Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a cheapish way to keep door open, but not let cats escape?

• 04-04-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a cheapish way to keep a balcony door open, but not let cats escape? The single door opens outwards.

Mate is in an apartment complex, and wants to be able to leave the door onto the balcony ajar for fresh air (there are no windows in this room), but without the cats from getting out.

Have Googled for a while, but without success, as I'm not sure what I'll looking for.

Any changes can't be permanent (nails, screw, etc) as the apartment is rented.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Chicken wire? Put it over the whole door. Could hold it up with those stick on hooks if you didn't want to put in nails. Put a string on the door handle to pull it closed. Or you could put it on a simple wooden frame and put the frame over the open door. Wedge it in place with a chair.

McGyver has nothing on me.

Why can't the cats go out on the balcony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_nets/cat_nets/357373

Something like this would probably do the job. There's a few other types on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why can't the cats go out on the balcony?
    Not sure. All three cats are house cats, and there a few wild cats around. Also the people tend to drive fast in the complex, so I think she's afraid they'd get hit by someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My sis got a screen door last year

Dunno the company she used but something like the ones on here

http://www.bug-off.ie/doors.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You could probably screen off the balcony with chicken wire so you could have the door open and not worry about the cats getting out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If there is a balcony would it be possible to net the balcony itself to keep the cats in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think the balcony is 1st floor, so shall check if she can put anything on the balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

the_syco wrote: »
    I think the balcony is 1st floor, so shall check if she can put anything on the balcony.

If there is a balcony the same size above then the roofs done. I've had aviaries on the past so I'd think about making up some aviary panels to fit and also so they can be removed easily. Google pictures of aviary panels to get an idea of what I am on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Netting the balcony off sounds like the best solution. At least then the cats could go "outside" a bit, as well as being able to spy on the whole complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea netting the balcony is very common on the continent where apartment living is more prevalent. Hence Zooplus has a lot of cat nets and fixings aimed at that market

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Google 'catios' for inspiration:p

Advertisement