Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shortcrust pastry ok uncooked overnight?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I'm making a tart tomorrow and will be a bit tight for time. I was thinking of making shortcrust pastry and leaving it uncooked in fridge overnight and baking in the morning. has anyone tried this before, will it affect the pastry in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yes it works well, I always chill my pastry before rolling and sometimes chill the crust/pastry base for a couple of hours or overnight. I've frozen an uncooked, assembled tart but I've never assembled one and chilled it for any length of time. Can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work though - just don't glaze it until right before you put it in the oven. I'm assuming apple tart - if it's rhubarb I would leave assembly until tomorrow because it could all be too moist, but you could still have the base and top pre-rolled and the filling prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I sometimes freeze unbaked pastry in the tin and bake it from frozen. I never have any issues with it. Works perfectly chilled overnight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

This will be perfectly fine op. Its actually recommended that you chill pastry for at least 20mins in the firdge before rolling it out. Just make sure its wrapped tightly in cling film.

Advertisement