Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders just left, need to relawn

• 04-04-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there

We just had an extension, builders now gone but both front and back lawns need to be sorted. There's shale, slate and lots of stones etc. I think there's no choice but to redo the two lawns.

Just wondering if there are any tips?

I think it's a case of digging it all up, skipping the top few inches, and then getting topsoil and then lawn rolls. From some of the threads here a rotavator probably won't work as the ground is hard, full of stones, shale etc.

Thanks for any feedback / tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Strip the topsoil and relawn the lawn from scratch would be best IME. Between rubbish and compaction the soil would need to be broken up really well to re-aerate the topsoil.

The other concern would be machine diesel or contaminants from concrete, mixing agents, that kind of thing lying in the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

zacharius wrote: »
    Hi there

We just had an extension, builders now gone but both front and back lawns need to be sorted. There's shale, slate and lots of stones etc. I think there's no choice but to redo the two lawns.

Just wondering if there are any tips?

I think it's a case of digging it all up, skipping the top few inches, and then getting topsoil and then lawn rolls. From some of the threads here a rotavator probably won't work as the ground is hard, full of stones, shale etc.

Thanks for any feedback / tips

Unless the ground conditions are very poorly eg very compacted, visible signs of contaminations (spills etc), I would suggest the following:

- remove all debris and waste
    - scrape and remove damaged layer (max 50mm)
    - rake and re-grade top layer to provide a reasonable level and top dress with a 50:50 mix of horticultural sand & compost
    - apply new lawn fertiliser and install roll out lawn

Note: if the ground is compacted, an alternative to rotovating etc as the disturbance will involve more work (rolling to avoid subsidence etc post installing new lawn) instead clean as above and leave to rest for 2-4 weeks.

A great lawn starts with good ground preparation but digging up everything isn't always necessary nor desirable!

Advertisement