Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this lamp?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 11:26am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have taken a lamp out of an old washing machine. I need to use it as an indicator of power on.
    I have tried measuring the resistance of it without success. I presume that is because of its high resistance, or maybe its design. Anyway, what I would like to know is its wattage? I know it going to be very low, but I am curious as to how to find that answer.
    Here is an pic of the lamp.

344033.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Wearb wrote: »
    I have taken a lamp out of an old washing machine. I need to use it as an indicator of power on.
    I have tried measuring the resistance of it without success. I presume that is because of its high resistance, or maybe its design. Anyway, what I would like to know is its wattage? I know it going to be very low, but I am curious as to how to find that answer.
    Here is an pic of the lamp.

344033.jpg

It is a neon lamp like a phase tester. It will have a very high resistance or even appear as an open circuit. It is unlikely to be faulty unless it is physically damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea is will appear as an open circuit with multimeter's. I think they take around 1ma from 230v, making them about 0.23 watts or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea is will appear as an open circuit with multimeter's. I think they take around 1ma from 230v, making them about 0.23 watts or so.

Thanks for reply. You are not too far off, it read 1.5 ma, making it about .35 watts.
    I want to use it on the mains side of my changeover switch so that I can see when the power returns. Will put it in the switch box.

It would be typical of the sort of light used in a cooker switch or shower switch.

dingding wrote: »
    It would be typical of the sort of light used in a cooker switch or shower switch.

Is it the best choice for my needs, do you think ? Seen perfect for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It will do fine. I installed a stove the last couple of weeks and used an unswitched fused spur with neon to show when pumps come on.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It will do fine. I installed a stove the last couple of weeks and used an unswitched fused spur with neon to show when pumps come on.

Great. It will save me having to tape my "volt pen" to the mains side of the change over switch when the mains is down.

I had considered placing this (neon lamp) in a blanking socket plate in the living room, but it would need a lot of expensive add on's to protect its circuit.

Wearb wrote: »
    Great. It will save me having to tape my "volt pen" to the mains side of the change over switch when the mains is down.

I had considered placing this (neon lamp) in a blanking socket plate in the living room, but it would need a lot of expensive add on's to protect its circuit.

You could just get a switch with the neon light built in and: just use it for the light

dingding wrote: »
    You could just get a switch with the neon light built in and: just use it for the light

I thought of that. But I couldn't bring an unprotected wire all the way to the living room.

Advertisement