Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rre-frozen / melted ice-cream at Centra

Options
  • 04-04-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I got some Magnum (3pack) & Ben&Jerry's ice-cream at Centra yesterday.
    When opened at home, the magnum looked defrosted & frozen again with broken bits of chocolate etc... - have a picture.
    Ben&Jerry's were nearly melted - like a very thick smoothie.
    I threw them all to a bin...

Want to go there to get money back (have debit card receipt), but I think it would be worth or even more important to notify somebody about the practices at this Centra?
    In the past, my other half also bought melted ice-cream at the same place.....

In some other threads, found the following link RE who I can contact:
    ww.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Contact.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

greep wrote:
    In some other threads, found the following link RE who I can contact: ww.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Contact.html

If it makes you feel any better I bought (and ate a few bites of) some smoked fish from my local Centra that had gone off 12 weeks previously. Still makes me sick thinking about it. I had the HSE pay them a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get it out of the bin, take it back with the receipt, and get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

greep wrote: »
    I got some Magnum (3pack) & Ben&Jerry's ice-cream at Centra yesterday.
    When opened at home, the magnum looked defrosted & frozen again with broken bits of chocolate etc... - have a picture.
    Ben&Jerry's were nearly melted - like a very thick smoothie.
    I threw them all to a bin...

Want to go there to get money back (have debit card receipt), but I think it would be worth or even more important to notify somebody about the practices at this Centra?
    In the past, my other half also bought melted ice-cream at the same place.....

In some other threads, found the following link RE who I can contact:
    ww.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Contact.html

Ask them to take a temperature reading while you are there or show you the temperature display on the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Get it out of the bin, take it back with the receipt, and get a refund.

Will go to that Centra today as I believe they ice-cream 'consistency/texture' hasn't changed overnight & then show it to the manager.

Ask them to take a temperature reading while you are there or show you the temperature display on the freezer.

Thats irrelevant. The OP already said it was refrozen. Either the freezer defrosted at some stage or the stock was left out a freezer for a time.

• Advertisement

Thats irrelevant. The OP already said it was refrozen. Either the freezer defrosted at some stage or the stock was left out a freezer for a time.

The Magnum looked refrozen and the Ben and Jerry's was soft. Hence the freezer may not be operating properly. No harm in them checking....

The Magnum looked refrozen and the Ben and Jerry's was soft. Hence the freezer may not be operating properly. No harm in them checking....

Thats true. Ice cream will soften though on the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

something similar happened me with a frozen pizza - brought it right back and got a refund

Went to that place, talked to a manager, showed him the ice-cream are still soft & also pic. of Magnum from yesterday.
    He asked the staff to check the freezer & refunded the money with no issues.

The problem is that it is not an isolated case - I passed by another Centra & went in to check the ice-cream - they were exactly the same.... soft....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya but they are not going to show you their temperature logs etc, why would they!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Went to that place, talked to a manager, showed him the ice-cream are still soft & also pic. of Magnum from yesterday.

The problem is that it is not an isolated case - I passed by another Centra & went in to check the ice-cream - they were exactly the same.... soft....

If it would make you feel better OP then send them something through the link below, they'll note your complaint and probably not get back to you with much but sure no harm mentioning it.

https://centra.ie/contact

Ya but they are not going to show you their temperature logs etc, why would they!!

I didn't refer to their records, and I also doubt they would show these, I meant the current temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Centra is a franchise operation, very few are owned by the same person. This sounds like pure coincidence. Did you check other convenience stores? Spar? Londis etc? It's not a Centra specific issue.

THanks, I've sent them a note

athtrasna wrote: »
    Centra is a franchise operation, very few are owned by the same person. This sounds like pure coincidence. Did you check other convenience stores? Spar? Londis etc? It's not a Centra specific issue.

I can't recall Spar stocking Ben&Jerry's/Hagen Dazs, but went to Tesco & their ice-cream were perfectly fine :)

The simplest advice is to check before you buy (can do it with Ben & Jerry's & Hagen Dazs tubes, but not e.g. 3pk of magnum in a paper box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I can't recall Spar stocking Ben&Jerry's/Hagen Dazs, but went to Tesco & their ice-cream were perfectly fine :)

The simplest advice is to check before you buy (can do it with Ben & Jerry's & Hagen Dazs tubes, but not e.g. 3pk of magnum in a paper box)

Not comparing like with like. A large supermarket will use different freezers to convenience stores. And my local spar certainly stocks those ice cream brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Where's the issue for the hse?

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

delahuntv wrote: »
    Where's the issue for the hse?

<SNIP>

Refrozen Ice Cream seems to turn to ice.

It is virtually inedible and tastes absolutely nothing like it is supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It's peoples fault, no clue why but in Ireland people for some reason take stuff out of the freezer/fridge and then decide they don't want it and dump it in some other section ruining it for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

noodler wrote: »
    Refrozen Ice Cream seems to turn to ice.

It is virtually inedible and tastes absolutely nothing like it is supposed to.

Not a HSE issue - more an issue for ths Ice Cream distributor & retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

delahuntv wrote: »
    Not a HSE issue - more an issue for ths Ice Cream distributor & retailer.

It could be, what if their food management is not up to standards, would you buy chicken from a place with dodgy freezers or practice's?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@delahuntv - let's refrain from offering advice like the above, and leave it to the professional authorities to provide those guidelines.

dudara

Advertisement