Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with choosing a pair of binoculars

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Both these pairs would be regarded as pretty advanced so if you're a beginner it might be advisable to go for something in the 15 x 70 range.

Remember you'll need a quality tripod also as these are too heavy to be hand-held, unless you're Mr Universe ;)

If I had to choose it would be the 20 x 80 but they're both excellent, under 100 sterling for that amount of binocular is ridiculously good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a tripod as well as I want to get the kids into astronomy as well, so it's not only for me. If I get this tripod, will I need a tripod mount for the binoculars as well? I notice that the tripod was purchased together with the binoculars so it must be a good fit.

Sorry for all the questions, I want to get all the gear at the same time so we can start sky gazing ASAP - weather permitting of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

m4r10 wrote: »
    I want to get the kids into astronomy as well, so it's not only for me.

Enter this. That'd keep them busy, you could get lucky.

I'm not connected with it in anyway.

Answer is C.

Edit:SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If I get this tripod

Personally I wouldn't go for that, its more suitable for digital cameras and won't have the solidity to support heavy-duty binoculars.

I have this tripod for a video camera and it just about supports my 15 x 70s, they came with an L-connector which screws into the quick-release plate on the tripod.

So for those pro binoculars an even more robust tripod will be required... I would go for this.

Thanks, I see the latter tripod is available only on amazon.com, not on the UK one. I'll see if I can find one closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

As the title says, I want to buy a pair of binoculars for astronomical viewing. I was looking at these 2 pairs:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007UQNTU/ref=gno_cart_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71008-25x70-Skymaster-Binoculars/dp/B003AM87Q4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1428112551&sr=8-8&keywords=Celestron

Can someone recommend one over the other? Or maybe are there any better binoculars in that price range?

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TS-Optics-Binoculars-Broadband-Multicoating-TS1570E/dp/B007G4XEWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428405915&sr=8-1&keywords=TS+optics+15x70

It is a decent 15x70 binocular which is superior to the Celestron Skymaster based on the features listed. It will give you a brighter image of the night sky than the 20x80 and particularly the 25x70 you linked to. Also if you opt for anything above 15x magnification then you will need to spend a lot of money on a tripod that will be able to handle the weight and more importantly the extra magnification, otherwise you will get a very jumpy image of the night sky that will be very frustrating for you. I have the binocular listed above under the Celestron badge, it's called the Celestron Cavalry. I got it in the states but it doesn't appear to be available here, but from what I can tell it is the same binocular as the one I linked to above. On the subject of tripods, the one I use for it cost me 50 euro and it barely does the job. Ideally I need a better one. And that's just to handle a 15x70. As I said, anything above that in both magnification and weight will need a very solid tripod indeed, which of course would cost you extra.

Thanks TC, I'll add the above binoculars in the mix, I'm still in the research stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont waste money getting anything "beginner" with a view to upgrading later, anything you buy you'll be itching for an upgrade 5 minutes after its out of the box. Max out your budget and get the best equipment you can, use it for a couple of months and you wont be a beginner anymore...

Advertisement