Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS IT TOO LATE

Options
  • 04-04-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

After wrecking my back in Feb, although now" back":confused: in action I am now stuck with several bare root fruit trees to plant. Is it too late, any advice appreciated, also is it too late to prune my other fruit trees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its getting late but get them in in the next week as the weather is starting to get warmer. They would be better in place than in temporary accommodation for the summer. Keep them well watered for this year anyway - no point in sprinkling water, they need a bucketful each when you water them, weather depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

thanks looksee, I will try to get them in this weekend, thanks for your advice D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

david65 wrote: »
    After wrecking my back in Feb, although now" back":confused: in action I am now stuck with several bare root fruit trees to plant. Is it too late, any advice appreciated, also is it too late to prune my other fruit trees?

No harm in getting them in and see what happens. You can't really lose out can you?

Prune apples and pears ASAP and plums and cherries in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

david65 wrote: »

You can always plant bare roots in pots, first soak overnight in water and plant in pots filled with reasonable soil. Store in a cool shaded area for weeks, months or longer until you are ready to plant.

In regard to pruning existing trees, it will all depend on condition of trees and current status, for example, if they are very untidy and/or showing plenty of new flowering buds, I would think it too late for any pruning as it will significantly impact on this year's fruit crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

Thanks for your advice. The trees are in a very neglected state so I will leave them over until winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement