Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Economics - HDip in maths or in Econ ?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello everyone,

I am currently studying Law in France. However, I wish to do a PhD in Economics. At first, I thought about doing the Higher Diploma in Economics at UCD, but after reading about entry requirements for a PhD in several universities, I noticed that lots of program were requiring a important knowledge in mathematics.

Therefore, I was wondering if it would not be better to do a Higher Diploma in Mathematical Sciences.

What would you advise me to do ? HDip in Economics or HDip in Mathematics.

Thank you !

Mélodie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Contact the universities directly, they are in the best position to answer your question. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Melodie31 wrote: »
    What would you advise me to do ? HDip in Economics or HDip in Mathematics.
    This might be bad advice but in my experience most PhDs nowadays require you to take at least 15 - 30 credits worth of modules. Why don't you just go straight for the PhD and use those modules to improve any weaknesses you may have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Melodie31

Kavrocks wrote: »
    This might be bad advice but in my experience most PhDs nowadays require you to take at least 15 - 30 credits worth of modules. Why don't you just go straight for the PhD and use those modules to improve any weaknesses you may have?

Thank you for your reply ! I am just afraid that no PhD would accept me without any background in maths or economics. I am a law student in France right now, and I would love to work on law and economics. But every PhD programs I look at specified that I need to have some background in maths and economics. Therefore I am not sure I can get in any PhD program right now...

Melodie31 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply ! I am just afraid that no PhD would accept me without any background in maths or economics. I am a law student in France right now, and I would love to work on law and economics. But every PhD programs I look at specified that I need to have some background in maths and economics. Therefore I am not sure I can get in any PhD program right now...

Again, why don't you contact someone at each of the PhD programmes you have looked at, and ask how best you could fulfil their criteria? You could also look at the profiles of current PhD students in each department to see their qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Melodie31

innad wrote: »
    Again, why don't you contact someone at each of the PhD programmes you have looked at, and ask how best you could fulfil their criteria? You could also look at the profiles of current PhD students in each department to see their qualifications.

Sorry for not replying the first time !

I did contact some of them via email, but the problem is that each and every time, they just send me exactly what is said on the website, without really answering my questions (I am not actually sure they read it). But I going to keep asking some other programs nonetheless.

• Advertisement

In that case, looking at the qualifications of current Economics PhD students might be your best bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I think math. Plenty of people have BAs in Econ. Good grad schools are always on the look out for skills and at least if you change your mind, a BA in math will set you up well for other careers.

Advertisement