Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overall protein consumption more significant than amino acid profile

Options
  • 04-04-2015 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

I did some research and was surprised to find that any halfway decent source of protein appeared to easily satisfy your requirements for essential amino acids, taking digestibility into account. I thought I might have a mistake somewhere but found similar results tabulated here: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein.php

Even though the article on that page suggests lysine is a big deal the actual data clearly indicates that for pretty much anything people think of as a protein source the daily requirement for lysine is satisfied well before the daily requirement for raw protein.

For example, oatmeal is not generally considered a complete protein source; just a decent source as cereal ones go. However, for a 90kg person, 12.2 servings of boiled oatmeal is required to meet daily protein requirements, while 10.8 will cover the lysine requirement.

The protein requirement used is .8g per kg body weight. This is slightly higher than the minimum specified by WHO which is .66g per kg. However this does not effect the conclusion that overall protein intake is the limiting factor rather than specific amino acids - unless you try to live off bread and rice or something. There is plenty of evidence that protein intake of .8g per kg is a better guideline, or even up to 1.6g in some cases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

@85kg, to get 0.8g/kg protein from a single food:

764g cooked chick peas. (limited by total protein)
    756g cooked lentils (limited by mth)
    2696g of porridge made with water (limited by total protein)
    442g tempeh (limited by total protein)
    about 600g tofu (limited by total protein assumed)
    419g seitan (limited by lysine)

Alternatively about 220g lentils and 220g seitan would complement each other to fill all requirements between them.

The data for the amino composition is from the same link, except I noticed it gives 0 for tryptophan in seitan, which is incorrect. It has a decent level of it. (source here: http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19501403282.html;jsessionid=5978BC9A51EC3BCE2DBC9F69C1E0DB92 )

The very bad PCDAAS score I've found listed for gluten is odd; perhaps based on low lysine content. Found a paper which gives good evidence it is highly digestable - moreso than tuna protein; close to the digestibility of egg protein. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/33/3/677.full.pdf+html

Digestibility scores tend to be around 85% from what I've seen for vegetable proteins. I think the .8g/kg suggested amount probably factors this in and explains the discreprency with .66g/kg quoted in other very credible sources.

I found it interesting that it is more difficult to get sufficient protein from plant foods than I really credited if you are bigger than average. I also found it interesting that gluten/seitan is such a great vegetarian proten source, especially when combined with lysine sources. I had always pretty much dismissed wheat protein because I had an exagerated notion of its lack of lysine.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

So 12.2 servings of porridge will set me up the day protein wise?... awesome!!

Also what is this seitan you speak of? Sounds like some devil worship voodoo to me!

Are there recommendations you can give for a more every day veggie protein source in a normal consumable amount that provides the required amino acids in a day? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Some seeds and grains like quinoa and soy are 'complete' proteins. It's not really worth worrying too much about though. Just eat a variety of foods and eat enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A pint of soymilk and a tin of no added sugar baked beans is 70% of most peoples requirement.

Obviously you then need to have good food to back it up.

It's 70% of the protein requirement of someone who weighs 62.5kg, or just under 10 stone, assuming they are not fatter than expected. (Fat does not increase protein requirement.)
    It's more than 70% of the requirement if you are lighter than that. It's less than 70% if you weigh more. There is also good evidence (referenced in first link) that increasing protein intake is beneficial if you exercise - sometimes up to twice as much.

I've also been reading about phytic acid, which isoften mentioned as an antinutrient. It seems like its effects in this regard are blown out of proportion, and that benefits, such as being anti-carcinogenic are often ignored. It also is greatly reduced from normal food preparation - cooking, soaking, leavening. As I understand it these activities cause phytase that exist in the foods to intract with the phytic acid and reduce it effectively. (The relevance of it here is that it is present in many vegetarian protein sources, particularly in unfermented soy.)

• Advertisement

Also what is this seitan you speak of? Sounds like some devil worship voodoo to me!

Are there recommendations you can give for a more every day veggie protein source in a normal consumable amount that provides the required amino acids in a day? :)
    Well porridge has about double the protein if you make it with soy milk or cow's milk etc. (Milk also makes it taste nice instead of horrible.)

I think you personally would easily get enough protein for a day from about four servings of porridge made with soy milk.

Protein requirements depend on your size. Standardised RDAs are a bit misleading because people are not all the same size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seitan is a "fake meat" made from gluten flour and is delicious. It's 80% protein in the purest forms. You can make it yourself if you buy the flour too. They sell giant bags of it on amazon.

There is also an irish site selling it and it's on some health shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I've tried the Seitan made a few different ways but actually find the texture too much like meat so not into it at all. I'm getting more into lentils and less into quorn; think I've just od'd on the quorn chicken style pieces. Have been adding more pumpkin and sesame seeds to stir frys... and other good seeds or nuts you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Have been adding more pumpkin and sesame seeds to stir frys... and other good seeds or nuts you'd recommend?

Cashew nuts are amazing in stir frys. Some Asian shops will sell larger ones just for that purpose!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I always buy 1kg bags from teh asian supermarkets, roast them separately from the stir fry and throw them in at the end, oh god I'm drooling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement