Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live in Roscommon- Commute to work in Galway?

• 04-04-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. Am considering moving to Roscommon. Husband is in IT so would look for a job in Galway. What areas of Roscommon would be a reasonable commuting distance, say about 40 mins? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Commute to Galway city?
    I presume you want to live in a rural location, as I don't think any town in county Roscommon is less than an hour to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the traffic getting into galway in the mornings is supposed to be worse then Dublin, like the other fella said no where in ros would be that close, maybe some where like tuam would be better. There might be a better choice for food and pubs and the like some where like that too,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Angela26

Thanks guys. Yeah we'd be looking at a rural area. We live in the countryside now, in Wicklow. We love the peace and quiet and we don't mind a half hour drive to a supermarket or whatever. Would there be anywhere rural that comes to mind? We don't mind it being isolated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

What about out towards Clare or else connymara direction, you could be near the sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I love Roscommon and would highly recommend Roscommon town, but not familiar with the Galway side of things.
    I'd find that kind of commute a nightmare!
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I know people who commute to Dublin 3/4 times a week from Roscommon Town.

Galway wouldn't be too bad, be a bit over the hour. And depends which side of the city you'd be working in. Going through Claregalway would be very busy in the mornings. Going in motorway/Oranmore might not be as bad.

Places like Athleague, Four Roads, Curraghboy towards Athlone would be your best bet.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Roscommon Town is about one hour to Galway City (East side) via the motorway joining in Athlone. A lot of IT companies are on this side of the city so assuming you r looking at a start time of 815 or so it d be no prob (or after 930) to avoid the worst of the traffic. The biggest problem would be having to cross Galway city which could nearly double your journey.

Is it Roscommon Town specifically ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Angela26 wrote: »
    Hi all. Am considering moving to Roscommon. Husband is in IT so would look for a job in Galway. What areas of Roscommon would be a reasonable commuting distance, say about 40 mins? Thanks very much.

I'm doing this commute for close to 8 years. About 55 min to 65 minutes each way, depending on local traffic like the odd tractor or truck as traffic coming from Galway in the morning is generally heavy enough, which makes overtaking opportunities few and far between. I encounter no problems at all with my commute and I can safely say it's not like Dublin as I travel to Dublin a lot for early meetings etc. Sun is always on your back too when driving to and from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Angela26

Thanks very much for all the replies lads. We hope to manage a few days in the West during the summer and could try driving a few routes to see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Tisrara or Athleague would be my suggestions. Grand auld road to Gaillimh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement