Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship Electrician part time Dublin

• 04-04-2015 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi i'm thinking of doing a trade / apprenticeship as an Electrician i have no previous experience working with electrics , I work part time at the moment and would like to do an a trade part time. I'm not sure what the chances are in finding someone that will take someone on part time can anyone here advice ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi i'm thinking of doing a trade / apprenticeship as an Electrician i have no previous experience working with electrics , I work part time at the moment and would like to do an a trade part time. I'm not sure what the chances are in finding someone that will take someone on part time can anyone here advice ?

A full time apprenticeship takes 4 years to complete. As far as I know there is no part time alternative to this. The apprenticeship is made up of a number of "phases" (14 I think). A number of these phases comprise of full days in college.

Why do you want to do it part time? I assume that you are aware that apprentices are paid. The rate of pay increases as each year is completed. I am unsure of the current rates of pay, but typically electrical apprentices are amongst the best paid apprentices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Long time since I served my time but is it not 7 phases ? Phase 2,4,6 in school and 1,3,5,7 on the job? Or has it changed recently?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Long time since I served my time but is it not 7 phases ? Phase 2,4,6 in school and 1,3,5,7 on the job? Or has it changed recently?

You could be right, there was no passes when I did it. We spent about 3 or 4 months in college each of the four years.

Thankfully demand for this trade appears to be on the increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

There's seven phases and it's full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

2011 wrote: »
    electrical apprentices are amongst the best paid apprentices.

€242.58/week roughly €6.20 an hour for first years. Assuming you work for a subbie or one of the bigger firms they might pay you subsistence. If it's domestic you'd do well to be paid 6quid an hour, I'd imagine.

I can't see you getting to do it part-time, could be wrong but I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

What's your education history and have you any experience on sites, Safe Pass, etc?

Years ago anyone with a Junior Cert could land an apprenticeship with relative ease. My brother walked onto a site one day to look for a manual labouring job, and came home that evening as an apprentice electrician! He's made a great success of it since. Nowadays it's different. Even before the recession things were starting to change. Firms can afford to look for Leaving Cert's now because there's such competition for positions. Leaving Cert maths, technical drawing, construction studies and engineering would look well on a CV, as would a second language, as some of the very large firms have a European element. However, that should't scare anyone off. If I'm not mistaken, you still only need a Junior Cert, but just be aware of what you'll be up against. I suspect that the Leaving Cert, etc. will mean more to the larger firms.

Best of luck.

€242.58/week roughly €6.20 an hour for first years. Assuming you work for a subbie or one of the bigger firms they might pay you subsistence. If it's domestic you'd do well to be paid 6quid an hour, I'd imagine.

I can't see you getting to do it part-time, could be wrong but I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Was 133 pounds when I started per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was 133 pounds when I started per week

I got €220 but I think I made more each week by doing the shop runs for the tea break :D

I started on £1.34 per hour as a 1st year in January 1991. We also got paid an additional 10 hours travel pay, a small amount of meal money, tool money and the price of a weekly bus ticket. At the end of the week which included working on Saturday until 2:30pm I came out with about £90

2nd year was so much better. It amounted to a 50% increase in the hourly rate. Makes me feel old :(

I got €220 but I think I made more each week by doing the shop runs for the tea break :D

You'd have too master the art of the tea break list and round everything up!! Breakfast roll & bottle of coke and pack of crisps was easily 10 quid :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement