of risks etc.

Anyway, to be honest I seem to be going into another "episode" of my previous crisis, and have some tablets left in the drawer. I'm ot sure if I could have managed to get back into a decent sleeping pattern without them during that episode.

I took a half 2 nights during the week and they helped greatly with getting me to sleep and giving me a break from my anxiety. I am thinking about asking the doctor to prescribe some more as I can feel the fatigue coming on from my anxiety.

I can see the danger of them, in the sense that the can be seductive during difficult times.

I am wondering, how long, and what extent of usage does it typically take to develop a dependency? Is it safe to say take a half tablet a couple of nights over 6 weeks or so?

Thanks. and any advice is genuinely appreciated.

Advertisement