Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Cakes

Options
  • 04-04-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Have been trying a lot of new methods for these types of cakes, liquid colours are rubbish and have found that using gel based colours works a lot better, and also adding the colour when creaming the butter and sugar works best too, Any thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Have been trying a lot of new methods for these types of cakes, liquid colours are rubbish and have found that using gel based colours works a lot better, and also adding the colour when creaming the butter and sugar works best too, Any thoughts???

I use paste (mostly Sugarflair and Wilton), but I add them only when the mix is ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Gels or pastes work best I find. I also usually fold them in at the end when the mix is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you're adding the colour at the creaming stage, that means you're making 7 separate cake batters? Seriously?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For rainbow cake I add the gel at the end to a portion of the cake batter (from brightest to darkest). Only need to make a single cake batter then. Also, leave out teh yolks for brighter colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Agree with TREE, one batter, then divide into 5/6 equal weights, and add gel colours then. I use wiltons. Cheap as chips in Homestore and more.

I had a thread going on rainbow cakes a while back, if you do a search you might find some other helpful replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Was thinking of making one of these for my daughters birthday, what would you think about making up the sponges and freezing them once cooked & cooled - would they thaw out ok to be iced/decorated on day/day before party?

EJD wrote: »
    Was thinking of making one of these for my daughters birthday, what would you think about making up the sponges and freezing them once cooked & cooled - would they thaw out ok to be iced/decorated on day/day before party?

That's a great idea, wish I had thought of that when i made one of the cakes.
    Just use a suitable mix that freezes well. Less stress on the day to get the cake done!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Personally I am reluctant to freeze cakes but you can freeze them, just make sure you wrap them well, in at least 2 layers of baking parchment then foil. Then pop each layer in a freezer bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

My attempt from a few weeks ago.

I should have made the layers a bit thinner... Tasted good tho :)

Well done, it's HUGE! :-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

the-ging wrote: »
    My attempt from a few weeks ago.

I should have made the layers a bit thinner... Tasted good tho :)

Oh wow that is amazing, the colours are fantastic, how did you get them so vibrant!! well done :)

Advertisement