Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing faulty Ariva 120 combo box

• 04-04-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

Don't know too much about Saorview or satellite but I have had a combo box for a few years and enjoy free satellite tv.

My ariva 120 combo box has failed on HDMI output ( SCART output is ok).
    However I noticed, from new, that sound often failed on HDMI and it had to be switched off then on.

Also, I cannot receive RTE1 since they changed frequency. I get RTE2 , TV3 TV4 etc.

So, I am looking for a replacement box which will give me RTE1 and will , obviously, give me HDMI output.

I use a flash drive for occasional recording and would like to continue with this option too.

What would be a good replacement box. Should I go with another Ariva ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

rock22 wrote: »
    Don't know too much about Saorview or satellite but I have had a combo box for a few years and enjoy free satellite tv.

However I noticed, from new, that sound often failed on HDMI and it had to be switched off then on.

Also, I cannot receive RTE1 since they changed frequency. I get RTE2 , TV3 TV4 etc.

So, I am looking for a replacement box which will give me RTE1 and will , obviously, give me HDMI output.

I use a flash drive for occasional recording and would like to continue with this option too.

Second hand amiko alien 2, would be a nice upgrade without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Also, I cannot receive RTE1 since they changed frequency ...

... So, I am looking for a replacement box which will give me RTE1

That's highly unlikely to be anything to do with the box, it will be due to poor signal that it has to work with, & you won't get the 2nd multiplex (RTE1, RTE1 +1, RTE jr., UTV Ireland) on the replacement box either. More than likely the services you do have are only borderline receivable.

Usually this is due to deficiencies in your aerial system, could be as simple as a dodgy plug where it connects to the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

Thurston? wrote: »
    That's highly unlikely to be anything to do with the box, it will be due to poor signal that it has to work with, & you won't get the 2nd multiplex (RTE1, RTE1 +1, RTE jr., UTV Ireland) on the replacement box either. More than likely the services you do have are only borderline receivable.

Usually this is due to deficiencies in your aerial system, could be as simple as a dodgy plug where it connects to the box.

Thanks Fresh Pots/Thurston.

The signal for RTE2 ( 690000/8M v1102 A1202 P8190) shows intensity of 81% and quality of 90%. Would have thought these were good values?
    When I attempt to tune in RTE1 I get the scanner to reach 740000 and then it just reports a fail.

I will have a look at amiko alien 2. Local shops has a 4IFE model and a Triax .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The signal for RTE2 ( 690000/8M v1102 A1202 P8190) shows intensity of 81% and quality of 90%. Would have thought these were good values?
    When I attempt to tune in RTE1 I get the scanner to reach 740000 and then it just reports a fail.

The only way to give a definitive verdict on the signal is with accurate, unit measurements (voltage for intensity, errors in the bitstream for quality).

It's possible there could be a source of interference that only affects mux. 2, such as an RF modulator on or near the same channel: do you have anything like this in your system e.g. a Sky box feeding several rooms?

Thanks again for taken time to reply .
    No , I have no Sky box. However I do have wifi router.and some Bluetooth devices.
    I will recheck all connections.
    I saw this today in DID
    http://www.did.ie/tvs/samsung-40-smart-full-hd-3d-led-tv-ue40h6500stxx-prd?gclid=Cj0KEQjwl_6oBRDHxNGz6ueJufMBEiQAvm_k_gLPJ_mBiYBJ7xHWjFJ0jqYAWgiBvOPHR_j4Vo34T9IaAr4Q8P8HAQ

It was advertised as having built in Saorview and Satellite tuners. Could not talk to sales rep as they were busy but I might consider repplacing TV, which is now quite old, with something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

IMO Smart Tvs are a ripoff. I don't know this specific Tv but consider this. The Smart functions are usually obsolete before you get them home and very restricted on the Irish market. You usually only get the apps the maker decides. Things like the web browser are crap. Recording may be restricted to whatever you are watching. Can you mix terrestrial and satellite in one favourites list? Can you easily switch between terrestrial and satellite? Is full 7 day satellite EPG (FreeSat) only available when set to UK, breaking Saorview compatibility?
    A decent non-Smart HD TV and separate box could be far more versatile, and future proofed, for similar money.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Second hand amiko alien 2, would be a nice upgrade without breaking the bank.

I am taking your advice.
    Just a quick question.
    Should I go with Emigma2 or Spark ( or does it matter?)

I have found these two sites.
    https://www.satellitetv.ie/amiko-alien-triple-tuner
    http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-alien-2.html
    Big difference in price. I wonder is one better than other when it comes to backup service etc?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The box comes with Spark as it's default operating system. You can switch over to Enigma 2 in a few minutes. Both systems are installed at all times.
    In my experience both of the above suppliers offer good service. In reality you will find almost all support and help you need here on Boards.

Depending on your own habits, you may set it up and forget it or tinker around with it's endless possibilities. Many people find these boxes addictive toys ;) If you ever mess up Enigma it's easy to switch back to Spark or re-install Enigma.

There are several threads on the terrestrial forum for these boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

First off your problem is your current box. This is either a hardware fail or a corrupt software issue.

To rule out the latter download the firmware here.

Its a zipped file. Extract it to a USB key. Insert in the box. Go to the menu on your box - go to upgrade firmware. Choose ALLcode+Bootloader. Let it flash. Box will reboot. Rescan both terresrial and Satellite and see if there is any improvement.

Before you go down the route of Linux boxes, there is a learning curve. Also not all boxes are Enigma2 boxes, some are hacked to run their own ported version of E2 (like the Amiko boxes) rather than true E2 which is written for MIPS chipsets.

Advertisement